April 2011 surgery buddies!!!!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

twinmom

Re: April 2011 surgery buddies!!!!!

#16 Post by twinmom »

10 hour countdown to surgery...up late having my "last" meal. Had a lot of good luck wishes at work today, it did help me feel better. I do think I'm in denial about what all I've got to go through. Just ready to be out of surgery and on the road to recovery!

I will post again as soon as I feel up to it.

happy teeth

#17 Post by happy teeth »

twinmom wrote:10 hour countdown to surgery...up late having my "last" meal. Had a lot of good luck wishes at work today, it did help me feel better. I do think I'm in denial about what all I've got to go through. Just ready to be out of surgery and on the road to recovery!

I will post again as soon as I feel up to it.

good luck!!! you'll be great!!
Jan 2009 4 Wisdom teeth removed
June 2009 SARPE surgery
October 2009 Braces
April 2011 Reconstruct Midface, LeFort Reconstruct Lwr Jaw W/Fixation, Reconstruction of Chin

bracedfaced

#18 Post by bracedfaced »

You are probably in surgery right now, twinmom! Sending good thoughts your way... :-)

happy teeth

#19 Post by happy teeth »

so what is everyone doing to get ready?
June 2009 SARPE surgery
October 2009 Braces
April 2011 Reconstruct Midface, LeFort Reconstruct Lwr Jaw W/Fixation, Reconstruction of Chin

twinmom

#20 Post by twinmom »

Day 2 post-surgery. Doing OK. The first 4 hours after surgery were the worst. Not the pain, just the complete discomfort. Took quite a while to get used to breathing differently and dealing with the swelling and congestion. Most times feel like I can only breathe out of one nostril.

More swelling today, which should continue through Day 4 or 5.

In the hospital I had some fabulous spit sucker, I wish I had one at home!

I have been eating through straws, it takes alot of energy but I'm doing it.

The pain and naseaua meds taste terrible! My hubby started wateing down the doses a little, and I take them in a straw. Better that way.

Doc said surgery went extremeley well. Now just have to be a trooper through the next few weeks!

Chip

#21 Post by Chip »

I'm having SARPE on top jaw on April 18th. I haven't had braces first but will need them for about 18 months after. I've been waiting about 3 years since first being told would need the operation and only got told last week it was finally scheduled now, so a bit of a sudden surprise! I've just been looking at information about it (how I found here), trying to calm my nerves :)

happy teeth

#22 Post by happy teeth »

twinmom wrote:Day 2 post-surgery. Doing OK. The first 4 hours after surgery were the worst. Not the pain, just the complete discomfort. Took quite a while to get used to breathing differently and dealing with the swelling and congestion. Most times feel like I can only breathe out of one nostril.

More swelling today, which should continue through Day 4 or 5.

In the hospital I had some fabulous spit sucker, I wish I had one at home!

I have been eating through straws, it takes alot of energy but I'm doing it.

The pain and naseaua meds taste terrible! My hubby started wateing down the doses a little, and I take them in a straw. Better that way.

Doc said surgery went extremeley well. Now just have to be a trooper through the next few weeks!

Congrats on getting through it!!!! Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are doing well. How is the pain??
June 2009 SARPE surgery
October 2009 Braces

happy teeth

#23 Post by happy teeth »

Chip wrote:I'm having SARPE on top jaw on April 18th. I haven't had braces first but will need them for about 18 months after. I've been waiting about 3 years since first being told would need the operation and only got told last week it was finally scheduled now, so a bit of a sudden surprise! I've just been looking at information about it (how I found here), trying to calm my nerves :)
Hey man. I had sarpe a couple of years ago and I completely understand your nerves. Buuuuutt i gotta tell you man there wasn't any pain at least for me. maybe i was lucky. the biggest thing is that expansion can be a little uncomfortable but really not bad at all. feel free to post any questions you might have ill try to help
June 2009 SARPE surgery
October 2009 Braces

Chip

#24 Post by Chip »

[quote="happy teeth"][quote="Chip"]I'm having SARPE on top jaw on April 18th. I haven't had braces first but will need them for about 18 months after. I've been waiting about 3 years since first being told would need the operation and only got told last week it was finally scheduled now, so a bit of a sudden surprise! I've just been looking at information about it (how I found here), trying to calm my nerves :)[/quote]

Hey man. I had sarpe a couple of years ago and I completely understand your nerves. Buuuuutt i gotta tell you man there wasn't any pain at least for me. maybe i was lucky. the biggest thing is that expansion can be a little uncomfortable but really not bad at all. feel free to post any questions you might have ill try to help[/quote]

Thanks, good to hear there wasn't any pain for you. Hopefully I'll be the same!

WaterBoy13

#25 Post by WaterBoy13 »

Hey guys!

I am 3 days post-op and am actually feeling great. My face is minorly swollen and a little tight but I am not having much of any discomfort. Haven't felt any pain throughout the entire process and even immediately after surgery.

My surgeon wants to wait until next tuesday (6 days post-op) to start the expansion process, which Im a little concerned about. Im not sure if its going to cause more or less discomfort, but we will see.

I hope everyone else is doing well that has already had surgery and is recovering, and also for those of you who are soon to have surgery, stay positive and know that it will def be worth it! :)
RPE Installed: March 10th, 2011
SARPE Surgery: April 6th, 2011
RPE Removed: TBD
Incognito Braces: TBD

http://mid20smetalmouth.blogspot.com/

twinmom

#26 Post by twinmom »

WaterBoy13 - you sound so upbeat I hope I get there soon. I am at Day 4 post-surgery. Am I counting the days right? Is surgery Day 0 or Day 1?

I had a really rough day yesterday, spent 1/2 of the day being naseous and throwing up. The night before that was very rough, I barely slept a few hours.

I did finally wake up this morning after a decent night's sleep, some swelling had gone down which lets me know I am on the way to feeling better. Post-op appointment on Tuesday.

happy teeth

#27 Post by happy teeth »

twinmom wrote:WaterBoy13 - you sound so upbeat I hope I get there soon. I am at Day 4 post-surgery. Am I counting the days right? Is surgery Day 0 or Day 1?

I had a really rough day yesterday, spent 1/2 of the day being naseous and throwing up. The night before that was very rough, I barely slept a few hours.

I did finally wake up this morning after a decent night's sleep, some swelling had gone down which lets me know I am on the way to feeling better. Post-op appointment on Tuesday.
I'm so sorry to hear about yesterday!! so the nausea meds aren't working too well?
June 2009 SARPE surgery
October 2009 Braces

twinmom

#28 Post by twinmom »

happy teeth - the meds usually worked, not sure what was wrong with me yesterday. I was so naseous I couldn't even stand the thought of swallowing medicine to keep me from being naseous!

Maybe it was coming down from the side effects of the anesthesia?

twinmom

#29 Post by twinmom »

Day 6 post-surgery update: Feeling much better today. Woke up not feeling so good, but after some calories were down and some liquid Motrin was had, felt much better. Swelling has gone down some more as well.

My nose looks extremely out of shape, swollen and stretched out.

Dr. said I'd be wired for 2 weeks, but would love more than anything for him to look at me tomorrow and say, well, it's going great let's get you out of those wires and into bands sooner!

hellogoodbye

#30 Post by hellogoodbye »

Wow, april 6 seems to be a popular surgery date! i had my SARPE done that day too! How are you guys doing?