Getting ready for revision surgery!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sarah96

Getting ready for revision surgery!

#1 Post by Sarah96 »

Hello!
Well, i have some other topics here about how i am dissatisfied with my results. I've been considering a second surgery to address my issues for a while now. So, now it's been settled. I'll have a revision next month.
I will talk about my experiences during and after my revision surgery on this topic. I want to help the ones who consider a second surgery as much as i can. I want to encourage the ones who are not happy with their results.

First of all, i don't want to make you scared of jaw surgery. If you are someone who is waiting for your first jaw surgery, don't be alarmed! Just be aware, whatever surgery it is, it comes with its ups and downs. Sometimes it goes smoothly, sometimes it does not. Just think about it, if it was too scary, i wouldn't go for a second one! :D

Why am i going for a second surgery?
I've had a double jaw surgery for my open bite, recessed lower jaw and over-growth, slanted upper jaw.
After surgery my bite has been corrected with ONLY orthodontics. Yes, my jaw was still set back, my orthodontist used hard elastics to bring it forward. My surgeon leaves most of the work to orthodontist. He does not wire shut his patients for this reason.
Aesthetics-wise, it looks too bad with asymmetric jaws and recessed chin and lip incompetence. Not so much changed after surgery. Also now i have a terrible TMJ pain.

That was so hard for me to convince my surgeon and orthodontist that i NEED another surgery. I want to tell you, if you believe something is wrong, whatever your surgeon tells you, be insistent. Don't be afraid. Tell your opinion.
I was too afraid to speak my mind at first. They did not accept their mistakes at first. But now they accept it because i talked about it clearly.

My revision will be only upper jaw surgery this time, which makes me worry. They'll impact upper jaw slightly and they'll fix asymmetry. But the issue is, they placed my lower jaw according to the direction of upper jaw. So, lower jaw will remain slanted. I have still a month to discuss this issue. But they were so certain about only upper jaw surgery...
Also they'll place a chin implant about 6-7 mm.

This time, i hope i can reach a better result. I'm afraid of a second surgery of course. But it's only bad for a few days. Then it's not painful or anything. My healing process was smooth and i believe it'll go smoothly this time too. I'm mostly scared of not having the results i want. But i won't do the same mistakes i did. I will insist to see the whole plan. That's my face and the final decision is mine. I won't let them say ''it looks okay'' even though when it's not.

After my revision surgery, i'll share much more on this topic. You can all ask me anything about surgery and your worries. We can support each other.
Take care.

Luciangreuceanu

Re: Getting ready for revision surgery!

#2 Post by Luciangreuceanu »

Good luck and looking forward for updates!

jawa

#3 Post by jawa »

I too believe I need a revision surgery. Are you seeking a different surgeon or are you using the surgeon who performed the initial surgery?

Sarah96

#4 Post by Sarah96 »

Hey thank you!

I'm using the same surgeon who performed the initial surgery. I don't know if it's clever but my orthodontist only works with that surgeon, and i can't change my orthodontist. Why do you think you need revision?

jawa

#5 Post by jawa »

Constricted feeling. I can't stand up straight and maintain a comfortably open airway. Its a torturous compromise between airway and posture/neck strain.

I had bimax done for sleep apnea. My sleep has drastically improved, but the daytime constricted feeling is unacceptable.

zaynab34

#6 Post by zaynab34 »

hello, sarah96
I also considering a revision surgery, I really hate my result, I just want my old face back. it has caused so much problems for me. I also get TMJ pain but its not to drastic. my surgeon has said that I look better even I went to see a second opinion and he was not much of a help. I really don't know what to do, since I live in UK I don't know a surgeon who is able to do complex jaw revision. it has been 11 months now. I just want my upper jaw to be set back to how it was before.

do you know if that is possible, considering you are having a revision, my original surgeon didn't tell me anything about how much movement he was going to make in my both jaws, we never really had a good communication. I felt that everything was so rushed in.

I just hope that everything goes well for you the second time round and keep updating I would love to know how it went and the experience

thanks

snapdresser

#7 Post by snapdresser »

jawa wrote:Constricted feeling. I can't stand up straight and maintain a comfortably open airway. Its a torturous compromise between airway and posture/neck strain.

