Help with eating?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shenreice

Help with eating?

#1 Post by shenreice »

So I am a week post op after double jaw advancement and chin advancement. I am having a ton of trouble eating anything. The pain meds make me nauseaus, but I haven't thrown up yet. I'm only eating (through a syringe) maybe 3oz of ensure plus a day. I know this is going to make me sick, but I cant get anything down! Does anyone have suggestions? I also think part of it is the mucus feeling in my throat I can't get rid of. I'm also not dreaming more than a few oz of water, because everytime I try I choke on it. Because I can't cough, this leaves me crying and sputtering , trying to breathe. Help would be greatly appreciated!

tylerjwilson

Re: Help with eating?

#2 Post by tylerjwilson »

Things will get better. I looked at your pictures you posted and you won the award for probably having it the roughest I've ever seen. It gets better. I had a lot of trouble swallowing from a sore throat and congestion and I can just say, it gets better. I'm 11 days post op, certainly not feeling 100%, but I've been traveling around the state of Pennsylvania visiting my family in various parts, I've been expanding what I've been eating... Had an omlett and French toast for breakfast today and enjoying some dunkin donuts iced coffee! Half my face is still numb and I have this runny nose that just will not stop. It's not bleeding, but I'm getting just clear blood drainage almost constantly, I end up stuffing my nostrils with rolled up kleenex to stop it.

Nozzelnut

#3 Post by Nozzelnut »

If you don't already have one, get a sport water bottle; the one with the long straw. Gently slide the straw along your molars so the water goes behind your molars towards the back of your tongue. Squeeze slowly (so you don't gag) so you can focus on swallowing. Staying hydrated is a big deal; if you're dehydrated everything else seems worse!

If the ensure drinks are too thick; thin the mix. Add water to your desired consistency. About day 3 or 4, I was so sick of sweet things. Add some other juices to vary the flavors.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

Branwillaws

#4 Post by Branwillaws »

I had to use my tongue to help guide the syringe.. after 3 days I said f it to the syringe and drank normal but I was always spilling on myself.. it's hard the first few weeks but it will get easier. Can't stress enough how important it is to get that protein for healing.

jaime

#5 Post by jaime »

Hi Shenreice,

I was very nauseous after surgery, too. What made a HUGE difference was taking an anti-nausea pill. You don't need a prescription for them. I can't stress enough how much they helped me.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

shenreice

#6 Post by shenreice »

Okay, will do. Thank you for the advice!