Extraction Surgery next Friday -- Nitrous Gas ques

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

seeminglyshy

Extraction Surgery next Friday -- Nitrous Gas ques

#1 Post by seeminglyshy »

Hi fellow bracers :lol:

I have a full mouth of braces and I'm loving it!

Problem: 4 wisdom teeth which arent allowing the top go in as they should; they were also causing extreme pain a few months back.

Finally decided to take the plunge and get the extraction.

4 at the same time --- gasp! But I know its for the best. :oops:

Question: I've decided to go the Nitrous Gas route but I'm not aware of the pain associated with this. I've gone through older posts and it seems that many of you have gone the NG+IV route. Has anyone done the NG ONLY thing?

What should I expect?

Should I consider the IV route instead. Monetarily its a major difference - $944 versus $622 :roll:

I'd love and appreciate your imput.

--Shy one??

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Hello seeminglyshy :D I'm sorry that I can't be of much help, as I had IV+Nitrous. I can tell you, however, that I am now in love with IV's, because then I was able to be asleep :). I have heard that with NG, it's pretty much the same thing (you don't remember anything), only you're not asleep.
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Stacey_Braces

Question about surgery

#3 Post by Stacey_Braces »

Hey!
I just had surgery on the 10th of Feb. I had 3 wisdom teeth pulled (They were UNDER the gum), two baby teeth removed & canine teeth exposed.

If I were you, I would go the IV route. You don't remember anything and you won't be aware of what's going on. It's much less "Stressful" in my opinion.

Make sure you have someone to help care for you afterward :-(
It is difficult and painful (i'm still going through it) but it will be worth it in the end.

Stacey
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ceramic Uppers put on : Dec 20th 2005
Impacted Canine Exposure / Baby teeth extraction / Extraction of 3 wisdom teeth Surgery: Feb 10 2006

Susan Nicole

#4 Post by Susan Nicole »

Hi seeminglyshy,
I just had 7 extractions done last month (4 bicuspids and 3 wisdom teeth - 2 separate procedures). For my bicuspids I was under the gas and for my wisdom I was under gas and IV, but I don't feel that the IV made a difference for me because I was still aware of what the surgeon was doing and I can remember it all. There wasn't any pain at all during the procedures except for one of my bicuspids and when I did feel something it was minimal and the surgeon gave me more local.

So, to answer your question, I would say go with the gas. You'll be uncomfortable afterwards as with any surgery, but you'll have painkillers to ease that....and if you're nervous about just having the procedure done with gas, ask your surgeon to prescribe Valium or some other anti anxiety medication. I had them the night before my procedures and an hour before them as well and they really helped (I'm a big baby when it comes to medical procedures!).

Whatever you decide, good luck!
sn