MARCH 2011 BUDDIES

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

juneyer

Re: MARCH 2011 BUDDIES

#106 Post by juneyer »

Jonathan- Good to hear you are doing much better.

I am 8 day post op and am feeling pretty good I must say. Still a little swollen, but I'm sure it will go down. Still can't feel my lower lip or chin, however there is a place on my lower right lip that I can feel. The only big problem I'm having is sleeping. During the day I take only Advil and Tylenol, but at night I have to take half of one of the ultra pain pills to fall asleep. I am also banded shut (tight!) 8 hours a day now, and the numbness seems to spread to the corners of my mouth when I'm wearing the bands. I still have not made an attempt to eat solid food like "thisisme". I have been told I could eat mashed potatoes, but I'm still sticking with soup and protein shakes. I am going to have my punch card completely filled out at Smoothie King soon for a free smoothie. I can't drink the ensures anymore, they tasted so good the 2 day out of the hospital, but now they are disgusting.

I have to say on day 2-4 I thought that it was going worse than I had anticipated. Now that I'm on day 8 I don't think it's been that bad. But I guess a lot of things seem like a big deal while your going through it and than don't seem so bad afterwards.

juneyer

#107 Post by juneyer »

I am also really interested in all of you guys that had the March BSSO when you get the feeling back in your lip and chin. Right now I have practically no feeling except a small space on my lower right lip and it's day 8 for me. I'll keep everyone updated if you guys can do the same over the next couple of weeks. I am older (35) and have been told that it may take me longer because of my age.

kelhuntley

#108 Post by kelhuntley »

Hi Juneyer,

I'm post op day 12 now and have only just this morning noticed SOME feeling back in my lower lip/chin - but only a small amount.

My chin last night felt like I had dragged it along concrete - not pleasant - and my lips feel dry and parched - yet everything looks fine in the mirror, I'm assuming that is just from the nerves coming back to life.

I had to take out one of my very back rubber bands last night - my cheek is swollen and one part is really lumpy and the lump was actually getting caught in the rubber band and just not healing so I thought I'd give it a rest for a bit. My tongue also has an enormous ulcer on the side of it from rubbing on the back of my brackets and man does it hurt. Has put me off talking the last couple of days. I've been salt water rinsing like mad to try to get rid of it!

Otherwise, feeling pretty good. Survived a week back at work and my swelling seems to have gone a bit more overnight! Still on mush, I managed to eat the middles out of some tortelleni pasta the other night, but that's about as daring as I've got. Am craving Indian, so might try to torture some butter chicken this weekend (just the sauce and maybe a little bit of rice if I can handle it!!)
Goal:
To have the "perfect" smile before my 30th birthday - 29th November 2011

Braces:
Upper and Lower - 29th July 2009

Surgery:
Bilateral Sagittal Split Advancement Osteotomies of the Mandible (Lower Jaw +12mm) & Genioplasty (Chin -2mm) - 21st March 2011

I love my teeth

#109 Post by I love my teeth »

Juneyer-

I am turning 40 this month and I had BSSO Jan 17th--I have some feeling back in my lower lip and chin, but not much--less than 50% I'd figure. for the first 6weeks or so, I had lots of nerve pain, and burning.....in the last 2 weeks that's been a little less, and maybe the feeling is a bit better, but still no where near normal. Have been doing acupuncture since week 3 to try and speed things up a bit.....who knows if it's working or not??

I only have decreased sensation on the left side, right side is fine! Left still has plenty of swelling inside my mouth as well....will keep you updated if the feeling gets better!

Christine
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

dtdtdt

#110 Post by dtdtdt »

I am on day 17 of BSSO and so thrilled to hear that the rest of you have come over to our side and are making good progress. It sounds like you have made it through that ugly first 3-4 day period. It does get better every few days. Trust me I had days I was not so sure! For you double jaw patients, I tip my hat to you as your path to this place seems much worse than single jaw recovery.

Juneyer-
I am still completely numb and tingling from lower lip and chin. No progress for this 38 year old. It varies from feeling heavy and rubberish to mild tingling, to feeling asleep to an occasional shot of pain across the area. Dr told me to expect weird sensations before it gets better. I am a little frustrated!!

