Birth Control Pills Post Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ohmyjaw

#16 Post by ohmyjaw »

I agree - I was wired shut, and there was no way to get a pill through. I was told it was okay to crush them, which I did, but I'm not sure it worked because my period started. So something was definitely awry...

nullalux

#17 Post by nullalux »

Same problem here! I take four other pills daily as well as my contraceptive, and my surgeon just told me to ask my pharmacist about crushing them. She said I may be able to swallow them if I'm not wired shut, but I'm not counting on it.

If it ends up that I can crush them, I'll definitely try the mango nectar/syringe procedure.
--

(BSSO and genio)

gumchewer

#18 Post by gumchewer »

I take pills that are similar in size to BC (but aren't BC) and I was wired shut for 4 weeks. My surgeon assured me that I would be able to slip the pill in, but I found this to be completely absurd. I crushed the pill to a fine powder and dissolved it in lukewarm water, then took it through a syringe. As many people have mentioned before, ask your doctor if it's okay to crush your BC (and if it's heat sensitive -- it's much easier to dissolve the powder in warmish water).