December Buddies ................

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hduggan

Re: December Buddies ................

#16 Post by hduggan »

Standing in for my son (who's furiously working on papers and applying for jobs for after he graduates). Surgery date is Dec 16th, and he's get a Le Fort and a genioplasty for an open bite.

Good luck to everyone!

caseyref

#17 Post by caseyref »

Hey guys I came home yesterday, everything went well. I've now got to get used to sleeping upright as its not the easiest thing to do.

I have been told that my swelling is very good as i dont really have much puffing out :D Im just trying so sort out my eating now so glad im over this hurdle! :D
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

hduggan

#18 Post by hduggan »

Congratulations!

badbite

#19 Post by badbite »

caseyref, I have been trying to post for two weeks, but my stupid computer has been acting up. I hink it is fianally straightened out now. I am so glad to hear that everything went well. Is it what you expected? How is your face feeling? Tight? numb? Can you taste anything? Are you wired shut? I forget; did you have upper or lower? Can you breath through your nose? How do you feel overall?

I go in on Tuesday. I am having upper only. The surgeon is moving one side 4.5 mms and the other 8 mms and rotating my jaw also. I am not even nervous, just so happy I am finally getting it done. I have had a very long insurance battle, so It is hard to believe this is actually going to happen.

Everyone, welcome to our December buddies group.

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

caseyref

#20 Post by caseyref »

Thanks hduggan :lol:

badbite wrote:caseyref, I have been trying to post for two weeks, but my stupid computer has been acting up. I hink it is fianally straightened out now. I am so glad to hear that everything went well. Is it what you expected? How is your face feeling? Tight? numb? Can you taste anything? Are you wired shut? I forget; did you have upper or lower? Can you breath through your nose? How do you feel overall?

I go in on Tuesday. I am having upper only. The surgeon is moving one side 4.5 mms and the other 8 mms and rotating my jaw also. I am not even nervous, just so happy I am finally getting it done. I have had a very long insurance battle, so It is hard to believe this is actually going to happen.

Everyone, welcome to our December buddies group.
Hey badbite I am so amazed by my recovery even my surgeons and orthodontists are shocked by my recovery with what i have had done! I have had my top raised 3mm, moved left 1mm, forward 4mm and my bottom back 5mm...

Well on day 1 of my recovery (day after surgery) I could feel my lips, cheeks, nose (everything!) thank god! I just have some partial tingling and numbness where the swelling comes and goes. I have only had elastics on my braces so i can open as wide as i can each day...

I can breathe through one nostrel but i have been told not to blow my nose for a week to let things settle so i can smell food and things which is good but i hate feeling congested...

With taste I can taste everything and can feel hot and cold on my lips and in my mouth which is great. But really i would say with the top its the swelling that affects you as i have no pain what so ever and im not even taking any pain meds just swelling tablets im in shock that i am not in pain really!

Everyone in our little December group it is amazing surgery and you will have no regrets and love each day of getting better and better :D :D :D

BTW I just wanted to know why do you need Sutures on your cheeks and what is the dot that is put on the bridge of your nose for?
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

RyanND

#21 Post by RyanND »

I believe the dot is for alignment stuff during surgery but not fully positive. Great to hear that you have feeling right away, hopefully the same happens for me! Sounds like everything went good which is great!

badbite

#22 Post by badbite »

well it will finally be my turn. In about 15 hours I will be under the knife. I don't really feel that nervous about it, but I am anxious to get it done. I have been having nightmares for the past few days (none about teeth).

caseyref, I hope mine goes as well as yours! I will check back in when I am "on the other side."

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
RPE out on May 14, 2008

crazybeautiful

#23 Post by crazybeautiful »

badbite wrote:well it will finally be my turn. In about 15 hours I will be under the knife. I don't really feel that nervous about it, but I am anxious to get it done. I have been having nightmares for the past few days (none about teeth).

caseyref, I hope mine goes as well as yours! I will check back in when I am "on the other side."

Badbite! I nearly missed you, my SARME old buddy :D good luck! Hope all goes well for you
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

caschill

#24 Post by caschill »

Glad to hear everything went well Caseyref! Congrats on being on the other side and thank you for your positive feedback. :)

Good luck Badbite!

badbite

#25 Post by badbite »

well i made it. The surgeon said i have very strong thick bone. He used the strongest pates, and the 8mm screws which he said are the longest available. I am barely banded shut. I am supposed to take the bands off everyday and stretch my jaw and brush really good (haven't done that yet, lol). I have lots of feeling, except in my nose. I feel like i have a major sinus infection, and the inflamation and numbness a the back of my throat are almost unbearable.

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
RPE out on May 14, 2008

hduggan

#26 Post by hduggan »

My son is back in his hospital room after surgery. I actually have no idea how he looks, cause he's all jaw-bra'd up, but the surgeon said he's very happy with his results.

caschill

#27 Post by caschill »

Glad to hear everyone is doing reasonably well! Badbite, that sucks about the sore throat and inflammation! Hopefully it is just due to the surgery and will clear up in a couple of days. I have been paranoid about getting sick and have been wiping everything down to disinfect any space I am in... I guess sometimes it is unavoidable too.

How are you doing Caseyref?

hduggan

#28 Post by hduggan »

My son actually got a cold a week before the surgery. We were afraid they were going to postpone the surgery (which, for us, would have meant putting it off indefinitely because in January our insurance won't cover this procedure), but he was just sniffly by the day of the surgery and the let him through.

chicago29

#29 Post by chicago29 »

caseyref: Congrats and I'm glad to hear your recovery has been great! If the doctors are surprised you must be moving fast!

badbite: Congrats to you as well...It sounds like you're doing well, all things considered. You've been waiting a long time and I bet you're glad to be on the other side...

And congrats hduggan to your son...I remember that jaw bra contraption. The ice sure felt good but it was hard to keep that thing on! He's probably going to swell up over the next 24 hours but by Xmas it should be coming down.

Everybody hang in there and this will be behind you before you know it. I wish you all the speediest of recoveries...

Take Care
Chicago29

badbite

#30 Post by badbite »

Well I am on day four of my recovery. My nose is so stuffed up. It is driving me crazy! The doc said I could blow my nose gently, but I am scared to mess something up. My sinuses are killing me (I would assume that is normal).

I was told I could use a straw right away. I don't have much of an appetite. Just drinking broth and Slimfast for now. I think I am down about 5 pounds.

I am only lightly banded shut. I can open about 1/2 an inch even with the bands on. The surgeon wants me to exercise my jaw everyday. I can even take the bands off to eat. He said i have very thick bones. He used the strongest plates and he used 8 mm screws.

I have lots of feeling and need to keep up on my pain meds. I can feel both lips, but my palette is numb as well as my nose. I feels lots of inflamation! My nose is crooked now, I hope that fixes itself.

Hope everyone is doing well!

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
RPE out on May 14, 2008