Muscle mobility timeline?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jennynnej

Muscle mobility timeline?

#1 Post by jennynnej »

Hey there! I'm 7 weeks post op for double jaw surgery to correct an underbite. I've been looking online for a vague timeline of when other people found that their ability to open their mouths went back to normal but I can't find anything! Right now I can only open to just wider than the width of my baby finger. I was wondering what other people's experience was, when did you find you could open your mouth wide?

Any replies would be so useful, thank you!

jaime

Re: Muscle mobility timeline?

#2 Post by jaime »

Personally, mine never did, and I'm now going to physiotherapy a year after surgery to help stretch the muscles.

From what I remember from my cohort of surgery buddies on here, I think it was around the 6 month mark that they were mostly back to normal.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

snapdresser

#3 Post by snapdresser »

jaime wrote:From what I remember from my cohort of surgery buddies on here, I think it was around the 6 month mark that they were mostly back to normal.
That sounds about right.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Branwillaws

#4 Post by Branwillaws »

I'm 4 weeks post op from a double jaw surgery and I'm able to open 3 fingers. Opening and closing my mouth feels pretty normal too me.

Tgirl22

#5 Post by Tgirl22 »

I'm just at 6 months post op.... I have been going to physical therapy twice a week since May.. The therapists all said I shouldn't have been in sooner but my surgeon didn't refer me anywhere, it took my Orthodontist to finally refer me.. I started at my opening of 13, I'm now at 27. Avg opening is 40-50 and I was probably closer to the 50...