HAD CONSULT WITH ORTHO--$$$$$$$

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mel

HAD CONSULT WITH ORTHO--$$$$$$$

#1 Post by mel »

Okay, I had the consult with my ortho yesterday. His recommendation is braces for one year, then surgery & braces for another year. My lower jaw needs to be moved forward and he wants to reduce my "chin button" during surgery. I am really excited about starting the process. The thing is, I don't know if my health insurance is going to cover any of the surgery (my dental covers nothing and the braces alone are $7500). There is a clause that states no jaw surgery or tmj treatment. The patient coordinator said that usually, if insurance doesn't cover the surgery, the surgeon wants the whole cost up front! Ugh---no way we are going to be able to save that much in one year. We meet with the surgeon on the 22nd and we will find out how much the surgery is going to set us back.

Can anyone share their experience with you health insurance not covering and having to pay all of it up front? And the average cost of the type of surgery he is talking about? If this is the case, I'm afraid to start this process and then not be able to afford the surgery.

geekgirl

#2 Post by geekgirl »

Well, as a Canadian, I'll be out $15000 for everything. That includes about $8000 for 3 years of braces, $6000 for lower jaw surgery, and another $1000 for a couple crowns.

I did not ask my surgeon about how he gets paid, either (upfront, or...). Insurance covers nothing of mine, at all. (well, technically not true, but it's kinda complicated as a Canadian). But $15000 is what i'll have to pay. The ortho cost will be spread out over 2 years. The surgeon's... well, that's in 2 years, so i'll worry about that closer to the date.

Believe me... I totally understand your concerns; I have the exact same ones. I've currently put everything on hold till the new year for now, thanks to some new job insecurity, but hopefully I'll be able to take the plunge soon.
Waiting for life to settle down a bit before committing to 3 years of braces, lower jaw surgery, crowns and some whitening.

mel

#3 Post by mel »

Thank you for responding!
Hope you are able to start the process soon! Have you visited the support group on Yahoo? Many people say the surgery alone can run as high as $15,000---that seems a little high to me. What do you think? I'm sure I will get most of my questions answered on the 22nd when we talk to the surgeon.

Please keep me posted on your progress -!

Spooky

#4 Post by Spooky »

mel wrote:Many people say the surgery alone can run as high as $15,000---that seems a little high to me. What do you think?
This is about right. A few years ago, I got quoted $20,000 for a lower jaw surgery by a private surgeon. This amount supposedly includes surgeon fees, hospital stay, nurses, medical team, etc. THANK GOODNESS that my health insurance covers this procedure!

I need to wear braces for 1 year and then have surgery and then another 9-12 month of braces too.
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006

Spooky

#5 Post by Spooky »

mel wrote: Many people say the surgery alone can run as high as $15,000---that seems a little high to me. What do you think?
This is about right. A few years ago, I got quoted $20,000 for a lower jaw surgery by a private surgeon. This amount supposedly includes surgeon fees, hospital stay, nurses, medical team, etc. THANK GOODNESS that my health insurance covers this procedure! :D

I need to wear braces for 1 year and then have surgery and then another 9-12 month of braces too.
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006