Jaw Spasms

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jennynnej

Jaw Spasms

#1 Post by jennynnej »

Hi there! I am due to have double jaw surgery to correct my underbite in about 4-6 weeks. While reading up on what to expect, I read about jaw spasms in recovery and it really freaked me out! I was just wondering if anyone who has been through the surgery and gotten them could tell me what they were like? Did they hurt a lot? Were they very sudden? When in recovery did they occur and when did they stop occurring? Thank you! :)

Nozzelnut

Re: Jaw Spasms

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

They were pretty random for me. Most were gone by week 3. Not that painful at all.

On the scale of things to worry about they were low on my list. You'll be too busy trying to stay hydrated and "eating" something.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

jaime

#3 Post by jaime »

They started occurring for me maybe a few days after surgery and they lasted a few months in decreasing frequency. I'd say at most it was like twice a day, then it was every few days, then maybe once a week, then even less often than that.

Unlike Nozzelnut, mine were a little painful. The saving graces are that 1) you have no idea when it's going to happen, 2) it lasts only a second, and 3) the pain only lasted during the spasm.

I found it would happen when I was talking because I was moving my muscles.

Like Nozzel said, I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds freaky but it really is a non-issue. It's not even really that painful, either.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

jennynnej

#4 Post by jennynnej »

[quote="Nozzelnut"]They were pretty random for me. Most were gone by week 3. Not that painful at all.

On the scale of things to worry about they were low on my list. You'll be too busy trying to stay hydrated and "eating" something.[/quote]

Thank you! This is reassuring.

jennynnej

#5 Post by jennynnej »

[quote="jaime"]They started occurring for me maybe a few days after surgery and they lasted a few months in decreasing frequency. I'd say at most it was like twice a day, then it was every few days, then maybe once a week, then even less often than that.

Unlike Nozzelnut, mine were a little painful. The saving graces are that 1) you have no idea when it's going to happen, 2) it lasts only a second, and 3) the pain only lasted during the spasm.

I found it would happen when I was talking because I was moving my muscles.

Like Nozzel said, I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds freaky but it really is a non-issue. It's not even really that painful, either.[/quote]

Thank you, this really helps! Hopefully if I do get them they won't be too bad.

sakura

#6 Post by sakura »

Had these after the first few days of surgery. They were weird and sharp in pain but they last a few seconds at most. Nothing to prepare for them but they were so short that I didn't worry about it.