SARPE Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cassandra2012

Re: SARPE Surgery

#1516 Post by Cassandra2012 »

philly wrote:Hey everyone. I had my sarpe a week ago and had a few questions.

1: The gum line above my front right tooth appears to have receded about 1mm. Is this normal? Will it grow back?

2: Will I have a scar on my gums from the incision or will the gums heal completely?

3: Lastly and this is the most important. About how long until I can eat a burger?:)

Thanks for the help and good luck to anyone getting the surgery. It was not that bad at all.

For me I was still swollen at 2 weeks and yes it receded and came back. The gums will heal if you leave them. I still have bumps from them but they are smoothing out. I don't know if you will have a scar because I have not checked my face in that area. First week and second week is mostlikely a no. You have a broken palatal so let it heal. Maybe a month or 2 that is how long i waited. I was scared to eat anything I had to bit down on. It all depends on the person.

philly

#1517 Post by philly »

Thanks Cass. Its good to know the gum line will return. Today was the worst day I have had. I think I was grinding my teeth at night and when i woke up the top teeth were hurting and felt very tight.

philly

#1518 Post by philly »

Worst week I have had so far. horrible pain waking me up. Most likely from me grinding my teeth. The worst part was that I had my first kidney stone and it is as bad as they say.

I do have some extreme dizziness when i lay down and get up. Anyone have that problem?

Cassandra2012

#1519 Post by Cassandra2012 »

philly wrote:Worst week I have had so far. horrible pain waking me up. Most likely from me grinding my teeth. The worst part was that I had my first kidney stone and it is as bad as they say.

I do have some extreme dizziness when i lay down and get up. Anyone have that problem?

I did not have bad pain from what I remember. I stopped taking the pain meds on the first day because of the reaction I was getting from them. I remember waking up at night but I don't remember from what though. Never grinded my teeth or got a kidney stone. Hope you feel better. You may ask why you did this but It will be better in the long run.

I had extreme dizziness also. I had it standing up and lieing down. I lasted for a while and now and then I still get it when I lie down.

philly

#1520 Post by philly »

Thanks Cass. I'm going to talk to the doc about the dizziness. I ride motorcycles and the last thing I want is to get dizzy even if it is only once in a while.

manderin

#1521 Post by manderin »

For people who get SARPE done, how is the bottom teeth widened to fit with the now wider bite on the top teeth? is a surgical expansion done on the lower jaw for this?

philly

#1522 Post by philly »

From what I understand sarpe is performed so that the upper jaw is widened to match the with of the lower jaw. If both lower and upper jaw have teeth crowding issues then sapre would be done with both jaws, but if you only have crowding on the upper jaw then it will be narrower then the bottom jaw anyway.

For me my lower jaw is perfect, but my upper teeth where not aligned properly. When i bite down half of my upper teeth would not touch my bottom teeth because they would be inside the lower jaw line. After sarpe and turning the expander my teeth meet perfectly.

philly

#1523 Post by philly »

Hey everyone,

I saw my ortho and he said in 7 weeks he was going to put the upper braces on. That would be a total of 10 and 1/2 weeks since my sarpe surgery.

I didn't ask because I thought that I would have to wear the expander for 6 months after surgery, but will he take the expander off before putting the braces on?

redwine

#1524 Post by redwine »

So, I'm 55, female, and just beginning this quest for better breathing, less TMJ, less problems chewing, and (hopefully) better cosmetics - although for the last few years I just haven't cared so much about that last bit. I'll be starting with SARPE, then braces for a good long while, and ending with having my lower jaw moved forward about a centimeter. This is gonna be interesting, to say the least. I'd love to hear from other older (like my age) people who are doing or have done the same thing.

redwine

#1525 Post by redwine »

[quote="redwine"]So, I'm 55, female, and just beginning this quest for better breathing, less TMJ, less problems chewing, and (hopefully) better cosmetics - although for the last few years I just haven't cared so much about that last bit. I'll be starting with SARPE, then braces for a good long while, and ending with having my lower jaw moved forward about a centimeter. This is gonna be interesting, to say the least. I'd love to hear from other older (like my age) people who are doing or have done the same thing.[/quote]

