Class 3 - Surgery before orthodontic treatment

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

revolutionary

#16 Post by revolutionary »

I know it's been a while since anyone's posted here, but this is exactly what I did. My surgeon said I didn't need any orthodontics prior to my surgery (I'd never had braces), and would likely not need them for very long after. I have naturally straight teeth that apparently formed an ideal post-surgery bite...

So I got the surgical braces put on while I was still on the operating table. I'm not 11 days post op, with my jaws/teeth banded shut, and waiting to see how this approach will work out. I was elated to hear that I wouldn't have to do the orthodontics first - I've HATED my face and jaws for so long that I just wanted to get it done with and worry about having perfect teeth (which frankly, I don't really care about since mine were never crooked to begin with).

What did you decide to do?

qwertz1

#17 Post by qwertz1 »

you said your ortho recommended it.

I know someone who had her surgery before orthodontics, and it went perfect. but her surgeon specializes in this and has written papers about this rather new technique.
I think I'd only go with this if your surgeon has experience with this, not only your orthodontist.

qwertz1

#18 Post by qwertz1 »

Jewles wrote:Are you sure the before and after isnt backwards?
The before looks far better! a defined jaw line, the chin isnt receded and the teeth are sitting straight rather than jutting forwards at an angle.
I agree that they overcorrect the profile. But I don't think this is because they did surgery before orthodontics. If you look at their other patient examples ( http://asfoa.org/pro/index4.asp ) they did an impaction of the maxilla in every single one of their cases.

"# Increased facial aesthetics
Rotation of the maxillo-mandibular complex can amplify the amount of mandibular setback and has enabled us to put the mandible in an aesthetically desired position regardless of overjet, which allows us to meet the patient’s aesthetic needs."

so this seems to be intentional. maybe different aesthetics because it's a korean doctor?

anyway, I don't think that's related to when you do the surgery, and the patient I know doesn't show any sign of a receding lower jaw after surgery.