How long did everyone have braces before surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tinymandibleAZ

Re: How long did everyone have braces before surgery

#16 Post by tinymandibleAZ »

I think there is no "set" amount of pre-operative orthodontic time. Each case is unique.

There is a huge advantage to having braces that I don't see discussed much: They make you look years younger! :)

ZiziOConnor

#17 Post by ZiziOConnor »

tinymandibleAZ wrote:There is a huge advantage to having braces that I don't see discussed much: They make you look years younger! :)
So true! I'm 31 and I get ID'd almost every time I buy wine now.

Unfortunately something that goes along with "looking younger" is "being taken less seriously".

I work from home as a consultant and hardly ever meet with clients. If I still worked in an office, I don't think I would have done it!
Skeletal open bite (long face)
Self-ligating braces installed 3 Nov 2015.
Double jaw surgery 17 Jan 2017.
Upper jaw expanded and moved up and forward 2 mm. Mandible moved forward 6 mm.
https://www.instagram.com/jawsurgery.dani/

StefanoMI

#18 Post by StefanoMI »

From May 2014 to January 2016....1 year and 8 months.

tdhenson86

#19 Post by tdhenson86 »

I've had mine for 9 months now. The orthodontist anticipates it to be around 12 months before surgery, but he said my teeth are getting close. I think we are just waiting for some gaps to close.

lemonweeps

#20 Post by lemonweeps »

I will only have mine on for 2 months. Having surgery soon. However, they did not tighten the braces, they just put it on so that they can take readings and stuff. I am doing the surgery first alternative. :)

criminity

#21 Post by criminity »

I just got my braces and they told me about 18 months depending on how fast my teeth move. I'm hoping for sooner!

ClarissaDKent

#22 Post by ClarissaDKent »

[quote="CandyApple"]7 months for me as of now and 8 by the time of surgery[/quote

HI CandyApple,
I wonder was it because you had braces before or did you not have much to move around? I ask because I had a 7 millimeter diastema in my top front teeth 2 millimeters diastema between my bottom front teeth, I had a BSSO done at 10.5 months in braces and they set me back 7 millimeters though I was ready for surgery at 8 months as well(Christmas 2015 was coming so I couldn't have surgery in December).

The impression from my orthodontist was that it's fairly rare for someone to be in braces for less than a year before they have surgery.

MagnoliaMama

#23 Post by MagnoliaMama »

I was only in my braces for 7 months prior.

Segmental LeFort I and BSSO at 34 years old, 8 months after being back in braces for the third time. First two rounds of ortho were as a kid and teenager. I was originally slated for surgery at 16 until a new orthodontist convinced my parents that she could "fix" me non-surgically. Twenty years and loads of molar wear later...here I am!

sparkles

#24 Post by sparkles »

LOL I thought I was award winning with my 8 years worth of treatment until I read Mart's reply above.
I was initially told 18 months before surgery, then I was told 3 years.
I ended up in braces for 6 years and 4 months prior to BSSO. Then was still in braces for another 5 months after surgery.
I'm still not finished treatment yet as I need to have my top left central incisor restored with an implant. I should be all done with a total treatment time of 8 years and 30 days or so.

Branwillaws

#25 Post by Branwillaws »

Had my braces 1 month before my SARPE surgery and 15 months before the double jaw. Im expected to have them for 24 months.