Second surgery finished..Late to the party!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Branwillaws

Second surgery finished..Late to the party!

#1 Post by Branwillaws »

Hello everyone. I'm 9 days post op of my double jaw surgery (lefort 1 6mm advancement) and a bsso asymmetrical (lower jaw pointed to the left) My surgery was 18 may 2016. I had also the SARPE surgery last year, 25 march 2015, and started my ortho treatment with braces plus expander 17th feb 2015. So far the experience has been pretty good! I no longer have that annoying palate expander stuck in my mouth, was taken out in feb. I have lurked these forums before and decided to finally just say hello and hopefully can help and share my experience with people or perhaps learn from others!

BrooklynsOwn

Re: Second surgery finished..Late to the party!

#2 Post by BrooklynsOwn »

You seem to take this surgery pretty easy. Some people say its the hardest 3 weeks of their life post-op do you agree? Is it hard to breath? How is your numbness?

Branwillaws

#3 Post by Branwillaws »

BrooklynsOwn wrote:You seem to take this surgery pretty easy. Some people say its the hardest 3 weeks of their life post-op do you agree? Is it hard to breath? How is your numbness?
To be honest the hardest part is the whole diet and keeping busy. The first few days were rough but as for breathing while in the hospital I had air which helped a lot I used it when I slept. My numbness has gone down a lot I only really feel numb on my chin and lower lip. But I'll move on to the bad part of my recovery. I recently have been having sever nose bleeds, I was hospitalized Monday night because the bleeding wouldn't stop and I passed out. I had no problems the first week it started last Friday. During my surgery I did lose a lot of blood which is one of the risks of surgery. I think to be honest I'm doing to much and being too active maybe. As far as pain goes there is like none. My swelling is much better. I see my surgeon tomorrow for my 2nd post op so I'll see what he says about the nose bleeds.

CCinBraces

#4 Post by CCinBraces »

Care to share any pics for us to get a better idea of what to expect?

Branwillaws

#6 Post by Branwillaws »

Got a pre op pic. A pic the day after. The pic of me outside is 4 days post op. Me eating the kraft dinner is the most recent a few days old. I'm 4 weeks post op today by the way. Feeling pretty good but I'm bored I start work on Tuesday thank God. 30 days was way too long !

Branwillaws

#7 Post by Branwillaws »

6 weeks post op now. Guess that's the half way point. Had my first ortho appointment today since pre op. It was long and painful. They did a lot of work. Changing wires. Elastics ect.. I now have to wear 4 elastics in a specific position at least 16 hours a day.. basically I have a box pattern in the very back on both sides and a weird tri point pattern basically the elastics attach on 2 teeth on the bottom and 1 on top. This is by far the most painful ortho appointment I have had.. it sucks because I was really starting to get back into things. Anyway I'm doing well aside from all that.

tylerjwilson

#8 Post by tylerjwilson »

I'm nervous about mine! It was supposed to be next week, but my ortho is off all week due to the holiday, so it was bumped back another week. I know I have 2 brackets that popped off, but are still hanging on with the wire ties. He said that we'll take care of that at my appointment. My upper arch wire is also cut into 3 sections, due to the 3-piece lefort. That will also be replaced. I'm still a little tender and afraid to touch things, so I'm hoping in the next just shy of 2 weeks, that things will start to feel a little more solid. Nothing moves when I touch it, I'm just nervous.

BrooklynsOwn

#9 Post by BrooklynsOwn »

Branwillaws wrote:
BrooklynsOwn wrote:You seem to take this surgery pretty easy. Some people say its the hardest 3 weeks of their life post-op do you agree? Is it hard to breath? How is your numbness?
To be honest the hardest part is the whole diet and keeping busy. The first few days were rough but as for breathing while in the hospital I had air which helped a lot I used it when I slept. My numbness has gone down a lot I only really feel numb on my chin and lower lip. But I'll move on to the bad part of my recovery. I recently have been having sever nose bleeds, I was hospitalized Monday night because the bleeding wouldn't stop and I passed out. I had no problems the first week it started last Friday. During my surgery I did lose a lot of blood which is one of the risks of surgery. I think to be honest I'm doing to much and being too active maybe. As far as pain goes there is like none. My swelling is much better. I see my surgeon tomorrow for my 2nd post op so I'll see what he says about the nose bleeds.

Did you pass out from blood loss? Did you need a transfusion? Did I ask who your surgeon was? Do you mind telling?

BrooklynsOwn

#10 Post by BrooklynsOwn »

Branwillaws wrote:Hello everyone. I'm 9 days post op of my double jaw surgery (lefort 1 6mm advancement) and a bsso asymmetrical (lower jaw pointed to the left) My surgery was 18 may 2016. I had also the SARPE surgery last year, 25 march 2015, and started my ortho treatment with braces plus expander 17th feb 2015. So far the experience has been pretty good! I no longer have that annoying palate expander stuck in my mouth, was taken out in feb. I have lurked these forums before and decided to finally just say hello and hopefully can help and share my experience with people or perhaps learn from others!

I have a narrow lower jaw along with a narrow upper. My molars sit exactly on top of one another when I bite down. Ideally Id like to get SARPE because its been proven to improve nasal breathing and it even helps with sleep apnea. IF they do SAPRE on my upper how will they then match my lower teeth with the newly expanded uppers??

Branwillaws

#11 Post by Branwillaws »

I did not need a blood transfusion because all of my vital signs were good during the surgery. I don't know much about your questions about sarpe. The procedure was easy for me. I was in and out the same day.