I hope you get that free smoothie soon!!!

I would love to hear from someone a few months out about the phases one goes through with numbness. Maybe I need to start a new thread.

Best to you all.

kelhuntley

#111 Post by kelhuntley »

Here's a before (day of surgery) and after (today - 12 days post-op) side-on shot.

Managed to eat a baked potato today covered in home-made guacamole and tinned tomatoes - SO GOOD!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Goal:

Braces:

Surgery:
Bilateral Sagittal Split Advancement Osteotomies of the Mandible (Lower Jaw +12mm) & Genioplasty (Chin -2mm) - 21st March 2011

juneyer

#112 Post by juneyer »

Christine, dtdtdt, I guess were in the same boat age wise so we shall see what happens. I'm hoping that even if the numbness prolongs that it will be entirely different without the added swelling.

Dtdtdt that is exactly what happens to me, the numbness in my lip/chin are not consistent. During the day I have more "tingly/weird pain" numbness and than at night I have "swollen circulation cut off" type of numbness that starts when I lay down usually. The second type of numbness is what is making sleep difficult and is the worst.

Kel- I remember you saying in a previous post about your braces rubbing on your bottom lip. Well, last night while doing a cleaning I noticed that where my stitches are on the inside of my lip (genioplasty probably) was looking infected, and then I saw that my braces have been tearing into my bottom lip without me feeling a thing, causing disgusting tears (I actually think parts of the inside of my bottom lip tore off and were in between my braces) Anyway, its obviously infected, I went over to my Moms house last night (she's a doctor) and she confirmed it was infected and since I'm just about done with my Antibiotics, she's putting me on another cycle of amoxicillin. This is the first time since I've had braces (year and a half) that I've actually had to use the wax they gave me. I'm hoping this heals quick. I don't see my os for a couple of days.

PS this morning I woke up with a sore throat, my mom says it is related to the infection and to gargle salt water.

Nathaniel

#113 Post by Nathaniel »

freakyteeth wrote:Hey friends! Day 4 here post rhino, 3 piece lefort, bsso. I had to go and get more elastics to hold my splint in because it was slopping around. I'm hanging in there. My nose is still running like a sieve, but much less bloody. Need to "eat" more, only getting in around 4-600 calories per day. Just not hungry.

My mom is here taking care of me and keeping me company, but I am talking waayyy tooo much.

Thinking of all you friends!

dentaltransformation.blogspot.com
Glad to see you addressed the splint :)! All the best on your continued recovery :)
Braces to come on: May 4th, 2011
My Blog: http://thejawjourney.blogspot.com/

kelhuntley

#114 Post by kelhuntley »

Oh Juneyer that sounds horrible :( I hope your infection clears quickly. I wonder if this is a common occurrence, you'd think they'd warn you so that you can preempt it by covering with wax.

Does anyone know where the stitches actually are in the lower jaw, I haven't really opened up enough to have a proper look yet.

I managed to eat some rice last night and finally felt satisfied. We went to our local curry shop and convinced them to make me a butter chicken but with soft potatoes rather than chicken. It was AMAZING. I'm going to try some spinach and ricotta lasagne tonight - fingers crossed that goes down okay!! (anyone else notice my posts seem to mainly be about food?? Food obsessed much!)

Hanging out to see my surgeon on Wednesday to get a progress update and get these rubber bands changed!! Can't believe tomorrow will be two weeks since surgery!!
Goal:

Braces:

Surgery:

freakyteeth

#115 Post by freakyteeth »

Okay need to wine.
Day 6 today. Dont' feel like I've "turned the corner" yet. Woke up more swollen than ever, sinuses had turned into oranges. It was truly horrible. They just now have opened, now new thick bloody mucus draining. Why all of a sudden? I thought this was over.

I'm still miserable. Really and truly.

