June 2016 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceurself91

June 2016 Surgery Buddies

#1 Post by braceurself91 »

I have been in braces for close to a year now and am scheduled to have surgery on June 6th, 2016. I have a class III under bite and will be undergoing lower jaw surgery to have my lower jaw moved back a couple millimeters. As far as I know, I will be wired shut for about 10 days and have an expected recovery time of around 4-6 weeks.

As the surgery slowly approaches, I find myself getting more and more nervous. I wanted to reach out to see if there were any other folks who might be going through the same or a similar experience in June as well? Would love to know your story and have someone to connect with during the recovery process.

Thanks! :D

King6james2

Re: June Surgery Buddies

#2 Post by King6james2 »

Im on day 37 post up double jaw surgery. It is not as bad as i thought. Its more of a discomfort feeling pain level about 3/10 its not that bad really. First week is the hardest because its hard to sleep and eat but its gets easier and time goes by faster after that. Just take alot of rest dont do anything physical drink lots of water and stock up on baby food, protein, ice cream, yogurt, oatmeal.

KatMarie99

#3 Post by KatMarie99 »

I don't have exact date yet but it will be sometime this Summer. My ortho said I can set a date at my next appointment once we take the molds, which is May 2nd.

This is my second surgery (had lower jaw surgery 10 years ago, but it didn't fully correct the problem) and I am having lower and upper done. Since my teeth are already straight they are just trying to pull my lower teeth upright/forward a little. They were very tilted back to compensate for an under bite. After surgery they will then use an instrument to essentially crank my teeth forward 1mm a day for ~a week to get my bite in proper position once they bring my upper jaw forward as well.

Nervous for double jaw surgery, especially being able to breathe post surgery. But ready to get it over with and move on :)

Since you are less than two months away, do you have a bunch of pre op stuff going on?

specky

#4 Post by specky »

Hello! I'm new here...will be having surgery June 2nd!! Under 2 months away! I'm having BSSO and possibly IVRO surgery also! I've currently had braces for 11 months. But, this is my second round in braces! I originally had braces for 3 years, was in a 5 year waiting period for my jaw to settle down and stop growing...now here I am!!

Nomes

#5 Post by Nomes »

Hey guys! How exciting to hear there are others going through the same stresses as I :)

My surgery is set for the 8th June. However it has been moved twice already so I'm not getting my hopes up.

I have already started documenting my jaw journey on Instagram. Would love it if you would follow me for pictures, recipes, recovery etc.

Best of luck to you all xxx

Nomes

#6 Post by Nomes »

Hehehe forgot to put my account name: nomes_vs_jawsurgery

specky

#7 Post by specky »

June 8th! How exciting, mine is still set for the 2nd, so we will be very close!!! What are you having done? Are you excited or nervous? Do you feel ready?

mrkdilkington

#8 Post by mrkdilkington »

My surgery with Dr. Relle in LA is July 7th. I'm getting a 3-piece lefort & ccw bsso (i.e. maxillomandibular advancement) for sleep apnea and an anterior open bite.

braceurself91

#9 Post by braceurself91 »

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply to all of your great posts! It's awesome to know so many people are going through the same or similar experience. I would love to know how everyone is getting ready for their post surgery recovery. I'm currently trying to put together a list of all of the food I should buy. Any suggestions outside of the obvious milkshake, smoothie, ensure suggestions??

Also Nomes, I would love to follow your jaw surgery IG account :)

Branwillaws

#10 Post by Branwillaws »

I had my double jaw surgery last week, so not quite June. I had a serious underbite that pointed to the left. the plan that worked for me was to keep my lower jaw where its at instead of moving it back, i suffer from mild sleep apnea and apparently in some cases moving the lower jaw back can worsen any sort of sleep apnea. So I had a lefort 1, with a 6mm advancement and my lower jaw corrected. I'm 9 days post op, i feel great, the pain is like 2/10. I spent 2 nights in the hospital, walked 5km 2 days after that. I have no splint, no elastics no wires. The swelling was a bit brutal the first 3 days but after a week its not so bad. I drink lots of water/ice tea, boost drinks or ensure, soups. the worst part is the liquid diet. If you have any questions ill be happy to answer anything i can!

mrkdilkington

#11 Post by mrkdilkington »

[quote="Branwillaws"]I had my double jaw surgery last week, so not quite June. I had a serious underbite that pointed to the left. the plan that worked for me was to keep my lower jaw where its at instead of moving it back, i suffer from mild sleep apnea and apparently in some cases moving the lower jaw back can worsen any sort of sleep apnea. So I had a lefort 1, with a 6mm advancement and my lower jaw corrected. I'm 9 days post op, i feel great, the pain is like 2/10. I spent 2 nights in the hospital, walked 5km 2 days after that. I have no splint, no elastics no wires. The swelling was a bit brutal the first 3 days but after a week its not so bad. I drink lots of water/ice tea, boost drinks or ensure, soups. the worst part is the liquid diet. If you have any questions ill be happy to answer anything i can![/quote]
Thanks for sharing. Did you have any issues with nasal airflow before the surgery, and if so has it been improved? I've read that a lefort 1 advancement can help nasal breathing.

Branwillaws

#12 Post by Branwillaws »

Yes infact I have asthma and a slightly deviated nose. It's a little too early to tell you how much better it is but it is better, my surgeon helped clean it up a bit. The breathing is pretty much what justified me going through this to begin with. The worst symptom I'm having is the crazy nose bleeds. I actually didn't even have any the first week they just started and it's super annoying. Lots of blood clots and in the throat as well. But like I said the pain is like nothing so I can't complain. I was very stressed with the surgery but now I wouldn't hesitate doing it again lol the worst days is the 48 hours after.

maravilla

#13 Post by maravilla »

Not really June baby, but had single jaw surgery 3 days ago. Lower jaw is heaps swollen, im a mess when it comes to eating, everything drops on the table :lol:

Pain is pretty much non existent at the moment, is this normal? Also i was rinsing my mouth and gargling and notice blood came out... bit concerned that my stitches came off.

Anyone else get back into the gym around 4-5 post surgery? Im planning to go again, but will obviously be lifting light weight with no running/jumping or is this not recommended for the first week?

Branwillaws

#14 Post by Branwillaws »

Having no feeling in the lower jaw including chin and lower lip is normal I'm 10days post op swelling is much better. The blood clots is normal I cough a couple up each day unfortunately it's not very pleasant. I'm starting to get some feeling back already. I had my 1 week post op yesterday and the surgeon was very surprised with how good I'm doing and how fast I'm healing. But like you I want to workout but I was told to wait.. I would ask your surgeon.

finnan13

#15 Post by finnan13 »

I'm due to have upper and lower jaw surgery on 13th June. Starting to feel very nervous!