HAD SURGICAL CONSULT & READY FOR BRACES!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mel

HAD SURGICAL CONSULT & READY FOR BRACES!

#1 Post by mel »

Hi, everyone - when I had my ortho consult, i posted a message asking questions about cost of surgery. Well, now i KNOW because I met with the surgeon yesterday. For the surgery, which will be lower jaw only, chin reduction and lipo, the cost will be $13,500. I think my husband was more shocked than I am! :o No insurance coverage so we have a year to figure out how to finance it. Next month I will start the "braces" stage and am really anxious to get started. It will be so great to have jaws and teeth that work together properly (and to have a nice profile). :D

I know I will have lots of questions during the next 2 years and look forward to talking to all of you folks who are in the same situation.

M :D

Teigyr

#2 Post by Teigyr »

Mel,

Good for you! It's nice to make the decision and go with it.

Did your surgeon quote you different prices for insurance and "cash"? You might want to check. Mine quoted $12,000-something WITH insurance and $6,000 without. My insurance will cover it but I still have to pay around $3,000 of various expenses.

Maybe you can open some kind of heath care account if you know for sure approximately when the surgery will be.

That's great, too, that your husband is being supportive! That makes all the difference, I think.

Jane

lioninthelake

#3 Post by lioninthelake »

Congrats to you - you're on your way!!! :jump:
In braces since May 2004

latichas

#4 Post by latichas »

I am also a fellow Arkansasan. I will also be wearing braces for about 24-30 months with lower jaw advancement and chin advancement somewhere in the middle. My oral surgeon quoted be 10,000 for the surgery and about 2000 to the hospital to cover the facility stay and the anesthesia.
Laticha

ceramic upppers, metal lowers 1-23-06
next adjustment March 21,2006

missing_tooth

#5 Post by missing_tooth »

What kind of surgerys are you guys talking about. It's something like 2k for an extraction and bone grafting. Another 2k for an implant.

latichas

#6 Post by latichas »

I was referring to lower mandibular advancement and a chin advancement to bring my jaws into alignment.

mel

#7 Post by mel »

Hi, Lioninthelake-Nice to hear from another Arkansas who is starting the same journey! :) I got my braces Monday, Jan 9th and still adjusting to the feel of the "grill", but feeling much better about it. Surgery expected next January. Do you have your braces now? :?:

mel

#8 Post by mel »

oops, Lionlinthelake, thanks for the reply but I realize now, you are not from Arkansas!!

mel

#9 Post by mel »

Latichas, good to hear from another Arkansan!
Surgery in a year --do you have your braces yet?

latichas

#10 Post by latichas »

Latichas, good to hear from another Arkansan!
Surgery in a year --do you have your braces yet?
no, I just got spacers today and will be braced on 1-23-06. I should get my surgery in a year in a half or so.

mel

#11 Post by mel »

latichas, good luck tomorow getting braced! 8) I have had mine for nearly 2 weeks now and finally getting used to them. :D Eating is still a challenge but I'm not thinking about them all of the time anymore.

Good luck on your journey to a new you---it sounds like we are pretty much on the same time table.
8)
Mel

orangecountymetal

And the Journey Begins!!!

#12 Post by orangecountymetal »

Hello everyone,

My Name is David and I have always experienced a weak chin profile as well as my left TMJ joint locking and clicking. I finally visited a Maxo surgeon about why this was happening. Long story short, on 01/17/2006 my ortho put on the metal braces (top and bottom). I'm scheduled to have orthognathic surgery for lower jaw advancement sometime in late summer. This is my 2nd time around, I'm currently 33 and had braces at 13. According to my Maxo Surgeon, wearing headgear back at age 13 brought down my top teeth and pushed against my bottom teeth/jaw causing the tmj problem :(

It's been 5 days now and it's gonna be a long 1.5 - 2 years. I just came across this site and it's great for venting and knowing that there are others out there in my situation!!!!

David

orangecountymetal

#13 Post by orangecountymetal »

Good questions. As far as I know he's just moving the bottom jaw forward. I'm seeing him in late February and plan on getting the true medical description for what will happen. I think he told me at one time, but I was in such shock about the posibility of having to wear braces again for 2 years - I barely remember the consult!

This site is very informative - I just realized (after all this time) that when I close my lips, my teeth do not automatically touch. There is some space in between my jaws and I have to physically close my jaws the rest of the way. Every time I close my mouth, I'm using muscles that I shouldn't be using - I'm sure this is part of the TMJ problem....

Thanks welcoming me aboard!

Isn't genioplasty where they move your chin forward vs. your whole jaw? I did mention to the Maxo that I wanted my profile to be perfect and he assured me that I would have "facial harmony".... :)

David