I had bimax done for sleep apnea. My sleep has drastically improved, but the daytime constricted feeling is unacceptable.
I get the same way during the day if I don't use the correct tongue posture. For me the correct tongue posture almost seems to create a suction with the soft (uvula?) tissues at the back of my palate and pull them down. It's a good thing. -Martha Stewart
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Sarah96

#8 Post by Sarah96 »

jawa;
Actually jaw surgery opened my airway, and i see it helped you for your sleep apnea. I think there may be different problems for your daytime constricted feeling. Before considering a revision, make sure what caused this problem. Maybe you have some habits from before that causing this? Or maybe your muscles are not used to this and make this hard? Well i don't know. But i also agree with snapdresser. Tongue posture is playing an important role. Still, i don't know too much about this. :(

zaynab;
Really sad for your results. What kind of problems do you have right now? It's surprising to hear that you look ''worse'' compared to before surgery. They can perform a surgery and make the exact opposite movements what they've done in the initial surgery. That's possible, but i don't think you'll look completely same. In my opinion, instead of wanting your old face back, think about what is wrong and make your surgeon correct that. Maybe he brought your upper jaw too forward, or maybe he should've made something else but did not do it. Think about possibilites.
I really understand you in that communication part. Some surgeons do not care about your expectations, they do whatever they want. Please be confident and talk to him again. This time, learn the exact movements they've made on you. Don't hold yourself back. He'll say you look good, of course. But what matters is your opinion. Talk with determination. Be clear.
Also if you don't mind, i'd like to see your before/after pics, you can p.m to me. (if you want to)

I hope it can go well for both of us.

Lostfaith

#9 Post by Lostfaith »

How did the revision go ? Is everything ok now ?

Sarah96

#10 Post by Sarah96 »

Thanks for asking, i haven't get my second surgery done yet. Actually, they postpone the surgery everytime. I guess they want a more safe and easy route to follow, while i want all of my problems to be fixed. They just want to camouflage the problems.
I believe that i need my whole double jaw surgery to be redone. But they just want to put an implant and fix the remaining asymmetry. Apparently i have a serious relapse too. So i can't let the things stay like that. I'll see my surgeon again in 2 weeks.

zaynab34

#11 Post by zaynab34 »

hello, sarah96
my overall look has become worse, I never rreally thought that I would look like this, the problem that I have is the when I smile it feel so uncomfortable, that I feel like my top jaw has been brought forward too much, that my lower laps it, which is so annoying, I don't like my it when I smile or show my teeth, I look like a chimp face. my side profile has gone so worse looking, I had a long looking face, but now I feel that my face has goen small and round. near lip ares it looks like it swollen, because it looks puffy. I don't understand how your lower jaw and chin can looks so different, In terms of loking small and fat looking. I havev seen other pic before and after online, and their face shape looks the same. I have lower jaw pains, and replapses sometimes, where my lower jaws keeps going back to my underbite.

I could show you my before and after pics and before braces pics, to show you exactly what I mean, however I do not know how to pm on this,
thanks

Sarah96

#12 Post by Sarah96 »

TODAY i talked to my surgeon and he apologized for his mistakes. He admitted that he didn't consider my preferences properly. And he told me he will do revision surgery for FREE. That's a good thing. But i'm also so sad because my face will never be completely okay. He told me that there is also asymmetry on my lower jaw but it's TOO HARD to do a revision on lower jaw. Because the bone on mandible covers on wires after surgery. And it's too hard to remove these wires to make surgery, he said. I'm not convinced but i think it's true and i'm sad. My lower jaw will be distorted forever :(
tomorrow i'll talk to my ortho and i'll inform you guys here. I want to inform everyone considering revision.

I'm sorry for you zaynab. Since i don't see your pics i avoid making comments about you. I personally like chipmunk look and small round face but everyone is different. So if you're unhappy, go for a revision.

underbitewars

#13 Post by underbitewars »

Sarah, why don't you get a second opinion even if you have to pay out of pocket for it? It sounds like your doctors are giving you the runaround. FWIW, I think what they did to you is inexcusable, and nobody would expect or be pleased with being left with "milder" versions of the problems the surgery was supposed to correct.

LyraM45

#14 Post by LyraM45 »

Sarah96 wrote:TODAY i talked to my surgeon and he apologized for his mistakes. He admitted that he didn't consider my preferences properly. And he told me he will do revision surgery for FREE. That's a good thing. But i'm also so sad because my face will never be completely okay. He told me that there is also asymmetry on my lower jaw but it's TOO HARD to do a revision on lower jaw. Because the bone on mandible covers on wires after surgery. And it's too hard to remove these wires to make surgery, he said. I'm not convinced but i think it's true and i'm sad. My lower jaw will be distorted forever :(
tomorrow i'll talk to my ortho and i'll inform you guys here. I want to inform everyone considering revision.

I'm sorry for you zaynab. Since i don't see your pics i avoid making comments about you. I personally like chipmunk look and small round face but everyone is different. So if you're unhappy, go for a revision.

Ummm.. I would for sure go get a second opinion. Read my blog. My first surgery was totally SCREWED. I was twisted up and asymmetric everywhere. Both of my jaws had to be redone to get it even close to being correct class I. I have never heard of one jaw not being able to be redone for whatever reasons.

Sarah96

#15 Post by Sarah96 »

Thank you so much for your replies. I made appointments with some other surgeons. My surgeon and my ortho, they don't care about my problems. My ortho was really cold to me Last time, like i am the one to blame because of my dissatisfaction of this surgery.
LyraM45, i read your blog, it helped me alot. Our situations are similar. I hope my problems can be corrected as well.