PS - this board has helped immensely in making the decision to have this done. Many (many!) years ago I went to an ortho who said in addition to needing braces, I would need to have all my teeth removed and put back into the proper position. Besides the fact that I didn't have a lot of money, that just sounded barbaric and prevented me from seeing an ortho again until recently. And I used to- ten years ago- have excellent insurance that would have paid 50% of braces and 80% for both surgeries!

cru199nine

Re: SARPE Today

#1526 Post by cru199nine »

[quote="biggitybones"]

If anyone is in the Northeast and is looking for a surgeon, this guy is amazing. PM me if you want the name, he's apparently one of the best in the country.

Biggitybones, would you mind posting or sending me the name of the surgeon? I am looking for one in the Northeast and ran across this message board.

Thanks in advance!

cru199nine

Re:

#1527 Post by cru199nine »

Delag (or any others who have had this done) does this mean that you had your palate/face expanded in only one direction to widen one side of your face as opposed to both?

[quote="Delag"]Now that I am two weeks post op I thought I would consolidate my experience here on the SARPE thread for the next group of SARPIES.

I had a unilateral (one side only) SARPE and 2 micro screws placed. My expander was placed a week before surgery. My ortho offered to put it in the day before, but I am very glad that I had the week to get used to it. Yes, it is a pain in the rear end, but it is not nearly as horrible as I had feared. The expander is attached to the second to last molars in the back with bands. The front bands didn't fit well so they attached the front of the expander with wire that wraps around the expander bar and goes thought the gums and is twists around the tooth.

My surgery was out patient and I was home in 3 hours - the surgery itself took one hour. They gave me some meds to take in the morning so I was relaxed when I got there. I suppose the surgery was fine....I was sleeping so I can't say that I remember much. :wink: When I woke up, I remember thinking, 'yea, I am finally done´. I was a little groggy, (like when you wake up from a nap) but I wasn't out of it - I knew where I was and why right away.

I did make a bit of SARPE history. Not only did I only have one side released, I had a complication that I had never read about before. My palate split during the surgery and I had stitches up there. That was probably the most uncomfortable part of this whole thing. The OS said the bone was unusually thick and he couldn't get separation with the saw alone so he went for the chisel. Normally he puts a finger on the palate so he can feel his way along, but with my RPE in there wasn't enough space. He had an assistant eyeball it and that is why the skin perforated. He turned 15 times to open, and then closed it back 17 times.

I was on liquid diet for the first 5 days or so. This was more because my palate was too sore with the stitches than anything my doctor said. I am to be on a no chew diet for 6 weeks. Chewing would be impossible at this point anyway because my teeth don't meet anywhere.

Anyway, the only discomfort I had was in in my tmj (the doctor doesn't know why that hurt as he did the surgery with the mouth closed), and from the split palate . I am took Advil and Tylenol in bumped up doses for the first few days, and after day 5 or so I was taking regular Advil. . I was numb from my lower eyelid to my top lip the first day. The under eye swelling was the most bothersome as it threw my vision out of focus, but that only lasted one day. Peak swelling was between day 3 and 4, after that everything got better. Two weeks out I am still puffy. I used ice for the first 48 hours and then switched to heat.

The surgeon placed an Alar stitch to keep my nostrils in place and another stitch in the lip to help prevent it from thinning out too much. The Alar stitch is still quite uncomfortable at two weeks out. It really pulls when I laugh or smile. If I am caught off guard and laugh at something, it hurts enough to bring tears to my eyes. The doctor said to try and keep the stitch in place as long as I can (IE - no laughing or smiling) so it can do it's job. I have no feeling in my gums, or in the middle of my upper lip.

One week post op I went back to the OS and started turning. I do 4 turns a day - two in the morning and two in the evening. The first turn feels like nothing, the second makes my palate sting and the bridge of my nose feel a bit of pressure. It has been easy to turn the key myself - it is attached to a nice long plastic stick and all I have to do is insert the key in the hole and push back till I see the next hole come into view. So far I have done 32 turns and I have expanded 7.9 mm (or so says the OS who measured it today). My gap is 5.2mm big. One front tooth is sitting much lower than the other - the OS says this is normal and to stop freaking out about it. The problem is that I keep hitting the stupid tooth with my spoon, glass, fork....

