Terrified

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

glennstanzalone

Terrified

#1 Post by glennstanzalone »

So my surgery is coming up August 5th and I'm just absolutely terrified that I'm going to have awful results or painful nerve damage. I'm so so scared. I had my tonsils out a year and a half ago and it was painful as hell but I healed beautifully. I'm assuming it will be the same this time. I am 28 and healthy, I'm just so scared of the unexpected.
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

Kittykat

Re: Terrified

#2 Post by Kittykat »

Don't be scared!
I'm 3 months BSSO and also had my upper jaw impacted / rotated.
Recovery was (in my experience) completely fine. The swelling was bad and uncomfortable, but I had no pain and within a couple of weeks I was back eating soft foods (slowly!)
A couple of months on and I'm so happy with my new bite, everything feels good and looking back the recovery period was easy- definitely easier than wisdom tooth removal, I felt like a fraud taking a month off work!

lemonweeps

#3 Post by lemonweeps »

Hey chillax, jaw surgery def sound scary but just try to enjoy the ride haha.
Sure the first few days will be rough, but in no time, it will be over!

I am 3 months post op, had a double jaw surgery. Just honestly speaking, the nerve damage in the initial stages were a blessing because you couldn't feel anything haha. Don't worry, trust your surgeon! He/her will doing everything to make sure it all goes well :)

Nozzelnut

#4 Post by Nozzelnut »

I had a similar path to my double jaw surgery; tonsils out about a year before. Tonsils hurt A LOT more than the jaw surgery; shorter duration but so much more intense pain.

Being 28 and healthy is a great start to full recovery. Go on a little excessive eating diet to add a couple pounds before surgery. Follow your surgeons advice, stay hydrated, and get calories any way you can. Not going to lie; the first week is pretty close to awful but it gets a lot better after that.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

glennstanzalone

#5 Post by glennstanzalone »

Nozzelnut wrote:I had a similar path to my double jaw surgery; tonsils out about a year before. Tonsils hurt A LOT more than the jaw surgery; shorter duration but so much more intense pain.

Being 28 and healthy is a great start to full recovery. Go on a little excessive eating diet to add a couple pounds before surgery. Follow your surgeons advice, stay hydrated, and get calories any way you can. Not going to lie; the first week is pretty close to awful but it gets a lot better after that.

OK, that's super helpful to know because tonsils were a nightmare. Like round the clock pain meds right? It was pretty intense but I survived. I've packed on a few pounds from a recent desk job so I'm looking forward to those being my reserves. I am totally unemployed at the moment and have my boyfriend taking off work for the first 5 days of my recovery to be with me. My overprotective mother is also going to be helping me. I feel good about this.
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016

glennstanzalone

#6 Post by glennstanzalone »

lemonweeps wrote:Hey chillax, jaw surgery def sound scary but just try to enjoy the ride haha.
Sure the first few days will be rough, but in no time, it will be over!

I am 3 months post op, had a double jaw surgery. Just honestly speaking, the nerve damage in the initial stages were a blessing because you couldn't feel anything haha. Don't worry, trust your surgeon! He/her will doing everything to make sure it all goes well :)
Thank you! I'm trying to get into law school right now & therefore I'm obsessed with admissions numbers. So my strategy was to look up my surgeon's CV and alma mater and I feel a lot better! I'm sure it will be a cake walk for him.

glennstanzalone

#7 Post by glennstanzalone »

Kittykat wrote:Don't be scared!
I'm 3 months BSSO and also had my upper jaw impacted / rotated.
Recovery was (in my experience) completely fine. The swelling was bad and uncomfortable, but I had no pain and within a couple of weeks I was back eating soft foods (slowly!)
A couple of months on and I'm so happy with my new bite, everything feels good and looking back the recovery period was easy- definitely easier than wisdom tooth removal, I felt like a fraud taking a month off work!
That's essentially what he will be doing. He thinks he can do it without a BSSO but he submitted a Lefort + BSSO to my insurance so it's on the table. I'm going to push for both at my next appointment because I believe it will improve my aesthetic outcome. I want a defined jawline dammit! So good to hear that the recovery was rapid. He said 80% of the swelling should be down after 3 weeks. :D

BrooklynsOwn

#8 Post by BrooklynsOwn »

glennstanzalone wrote:So my surgery is coming up August 5th and I'm just absolutely terrified that I'm going to have awful results or painful nerve damage. I'm so so scared. I had my tonsils out a year and a half ago and it was painful as hell but I healed beautifully. I'm assuming it will be the same this time. I am 28 and healthy, I'm just so scared of the unexpected.
Who is your surgeon? If you arent comfortable telling his name can you tell me if he is in NYC? Im looking for a great surgeon in NYC. Thanks!

glennstanzalone

#9 Post by glennstanzalone »

Dr Sabol in Phoenix AZ. :)