Surgery Update

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

agentzero

#16 Post by agentzero »

I just got my tight bands (felt like being wired shut) with heavy orthodontic elastics. Right in the front, they are placed in a triangle shape to restrict me from opening my mouth too far, but my OS gave me permission now to eat mush food.

My question is how do I fit food with thsoe bands in front?? and my OS did not tell that I could remove them. Also any suggestions on food would be appreciated too.

agentzero

#17 Post by agentzero »

I actually couldn't eat any soft food till 3 weeks post op because of the elastics in the front.

I just started mush food: mashed potatoes, beans,.. but i also have had the most pain that i've had these last few days.

Did anyone else experience more jaw pain once they started eating soft foods??

agentzero

#18 Post by agentzero »

well, its official. my recovery is going horrible now. Its been about 4 weeks. My jaw has been hurting since week 3. I went to my OS today just to make sure everything was ok and find out why I'm having so much trouble. Good news is that he saw nothing wrong, but the only explanation of my pain he said was that my jaw muscles were sore from not being used for so long. And he said I should go back to a blendrized diet again, which just plain sucks. It's not like I was eating a lot and it did hurt when I just ate oatmeal. I'll probably have to stick to the diet for the full 6 weeks of recovery. I guess for every quick and nice recovery story there's a slow and agonizing one like mine.

anabel

#19 Post by anabel »

Is it both sides or just one? My surgery was in July of last year and up until like December or January, can't remember, I had right sided jaw pain that I was convinced would never go away and meant something horrible. And that side was much tighter than the left. Anyway, the surgeon said it was OK and it was. I'm fine now. This is such a long, long process and there is so much going on in there with all the changes and adjustments and healing and stuff. Hang in there.
Braces on July 2005
Upper/Lower/Genio July 2006
Braces off June 2007

agentzero

#20 Post by agentzero »

thanx meryaten for ur well wishes.

anabel- the pain is more on my right side too. right around my joint near my ear. did you find any remedies for this pain?? i

've been using heat and trying to massage, but that only worked on my left side and my right side still aches. Any suggestions would be welcome??

anabel

#21 Post by anabel »

Honestly the only thing that got rid of that pain was the surgeon telling me there was nothing wrong. That and exercising it. Oh yeah, and the other thing that really helped relax those muscles was elastics. I really love elastics. I just let them do the work and my jaw can finally relax when they're in. For the last few months (I've been off them for a month or so now though) I had elastics on my back molars that were great. If I ever had a headache or felt my jaw muscles getting too tight or stressed I'd just put the elastics back in and get almost immediate relief. Just remember, like I said, it's still so early in your recovery. Be patient with yourself and your poor jaw trying to heal. Also maybe an anti-inflammatory or muscle relaxer?
Braces on July 2005
Upper/Lower/Genio July 2006
Braces off June 2007

Eeegsy

#22 Post by Eeegsy »

Or try magnesium, good muscle relaxant right there.

Delag

#23 Post by Delag »

Or try magnesium, good muscle relaxant right there.
Natural Calm works wonders - it also helps you get a good nights sleep.....(and it makes you poop like a champ)