to have surgery or not??

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

noman

to have surgery or not??

#1 Post by noman »

hi,

this is my first post here.....tell u something abt me....
i am from pakistan....20 yrs and student..
i started having consultation with doc around 8 months ago but after impression i had few things to manage......
..first an impacted wisdom tooth ,then a root canal popped up and then a filling loosened.....
the doc put molar bands in my mouth and also a TPA for upper molars' rotation...don't got the braces on yet..
now after all that stuff the doc tells me that i might need a jaw surgery..

i have overbrite and upper canines protrude out and lots of crowding both upper and lower...i have underdeveloped lower jaw...

the doc asked me decide abt have jaw advancement surgery...but he also told me that it was not necessary for dental work but for my facial profile.....

so wht would u ppl suggest??? should i have it done or not??? :roll:

p.s...total ortho treatment won't cost me more than 800$ including clarity ceramics ...bcoz i am having it done from Govt hospital :wink:

nvcarissa

#2 Post by nvcarissa »

I will be having jaw advancement surgery sometime next year. Mine will not only improve my profile, but correct my bite. I don't understand why your orthodontist would say that the surgery would be merely cosmetic. Why bother straightening your teeth if you are not going to do anything about your bite?

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

cassad

#3 Post by cassad »

Hi Norman,

U should do the surgery. i had an upper advancment and checkbone surgery last week. the first few days are really tough but get through that and the results are amazing well after the swelling goes down. get it done mate u will be so happy with the after you.

thanks
cassad