I have been given the OK at two weeks to use my WaterPik an sonic toothbrush. I also can start back at the gym with light weights and light cardio. I spent a long weekend out of town....shopping. Food choices are limited, but I did well with quiche, fish, soup, yogurt....etc.

Anyway, that is my SARPE experience....well, the first two weeks of it at any rate. I hope it helps someone in the future as so many people here on Archwired have helped me. My fear was in pain and being off my feet for too long. Really, the first 4 days were difficult, but after that I felt like myself again. I was also afraid of how I would look. I still don't know what the end result will be, but my DH said - you look like you, but with a big gap between your teeth, so I guess I can't be too deformed.[/quote]

cspom87

#1528 Post by cspom87 »

Hi everyone!

Been reading this topic for a while after having my surgery on 30/5. I had the SARME surgery and was wondering what the difference between SARPE and SARME was?

I recovered pretty quick from the surgery, i had 3 badly impacted wisdom teeth removed at the same time too so i thought it would take ages but i think the daily ice packs for a week and lovely homemade juices and soups really helped me! I was back in the gym not long afterwards trying to build my strength back up and experienced no bruising and down to just a little puffyness around my top lip area now. I started expanding last week and i have todo one turn every other day which, looking at peoples experiences on here is not alot! Ive started to get pain in my two front teeth which startled me as ive not felt anything in my upper teeth/gums for ages! Im guessing this is because they are moving but i get really scared that if i brush too hard they will fall out!!

I hate the expander and cannot wait to get it out, sick of the mouth sores! But cant wait for the end result :P

Thanks to everyone for the advice on this post, really helped :)

Cassandra2012

#1529 Post by Cassandra2012 »

philly wrote:Hey everyone,

I saw my ortho and he said in 7 weeks he was going to put the upper braces on. That would be a total of 10 and 1/2 weeks since my sarpe surgery.

I didn't ask because I thought that I would have to wear the expander for 6 months after surgery, but will he take the expander off before putting the braces on?

Hello Philly
Everyone is different but this is what is going on. I have the expander on and braces too. The wire that is on the braces can fit into the expander in the back. It all depends on your ortho but I think he might leave it in because most of them don't want the mouth to cave in and go blah

Cassandra2012

#1530 Post by Cassandra2012 »

cspom87 wrote:Hi everyone!

Been reading this topic for a while after having my surgery on 30/5. I had the SARME surgery and was wondering what the difference between SARPE and SARME was?

I recovered pretty quick from the surgery, i had 3 badly impacted wisdom teeth removed at the same time too so i thought it would take ages but i think the daily ice packs for a week and lovely homemade juices and soups really helped me! I was back in the gym not long afterwards trying to build my strength back up and experienced no bruising and down to just a little puffyness around my top lip area now. I started expanding last week and i have todo one turn every other day which, looking at peoples experiences on here is not alot! Ive started to get pain in my two front teeth which startled me as ive not felt anything in my upper teeth/gums for ages! Im guessing this is because they are moving but i get really scared that if i brush too hard they will fall out!!

I hate the expander and cannot wait to get it out, sick of the mouth sores! But cant wait for the end result :P

Thanks to everyone for the advice on this post, really helped :)
That is great that you are recovering quickly. I am glad I only had to wisdom teeth. Nice you got right back SPAM SPAM SPAMMING but how is the numbness? It is from the wisdom teeth if you have numbness. Expanding is blah it has a pressure that goes along with it. Paine is good it means nerves and your alive thing but keep and eye out on it. I was like that but the first week my lips stuck to my wires so I could not brush and buy the second week after I pried my lips off the wires I used a water pick to help it got the palatal expander clean and the nasty food out. But I slowly brushed my teeth but I lost no teeth. I just have no feeling after the wisdom teeth came out.

I dislike the expander too. I don't get mouth sores i just talk with a lysp and its weird. I can't wait also for the end result. Good luck.