What was your biggest fear before surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chuck609

#16 Post by chuck609 »

My initial concern was also about vomiting when being either wired or tightly banded. I told the anesthesiologist in both the pre-operative testing and the day of surgery about this. They told me that they would give me something during the procedure, plus post-op. I told them I was nauseous post-op (even though i wasn't), and was given additional medication. It all worked, and I had no issues.
Braced: Summer 2007
Surgery: July 22, 2009 (Upper + Genioplasty)

eveningninja

#17 Post by eveningninja »

My biggest fear right now is that I end up not looking right aesthetically.

iBorg

#18 Post by iBorg »

My biggest fear was waking up numb and never regaining feeling.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

thisisme

#19 Post by thisisme »

I haven't had surgery yet, but my biggest fear is extreme pain!! :(

PJ

#20 Post by PJ »

Thisisme: Fear not--I think you'll find that extreme pain is unlikely. The worst pain I felt was just where they had to cut in the insides of my cheeks--just the soft tissue. I don't think you'll feel any pain from the actual bone breakage--I didn't.

LydiaPreece

#21 Post by LydiaPreece »

I haven't mine yet and i've never had surgery before but my worst fear is dying i know it sound really dramatic...oohh or the other one is that i'll wake up during the op, when I was having some teeth out and i was under i woke up just before they started and in my confused state in punched the nurse in the mouth :oops: lol only because when i was coming round it looked like she had some monty python oversized needle coming at me lmao

so yeah getting back on track my fear is dying and waking up while there doing it

eveningninja

#22 Post by eveningninja »

LydiaPreece wrote: so yeah getting back on track my fear is dying and waking up while there doing it
You'll probably be okay in that department :)

2bpositive

#23 Post by 2bpositive »

That was by big fear also fear of dying during surgery. This is why it took me some time to go ahead & get the braces and do the surgery. The closer the surgery came & reading all the others on this site how they came through it that fear left me and I had other things to worry about getting ready for surgery & recovering.
Braces: Aug. 1, 2008
Surgery: July 30, 2009
Lefort I
Mandibular Osteotomy
Sliding Genio
Debraced: Feb. 23, 2010