What day post op did you feel that you really turned the corner?
Braces 1986 & Sept 2007 (age 34)
severe class II impinging overbite
17 missing teeth (genetically)- AXIN 2 genetic mutation
Jan 2010 - genioplasty w/mandibular bone graft (from chin bone)
Jul 2010 - 4 mandibular implants. FAILED
Oct 2010 - re-placement of 3 implants, hardware removal
03/29/2011 - BSSO and 3 piece Lefort I
Sept 2012 - Upper jaw - 4 implants w/bone graft.
Jan 2016 - upper hardware removal, extensive upper bone graft

juneyer

#116 Post by juneyer »

freakyteeth wrote:Okay need to wine.
Day 6 today. Dont' feel like I've "turned the corner" yet. Woke up more swollen than ever, sinuses had turned into oranges. It was truly horrible. They just now have opened, now new thick bloody mucus draining. Why all of a sudden? I thought this was over.

I'm still miserable. Really and truly.

What day post op did you feel that you really turned the corner?

Freakyteeth-
I had lower BSSO not the upper. And I definitely felt better at day 6-7. I know that you had the upper done too, so maybe that takes a little longer. I know for me, I still have good and bad hours during the day (mostly just general discomfort), but each day on a whole is better than the previous day. If you feel that you are getting worse not better, it may be time to get on the phone with your surgeon (or get someone to call them, cause if your like me your still having trouble talking)

dtdtdt

#117 Post by dtdtdt »

Freaky, you can always whine here! You have made it through some tough times. I know you are ready for recovery but you will get there! i am not sure the progression is a straight line, but it comes and goes. I had a day last week where I was really in the dumps...
I would call the dr. He may have some easy suggestions to improve your comfort level.
Hang in there.

I love my teeth

#118 Post by I love my teeth »

Freakyteeth-

Day 6-7 was horrible for me--Day 8 was my turning point-hang in there all will be OK!
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

kelhuntley

#119 Post by kelhuntley »

Two weeks post-op today and I have only JUST tried a mirror while eating. I just managed a bowl of rice with smoked chicken AND a cupcake without getting it all down my chin and front. Hurrah! Can't wait for this numbness to go. I'm meant to be going out for dinner with work in two and half weeks time and I'm worried that I might have to take a mirror along to the restaurant!! Eek!

Still really struggling with chewing, but I guess it will get easier in time. Can only really eat food that I can use the roof of my mouth and tongue to break up.

I'm only just starting to be able to bite together properly (gums/cheeks swelling over my teeth have been stopping me). I find that my jaw is never closed properly and my upper and lower teeth are always apart unless I consciously bite together. To be honest, I can't even remember what is normal anymore, I can't remember if pre-surgery this was the case or not. Does that even make sense? Does anyone else find this? I.e. when your mouth is closed are you subconsciously biting together, or do you have a gap between our upper/lower jaw?
Goal:

Braces:

Surgery:

Laundraholic

#120 Post by Laundraholic »

kelhuntley wrote: To be honest, I can't even remember what is normal anymore, I can't remember if pre-surgery this was the case or not. Does that even make sense? Does anyone else find this? I.e. when your mouth is closed are you subconsciously biting together, or do you have a gap between our upper/lower jaw?
I think I know what you mean. This is the first time that my teeth have ever met together in this way (prior to braces, my teeth had adjusted on their own to my underbite by the top flaring out and the bottom ones flaring back. The braces then straightened my teeth, resulting in an open bite and making the underbite looking much worse).
It's strange, not knowing what's "normal" and whether my teeth are supposed to be meeting together this way.

On another note, I cannot believe how much better I felt once I got some proper food into me. My brother came over to visit and brought sushi, not knowing I wouldn't be able to chew anything. But I was hungry... so I cut up the maki rolls into teeny tiny pieces (think cutting a pea into thirds) and with the chopsticks managed to put the food towards the back of my mouth, roll it around a bit and swallow.
The chopsticks actually make it a LOT easier to get food in there than using a baby spoon or trying to liquefy stuff and use the zip-n-squeeze.
It made a big difference, feeling like I was getting some "real" nourishment.

The zip-n-squeeze, I find, are still the most effective way for me to drink, though.