Contemplating Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brianrex

Contemplating Surgery

#1 Post by brianrex »

I've had a few consultations in the last two months and the oral surgeons and orthodontists agree that I need surgery to correct a malocclusion that from time to time affects my speech (difficult to pronounce "s"s), causes facial tension when my jaw muscles tire (I do lots of public speaking), and (minimally) affects the symmetry of my face. Orthodontics, alone, they all agree, will not solve the problem.

Here are my questions for those of you who have gone through with surgery:

1. How bad is the numbness associated with the nerve that runs through the jaw where the jawbone is cut?

2. I'm a workout fanatic and don't really look forward to 6 weeks or more of inacitivity and the loss 40 or more lbs of hard-earned muscle. Anyone have any encouraging stories about how they were able to maintain a reasonable amount of body mass with liquid protein meal replacements?

Any other success (or failure) stories would also be appreciated as I am really on the fence regarding this major decision. Thanks in advance!

Brian

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

BrianRex,
Sorta depends on what type of surgery you need? Would it be lower, upper, both? Many surgeries now do not require such extreme movement restrictions. I will be having lower jaw surgery in May 2007. I will not be wired shut, or splinted, on lightly banded. My OS said I will be able to eat soft foods as soon as I wake up. It is pretty easy to get enough calories in with soft foods....rice, potatoes, gravy, seafood, there are a ton of things that you can eat. I just had a SARPE last week. I have read about people losing 10lbs in just couple of days. I have maybe lost 2, if that and have really been eating pretty well.

You would need to know how your surgery was to be performed etc. Also, from what I have read, the residual numbness only happens in 25% of patients, and it is usually not complete numbness but patchy areas. For most though feeling returns within a year, it is very uncommon to have complete numbness. I know there are several people on here who have recently had their surgeries done so I'm sure they could tell you more about that portion of the surgery.

Brandy

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#3 Post by nahky »

Welcome to the board Brianrex.

Im having upper and lower and genio surgery done in 2 months time. I have been working out for the last 6 months to bulk up. I didnt want to come out of surgery, only to feel deflated and skinny about my body once i've healed. So thats why im starting to bulk up. I too was concerned about the prospect of losing the mass i've gained. to lose 40 lbs sounds quite excessive. I've read from most people's have been about the 10-15 lbs.

Personally, i know there is not much that can be done with myself to maintain the mass, I'd prefer not to strain myself and would rather recover as quick as possible and then get back into the gym. Anything which requires you to clench your teeth to do the exercise would be considered a no-no (thats most weight exercises right?). you want those jaw bones to fuse and heal as quicker as possible without complications. I agree with drinking and supplementing myself with the protein shakes.

Muscle can easily be gained back, it has a memory and the growth you will experience will be more than usual when you get back into. Im certainly hoping this is the case. I've been doing some reading up on Menshealth.com.

I reckon if you do decide to go ahead with the surgery, just take it easy afterwards, the benifits of getting the surgery will far outweigh the prospect of getting back your muscles. You will have a lifetime to regain muscle once the surgery is over.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

brianrex

#4 Post by brianrex »

nahky wrote:Welcome to the board Brianrex.

Im having upper and lower and genio surgery done in 2 months time. I have been working out for the last 6 months to bulk up. I didnt want to come out of surgery, only to feel deflated and skinny about my body once i've healed. So thats why im starting to bulk up. I too was concerned about the prospect of losing the mass i've gained. to lose 40 lbs sounds quite excessive. I've read from most people's have been about the 10-15 lbs.

Personally, i know there is not much that can be done with myself to maintain the mass, I'd prefer not to strain myself and would rather recover as quick as possible and then get back into the gym. Anything which requires you to clench your teeth to do the exercise would be considered a no-no (thats most weight exercises right?). you want those jaw bones to fuse and heal as quicker as possible without complications. I agree with drinking and supplementing myself with the protein shakes.

Muscle can easily be gained back, it has a memory and the growth you will experience will be more than usual when you get back into. Im certainly hoping this is the case. I've been doing some reading up on Menshealth.com.

I reckon if you do decide to go ahead with the surgery, just take it easy afterwards, the benifits of getting the surgery will far outweigh the prospect of getting back your muscles. You will have a lifetime to regain muscle once the surgery is over.
Thanks, Nahky. I don't put on muscle as easily as I did when I was younger (turning 43), but these are encouraging words, nonetheless. Best of luck to you on your surgery, and I hope a speedy recovery gets you back into the gym sooner rather than later. Did your surgeon give you an indication of how long you'd have to refrain from working out? I look forward to hearing about how it all goes for you.

brianrex

#5 Post by brianrex »

Brandyleigh35 wrote:BrianRex,
Sorta depends on what type of surgery you need? Would it be lower, upper, both? Many surgeries now do not require such extreme movement restrictions. I will be having lower jaw surgery in May 2007. I will not be wired shut, or splinted, on lightly banded. My OS said I will be able to eat soft foods as soon as I wake up. It is pretty easy to get enough calories in with soft foods....rice, potatoes, gravy, seafood, there are a ton of things that you can eat. I just had a SARPE last week. I have read about people losing 10lbs in just couple of days. I have maybe lost 2, if that and have really been eating pretty well.

You would need to know how your surgery was to be performed etc. Also, from what I have read, the residual numbness only happens in 25% of patients, and it is usually not complete numbness but patchy areas. For most though feeling returns within a year, it is very uncommon to have complete numbness. I know there are several people on here who have recently had their surgeries done so I'm sure they could tell you more about that portion of the surgery.

Brandy
Good questions, Brandy. One of the orthodontists who did measurements thought I might have to have both jaws done. The first oral surgeon I saw for a consultation took measurements and xrays but didn't specify whether the surgery would involve one or both jaws. He just said I would lose weight and that I wouldn't be able to work out for about 6 weeks. I'll obviously have to get all of these details ironed out before I decide whether to go through with it and which surgeon to use. In any event, it's encouraging to hear that the worst-case scenario that I've envisioned for the surgery and recovery isn't necessarily the most likely.

Kimberley

#6 Post by Kimberley »

Hi there,

I just had my surgery done about 8 weeks ago, upper and lower jaw. I did lose about 13 lbs total, but I'm overweight - so I could stand to lose it. I di havea body fat monitor and I did lose mostly body fat and not muscle. I could have gone back to the gym 6 weeks post op but I just started back this week.

As for numbness, I am starting to get back feeling my chin and bottom lip now. My lip does have full feeling sometimes and my chin has more feeling at some points than others. I'm pretty confident that it won't be long before I have full feeling back.

Hope that helps,
Kimberley

brianrex

#7 Post by brianrex »

Kimberley wrote:Hi there,

I just had my surgery done about 8 weeks ago, upper and lower jaw. I did lose about 13 lbs total, but I'm overweight - so I could stand to lose it. I di havea body fat monitor and I did lose mostly body fat and not muscle. I could have gone back to the gym 6 weeks post op but I just started back this week.

As for numbness, I am starting to get back feeling my chin and bottom lip now. My lip does have full feeling sometimes and my chin has more feeling at some points than others. I'm pretty confident that it won't be long before I have full feeling back.

Hope that helps,
Kimberley
Thanks, Kimberly. That's very encouraging. Good luck on your recovery.