SARPE, Class 2 surgery = broken jaw and nerves? Paresthesia

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

krzysiek

#1 Post by krzysiek »

Hi

I was just wondering...

http://bracesnfaces.com.au/treatment/corrections.asp#s - see class 2 treatment (surgery)

If they cut my low jaw to push it forward they also cut nerves that run in the jaw bone, do not they? So if they cut them I will forever have numbness of tongue, lip etc?

And what about SARPE and paresthesia, does it happen during that surgery too?

thank you (please post links about that risk during SARPE and surgery shwon @ bracesnfaces.com.au)

I have found that on the web and it is about wisdom teeth removal only, surgery is much more difficult :( !

Code: Select all

Paresthesia
A less frequently occurring complication associated with the removal of wisdom teeth is that of "paresthesia". Wisdom teeth can be positioned in the jaw in a manner in which they lie in close proximity to nerves. Sometimes during the process of extracting a wisdom tooth these nerves can be bruised or damaged. As a result, numbness of the tongue, lip, or chin may occur. (Having this condition is termed "paresthesia".) 

The sensation of paresthesia can be similar to that feeling you have when a dentist uses an anesthetic to "numb up" a tooth, only instead of disappearing in a few hours the numbness persists. Usually paresthesia is temporary, lasting days, weeks, or a few months, however if a nerve has been severely damaged the paresthesia may be permanent. 

dr.j

numbness

#2 Post by dr.j »

During a mandibular advancement surgery the osteotomy or "bone cut" occurs behind the entrance of the nerve into the body of the mandible. Your nerves are not cut. but the risk remains...

Dr.J
Dr.J - Ortho

katemm06

#3 Post by katemm06 »

Hi,

I had SARPE and my wisdom teeth removed in August, and I have practically all of my feeling back. My upper lip was numb for several weeks, but overall I've been healing really well. I'm back in my normal routine now with no negative side effects to report.

Unfortunately, there is always the risk of permanent nerve damage or other complications in these types of oral surgeries.

Good luck with your decision!

par

#4 Post by par »

Hi members,

Do you have any info on the paresthesia subject? Do paresthesia symptoms change a lot when with different causes?