Surgery - Idiopathic Condylar Resorption

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

RMF7825

Re: Surgery - Idiopathic Condylar Resorption

#16 Post by RMF7825 »

CVN-
Do you happen to have access to the full article you mentioned?

cvn

#17 Post by cvn »

I do. Drop me a pm with your email and I can send it to you. If you have a friend who is in a university, they should have access through their library as well.

260990ses

#18 Post by 260990ses »

I am going through this now, please can you tell me how you got on??

Vive18

#19 Post by Vive18 »

I have that contraceptive article but don't know how to upload a pdf here. I have made a group on 'condylar resorption' on facebook if anyone is interested, and will post the article on there. Just search on fb 'condylar resorption' and request to join.

Susiebee

#20 Post by Susiebee »

I am so glad that I found this site. 4 years ago I had bilateral arthroscopic surgery for TMJ. I was 48 years old at the time. Had been wearing a custom made bite plate for several years prior, thinking it would help my headaches. I was told that I had TMJ, by my dentist when I was in my 20s, but did not receive treatment, as it did not bother me. Looking back, I have to wonder if this was the cause of my headaches all along, as they began around the same time.
I have been continuing to follow up with my oral surgeon since the surgery. Recently I noticed that I was having trouble chewing and realized that my bite was way off. X-rays revealed an idiopathic condylar resorption. Avascular necrosis was ruled out since it is happening on both sides at approximately the same rate. I am a nurse so am reluctant to have a joint replacement. Mostly because I have seen complications of hips and knees. My surgeon says this is rare and does not know what caused it. I like him and trust him. He even came in on his day off to do the arthroscopic surgery, which is quite rare for a doc to do in the US.
I think that I will have the surgery. It will be a custom titanium prosthesis whuch will be made in CA and takes around 4 mo the to make. I am on the East Coast. I just hope that I can make it until then. The pain is Un earache at times and I feel as if people don't understand. You can't see it so it's not real-that sort of thing.
Anyway,thanks to all who read this and good luck to everyone.

drgnfly

#21 Post by drgnfly »

[quote="Susiebee"]I am so glad that I found this site. 4 years ago I had bilateral arthroscopic surgery for TMJ. I was 48 years old at the time. Had been wearing a custom made bite plate for several years prior, thinking it would help my headaches. I was told that I had TMJ, by my dentist when I was in my 20s, but did not receive treatment, as it did not bother me. Looking back, I have to wonder if this was the cause of my headaches all along, as they began around the same time.
I have been continuing to follow up with my oral surgeon since the surgery. Recently I noticed that I was having trouble chewing and realized that my bite was way off. X-rays revealed an idiopathic condylar resorption. Avascular necrosis was ruled out since it is happening on both sides at approximately the same rate. I am a nurse so am reluctant to have a joint replacement. Mostly because I have seen complications of hips and knees. My surgeon says this is rare and does not know what caused it. I like him and trust him. He even came in on his day off to do the arthroscopic surgery, which is quite rare for a doc to do in the US.
I think that I will have the surgery. It will be a custom titanium prosthesis whuch will be made in CA and takes around 4 mo the to make. I am on the East Coast. I just hope that I can make it until then. The pain is Un earache at times and I feel as if people don't understand. You can't see it so it's not real-that sort of thing.
Anyway,thanks to all who read this and good luck to everyone.[/quote]

Fellow nurse here who actually had both hips replaced last year (at age 36) for avascular necrosis. I was aware of everything that could go wrong as well, but ultimately had no choice in the matter. I just wanted to let you know that things do go well, too. Don't forget that! It was a tough recovery, but I feel better now than I ever thought that I would. :-) I wish you all the best in making this incredibly tough decision, and I hope that you've found a team who takes your pain seriously. Sending good thoughts of healing your way.

Vive18

#22 Post by Vive18 »

Vive18 wrote:I have that contraceptive article but don't know how to upload a pdf here. I have made a group on 'condylar resorption' on facebook if anyone is interested, and will post the article on there. Just search on fb 'condylar resorption' and request to join.
facebook.com/groups/IdiopathicCondylarResorption/

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links but that's the group url.

rkh1991

#23 Post by rkh1991 »

Carrie/Anyone else who has researched pain management for this condition,

I just began my second semester of my first year of Veterinary School. I was diagnosed this December with ICR by the same surgeon who had performed a bite realignment surgery on me back in 2008 (I was about 16/17 years old). I am now about to turn 25 and had decided to visit him in order to check about possibly redoing my surgery since my jaw had moved back close to its original position a while back and I will be kicked off my parent's insurance in a year. The surgeon had previously explained that the failure for the alignment to stick was due to the fact that I had not stopped growing yet, but with the recent diagnosis, I think he is leaning more towards the idea that breaking my jaw might have initiated the resorption, it was not caught and now years later my joint has degenerated a decent amount. Before my visit, I had facial pain that I attributed to other issues that I have (unexplained firm blinking that occurs all the time but gets worse with stress; makes my whole face hurt) also I had no significant jaw pain. Since December, the pain in my jaw has increased substantially. Whether or not it is partially psychological due to hearing my diagnosis, I have absolutely no idea, but I can't chew without pain, or yawn or move mouth side to side. When I sneeze, it feels a though I'm being punched in the jaw. I am at the point where I know I will require surgery, but I have to finish out my semester somehow if I don't want to have to drop the year. I can't be on pain killers 24/7 until then for obvious reasons. So I was wondering if anyone found an alternate option for pain management that I could suggest to my doctor until I can have the surgery done.

Thanks,

- Rhiannon

JLa

#24 Post by JLa »

Greetings fellow ICR allies. This is my first post. My 15 year old daughter was just diagnosed with ICR four days ago. I'm a bit overwhelmed and trying to understand the condition and what's in store for us.
It's been nine months since her jaw locked open, shortly after rubber bands were added to her orthodontic treatment. We suspended ortho treatment and have seen two TMJ DDS, Oral Surgeon, Physical Therapist, Chiropractor, Pediatrician, and General DDS. Finally we are working with a very expert PT who suggested the CBCT that identified the ICR.
Both condyles are affected and both discs are anteriorly displaced without reduction. The braces are still on. Scan showed wisdom teeth are impacted. PT continues to relieve/reduce pain and improve ROM. Upcoming "second opinion" appts with new Oral Surgeon and Orthodontist who have treated TMD/ICR referrals from our PT.

Looking for information / resources / websites that will help build my knowledge base of ICR. Thank you for your help.