Underbite and Speech Impediment?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brianrex

Underbite and Speech Impediment?

#1 Post by brianrex »

I'm contemplating surgery because -- in addition to cosmetic concerns -- my modest underbite causes a slight speech impediment. I have to struggle to enunciate sometimes, to properly say my "s's" etc. I tend to contort my face to do so, which tires out the facial muscles, jaw joint, etc. Anyone else who has/had an underbite experience this? And did jaw surgery correct it for those of you who had an underbite? Thanks in advance.

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#2 Post by nahky »

Although i havent had the surgery yet (for my underbite), i have read others' experiences with the improvement of speech after the surgery. One of our members, Cassad (you can do a search on him) had surgery in december and hes looking and sounding great since. He had a significant underbite which means a great improvement in every department all round.

With enough practice, you could learn to enunciate the words you are having difficulty with easily.

My underbite is quite mild so no speech impediment.

I reckon its just another good reason for you to go ahead with this surgery. Its time to let your facial muscles relax, let you relax. I know what you mean about contorting your face though. I do it in the hope of the appearance of normalcy amongst people. It gets tiresome at the end , day after day. Will be good when i can just relax my face and feel normal without straining my facial muscles.

Hope I helped
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

Scott19

#3 Post by Scott19 »

ah yes..talking is the worst with an underbite..though i have not had the surgery yet..ive had braces on for 6 months and will be having surgery on my upper jaw(possibly the lower?) but yea..i get so tired of talking after about 3-5 mines..it's just so exhausting lol..

but just some advice..it will be even worse because they make the teeth even more out of place. But theres no way i wanted to live with that underbite for the rest of my life :) whenever i try to say an "s"a bunch of air blows out of the underbite gap between my upper and lower teeth. hope that helped!

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#4 Post by nahky »

Scott19 wrote: but just some advice..it will be even worse because they make the teeth even more out of place. But theres no way i wanted to live with that underbite for the rest of my life :) whenever i try to say an "s"a bunch of air blows out of the underbite gap between my upper and lower teeth. hope that helped!
Yeah the braces does make the underbite more apparent. It shows how much of a true gap there really is when the teeth are all straight. My top row of teeth slanted and flared out forwards to compensate for the overgrowth of the bottom jaw. it basically tried catching up. Thats what the docs told me. Now that both rows of teeth are straight, its more easier to tell i have an underbite, but its not all that bad though, I belive my appearance has improved great because of it. The profile has slightly improved as well. But i definately cant bite into things which requires a proper bite now.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

brianrex

#5 Post by brianrex »

Thanks, guys. This is all very helpful. I'm doing my pro/con calculation and leaning heavily toward the surgery. The speaking thing is particularly tiresome for me today!