Impacted Canines

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ricardo2

Impacted Canines

#1 Post by ricardo2 »

Hi Everyone, :-1

I just wanted to ask how many of you are going through orthodontic treatment for impacted canines and had them exposed, like me? :?

I already know a few of you after checking the boards, but I'm still relatively new here and was just curious how many of us there are.

I'd really like to get to know some of you a bit better so I'm not on my own!! It's good to hear from people who are at all the different stages of treatment too.

Thanks,

Lucy xx
(UK)

fyrelight

#2 Post by fyrelight »

Hey Lucy! Of course, we have already met! Just wanted to say "good luck!" :D
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

kkettmills

#3 Post by kkettmills »

I am also going through ortho treatment for a impacted canine. It is so nice to hear other people's stories, this whole process has been really weird especially having braces at 30! So it is really nice to hear there are other people out there.

I had the exposure surgery on August 5th, (I also had my bottom 2 wisdom teeth removed at the same time) and then had the chain attached by my orthodontist on 29th. I go back in 2 weeks to have another adjustment on the braces and chain so we will see.

Mslaurielynn

Impacted canines

#4 Post by Mslaurielynn »

I'm getting the braces on tomorrow the 19th. I'm scheduled for surgery on the 30th. They will be removing the baby canines, one lower front and the impacted canines. They will strictly be removing them as they lay horizontally in the roof of my mouth. My Dr. said the odds of pulling them down is too slim to try as there are two of them, each with only a 30% chance of success. Not looking forward to it but needs to be done as they are too close to the roots of my top front teeth and may adversely affect those permanent teeth.

ricardo2

#5 Post by ricardo2 »

Hi Mslaurielynn!

Welcome to the boards!... I'm still relatively new here - my exposure was on the 2nd August and my braces were fitted on the 16th August.

Just wanted to say good luck with your braces... Let us know how you get on!

Take care

LUCY xxx

fyrelight

#6 Post by fyrelight »

Both of my canines were semi-horizontal.... in my palate, slightly leaning toward where they should go...... But, apparently, mine were in a place where it didnt damage my other teeth, so they were able to bring them down into place.

There are others here that had to have theirs removed... Joplin, etc.... check out their stories sometime on the "my braces story" board. Good luck!
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

hannerrr_xo

impacted canines

#7 Post by hannerrr_xo »

i'm a teenager but i have impacted canines. i just got braces a few weeks ago and they think this will help it. i also have the option of getting them pulled or whateverr or just letting them fall out eventually. i have to wear the braces for 15-22 months. i really hope they'll help the impactedness. :D
-hannah

ricardo2

#8 Post by ricardo2 »

Hannah - Do you mean that your baby/deciduous canines are still in place? The only reason I ask is that I had them in until the exposure of my impacted adult ones on 2nd August. If that is the case - The danger is with leaving the babies in, is that they don't last forever.... as you age they are likely to be more susceptible to decay, and cause your other teeth to start shifting/rotating coz of their smaller size.

I'm no expert but I would consider asking your ortho whether they think it's worth exposing/pulling down the impacted ones (if that's what you have), as part of your current orthodontic treatment..... otherwise, you might need braces all over again in a few years time. :roll: If you're still quite young, there is a chance they might come down on their own, but I understand that the normal age for this to happen naturally is 11-13.

Good luck & Take care

LUCY xxx

moli

#9 Post by moli »

I haven't even been to the orthodontist yet, but it's going to be happening in the next few weeks/months, and I know I have one impacted canine. What exactly is exposing a canine? I've never really known anyone who had to go through this sort of thing, and being 25 doesn't really help that.

hannerrr_xo

impacted caninessss

#10 Post by hannerrr_xo »

well...my babys are there (they dont have brackets on them though)...the grown up ones so to speak are impacted...they said for now we'll just do braces and later worry about the impacted ones...although this should help...i'm only 13
-hannah

kkettmills

#11 Post by kkettmills »

Hi to both of the new board members to answer both of your questions I am not an expert but I can share what I have learned from what I have gone through so far.

My orthodontist told me the younger you have this procedure done the better chance it has of working successfully. I had a cousin who had the same procedure done when she was only 13 or 14 so maybe Hannah the orthodontist is seeing something that leads them to believe the canines will come down on there own. Good luck!

As for the exposure Moli I had mine the beginning of August, my braces were put on my top teeth in May and then I had the oral surgery for the exposure the beginning of August. I also had my wisdom teeth pulled at the same time of the exposure and the exposure was by far the easier part of that experience. My exposure is pretty similar to Lucy's but mine also included a gold chain that they have now attached to my braces and this is what is bringing my tooth down. So far so good it has already moved and my orthodontist is pretty optimistic about the progress. Good luck with yours and keep updating.

Kirsten

BraceFace12

Impacted Canines

#12 Post by BraceFace12 »

I had two impacted canines at the beginning of my orthodontic treatment. My two baby teeth were still in place seeing as I was 12 years old. Luckily, one of my baby teeth fell out and the other tooth came down on it's own, but my left canine wasn't as easy. I had to have the same kind of surgery it seems you all are talking about. The oral surgeon attached a chain and actually the tooth came down rather quickly. I also had my wisdom teeth removed during the same surgery. I'd have to say that my having my wisdom teeth cut out is what mad it so much worse. Having your impacted canine pulled down is really not that bad. Iwas so happy I had it done. My teeth look so much better now that they are all adult teeth.

missing_tooth

#13 Post by missing_tooth »

The oral surgeon attached a chain and actually the tooth came down rather quickly.
Can I ask how old you are? I need to have my cainin brought down. Although I'm told it is possible it's also unlikely at my age.

//32 and want to believe

Way Too Old For This

Impacted Canines

#14 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I am very new here.....and probably the oldest.

I had braces put on my teeth in September at age 52 1/2. In October I had a baby tooth pulled and my left canine exposed and chained to my arch wire. My ortho told me the success rate would be about 50/50. By the first of December, Ruth (I call her Ruth my Roof Tooth) had moved about 1/8" and was sort of running into my incisor so they started tying her directly to the bi-cuspid's bracket. I go every other week to get Ruth THIS IS SPAM and we all feel like she is moving. She is a huge tooth and is moving almost horizontally through bone, so Dr. Yank and Twist think it will take about 2 years for her to make the trip to her new home.

The exposing surgery was a little tougher on this old broad than I thought it would be. I had a horrible sinus headache for 6 days and couldn't eat at all hardly for about 3 weeks. They sort of drilled a tunnel around the tooth and left it all raw and exposed. Then the little loop for the chain cut my toungue like a razor blade. That piece of torture snapped off after about 2 weeks, (thank goodness) and my ortho was just barely able to put a bracket on Ruth's side. He almost sent me back to Dr. Rip and Tear (the oral surgeon) which would not have made me happy.

All is well now except if I'm not careful I talk just like Sylvester the Cat! If Ruth moves as far as she is supposed to, all of this will be worth it. I still have to get an implant on the bottom where I never had a permanent tooth (genetic). If I get brave enough to show my wrinkled face, I'll post some pictures.

fyrelight

#15 Post by fyrelight »

Congrats on Ruth moving! Mine took a while too. Just goes to show, you guys shouldn't worry about the age thing! :)
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,