Almost 3 mi the post bimaxsurgery surgery and scared

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bimaxsurgery

Almost 3 mi the post bimaxsurgery surgery and scared

#1 Post by bimaxsurgery »

Hi I had double jaw surgery to eliminate sleep apnea on June 8th 2016. I still have a funny feeling in the chin and it's like over sensitive and kind of burning and my lower teeth and gums in the front are still really sensitive and the left upper roof of my mouth is still numb. Should I be worried about this at this point? How Long Does It Usually Take To Get Rid Of These sensations??

Nozzelnut

Re: Almost 3 mi the post bimaxsurgery surgery and scared

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

It could be tomorrow, next week, next month, or possibly never. Everyone is different depending on the trauma to the nerves during surgery. Most folks are back to normal around 6 months. Some take longer; up to a year. After that it's likely there won't be too much more healing and if it does heal; it would take years. Most say the palate will come back eventually; however the chin is the most problematic and has the greatest chance of permanent numbness.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

bimaxsurgery

#3 Post by bimaxsurgery »

Thanks so much for your reply. This has been a lonely recovery for me, not knowing anyone else who's been through the surgery. My chin seems to be over-sensitive, like a burning sensation, and feels tight. Has anyone else experienced that? I'm also working on getting my jaw to open up. It does click some when I try, and I don't want that to become a chronic problem. Does anyone have advice about that? I'm so glad I found this sight, and appreciate the support!

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

bimaxsurgery wrote: This has been a lonely recovery for me, not knowing anyone else who's been through the surgery.
That's what we're here for!

A lot of people have reported a tightness in their chin after the surgery. Maybe one of them will chime in on how that's progressed? The burning and numbness are totally normal for 3 months post-op, and they'll veryyyy slowly reside (except for possible permanent numbness. I still have almost no feeling at the front of my upper gums at 14 months post-op and I'm not alone in that). Your TMJs are very tight right now so strange pains is to be expected. Not sure about clicking tho, you may want to bring that up with your surgeon. Still, it's early on in your recovery so a lot of these weird issues will go away in time.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

bimaxsurgery

#5 Post by bimaxsurgery »

I really appreciate the information, thank you for your response!

Eranthe

#6 Post by Eranthe »

Hi there, yes I had a bi-max approx ten months ago, and I still have some numbness and definitely tightness in my lower lip my chin. Originally it was the whole of my lower face, but it gradually reduced down to this circle around my chin and lower lip. In the first few weeks it reduced quickly, but then it slowed down and has been reducing by very small, gradual increments ever since. I also had that dreadful gum sensitivity which hung around the inside of my lower lip and lower gums, but that has almost gone now at ten months. Sometimes the numbness feels like its not improving and the tightness is worse in the mornings, other days when I scratch with my fingernails I realize that areas that were once completely numb, now feel a little sensation. So yes, rapid improvement at first, then it slooooowed right down, but I don't think it has completely stopped for me just yet ... so I'm hoping to recover more sensation. I walk around constantly pulling faces, stretching my lips trying to keep the circulation flowing. I must look ridiculous ;)

bimaxsurgery

#7 Post by bimaxsurgery »

Thanks for your information! Everyone seems so upbeat about their situations that it encourages me to keep having faith.

tylerjwilson

#8 Post by tylerjwilson »

Also wanted to chime in. I had a 3 piece lefort 1 on the same day, June 8th of this year. I still have diminished sensation on the roof of my mouth, sometimes I wake up and feel like things are improving, but as the day goes by...I start to get tight in my upper lip under my nose and it just starts to feel like its swelling up to the point where I take some ibuprofen to take the edge off. After reading this, I feel like I'm not alone and it's just part of the recovery. I was hoping I'd feel somewhat back to normal after 3 months now, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I have my 3rd orthodontic adjustment appointment since the surgery tomorrow (8/29) and may mention it to the orthodontist, but I'm sure he'll just tell me that it's still healing. My upper teeth are super sensitive as well, maybe that's just a sign that things are coming along.

On the other hand, do you have any nasal issues? My nose feels like someone punched me square in the middle of it, I can breathe fine and my nasal passages appear to be open and normal, it just feels very tight and swollen.

bimaxsurgery

#9 Post by bimaxsurgery »

Thanks for chiming in! I haven't had nasal issues. It seems like everybody gets a little bit different issues. It seems like everything I've read and heard, a person should plan on roughly a year to heal. I'm not sure I would have done it if I'd known then what I know now. I wish you good luck on your journey!!