February 2012 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

keeponsmiling

Re: February 2012 Surgery Buddies

#31 Post by keeponsmiling »

Hi all. Just read through your posts as my surgery was moved from Jan, to March, and now to 27 Feb. Catsteeth - can I just say I have 14 hooks!!! I totally agree with you, the middle bottom one is the biggest pain ever, and ten times worse than all the others put together. Does anyone know how long they stay in after surgery?

Good luck to you all. Hope all your surgeries went/go well and recoveries are smooth.

catsteeth

#32 Post by catsteeth »

Woodwillow, we're thinking of you!

Emdanut, I also just having the bottom jaw done. I think they are moving mine forward 7 mm.

keeponsmiling, I'd be going crazy if they kept moving my surgery date like that. 14 hooks? that's crazy! I've just got one bottom one that's a problem. I thought I was beyond the wax stage but it has been my best friend this week.

I have my last pre-surgery appointment this week with the OS. Hopefully, I can get some questions answered and get the rest of the things I need to prepare.
Catherine

justonejaw.blogspot.com

worldpeace

#33 Post by worldpeace »

I spent the weekend in the company of friends...watched the big game it was so much fun. I think i'm just about ready, felling a bit anxious and want to it to be over with. One more sleep because i know i probably won't be sleeping tomorrow. Good luck everybody! I wil update as soon as possible. Go february buddies!

worldpeace

#34 Post by worldpeace »

Surgical hooks so far have not been a issue for me I guess maybe because of my big overbite. I can see probably see it hurting when the elastics will come on with the new bite. I guess I am lucky my braces already had some hooks i can only count surgical 8 hooks.

Woodwillow we hope you are recovering well!

WoodWillow

#35 Post by WoodWillow »

hey all, thanks for the encouraging words...

I've actually been having a really rough recovery and didn't want to come here and be a total Debbie Downer. I am in a wild amount of pain that even the strongest narcotics don't want to touch. It is so frustrating.

I woke up with a split in place that I wasn't expecting and I have been rendered perfectly speechless. my husband put a text-to-speech app on the iPad so I can communicate a little bit easier, but IMO there is nothing easy about this.

I was so hopeful I'd be able to come on here and have stories like some others have had, saying the recovery is easy and a piece of cake. That isn't my experience though. I almost had to cut my elastics last night since I started to choke and since I can't breathe through my mouth it was just scary.

I honestly hope the rest of you have an easier go... someone has to go through all the crappy stuff, I just wish it wasn't me!

catsteeth

#36 Post by catsteeth »

Good luck worldpeace!

Woodwillow, you don't have to pretend its all good with us. We'd rather hear the reality version. I'm sorry it is going so rough for you. I hear those first few days are really rough. I hope your pain goes down and you can breathe easier. Hopefully you are at the peak now and you will start getting better.
Catherine

justonejaw.blogspot.com

catsteeth

#37 Post by catsteeth »

Woodwillow, how are you doing now? Swelling better?

Worldpeace, hope it went well. Update us when you can.

Endamut, This is our last weekend. You're in on Tues, right? Are you as nervous as me? Are you doing anything special to get ready?
Catherine

justonejaw.blogspot.com

lattiee

#38 Post by lattiee »

Mind if I join in on here ? I had my upper plate and screws in upper jaw removed on Monday in the OS office. I'm suprised at for what I thought was going to be simple like when I had screws/wires taken out from my lower jaw or even teeth extraction as those were mild compared to this.

I got them removed because they were emerging thru my gums and one screw fell out when I was eating so we removed it to prevent anymore screws coming out w/o warning.

I feel like I did when I had my orignal jaw surgery worn out,swelling ,bruised but not as sore as I was with my orignal jaw surgery.

Here is the details of my recovery process:

Day 1 surgery at 8:45 back home 11:11 am Had Iv sedation in OS office felt most of the procedure. Went to sleep as soon as I got home woke up at 1pm. Numbness in my cheek and around my right nose along under it they were very numb. Didn't get unnumb that day had a restless night that night.

Day 2 Dealt with a very puffy eye that it caused sticky feeling numbness was better but not gone slept better. Drooling issues occuring due to numbness. Upset stomach with feeling of throw up occuring

Day 3 Eye puffy went away wanted to get out was out of breath within 30 minutes had another restless sleep

Day 4 which is today face is getting less numb ,still upset tummy , tired, have yellow bruise on my right face from under my eye to under right side of chin.

I thought they would have just cut open my gum unscrew the rest of the screws instead they went thru my upper lip on the bottom then got them out thru that way as I have stitches on my upper gum and two rows of stitches on my upper lip

lattiee

#39 Post by lattiee »

since after writing my surgical stuff in the previous post.

I wanted to say woodwillow sorry your having a rough go of your recovery process I had my jaw moved back in 92 along with a bone graft from my hip so I dealt with wired jaw in 10th grade along with walking with a sore hip. The reason they need to graft my gum as I didn't have enough bone up there but of course later on it disappeared. I also have bad reaction to GA an blood in stomach how fun it was to throw up with your mouth wired shut as in continously so I'm not one of those piece of cake jaw surgery ppl so I can feel your pain woodwillow.

Plus, one my nurses in 92 was an not a bad word but not really smart. She came up to me with an oral thermoter told me to open up my mouth I tried to tell her I can't she thought I was being uncooperative so thankfully Mom heard the commotion said if you read the file you would know she can't open her mouth because her jaw is wired shut.

emdanut

#40 Post by emdanut »

[quote="catsteeth"]Woodwillow, how are you doing now? Swelling better?

Worldpeace, hope it went well. Update us when you can.

Endamut, This is our last weekend. You're in on Tues, right? Are you as nervous as me? Are you doing anything special to get ready?[/quote]

Yep I'm on Tuesday! I was getting really nervous last week but my surgeon was very reassuring at my pre-op last week.
For the past week or so I've been going through my "Food bucket list" of things that I wanted to eat before the surgery. Just got a couple more things left on the list (one of them being steak!).
As far as preparations go, me and my mom (who will be taking care of me during my recovery) are going to do most of that tomorrow. We're planning on making a LOT of chicken stock as I feel like it will be something I will eat alot during the first week of recovery and it is alot cheaper to make it than to buy it. We're also going to stock up on milkshake & smoothie supplies.
I also still have to buy a few of the supplies my surgeon suggested (like a baby toothbrush and sippy cup) and I still have to fill my prescriptions.

What about you?

AWSeibert

#41 Post by AWSeibert »

Hello All! I figured since I had my surgery at the end of January and there's not alot of activity with double jaw surgery going on in the January thread, I could hop in on the February thread to maybe give insight into what I have been going through being 11 days post op as of today! Im going to post what I posted in the January thread and then continue here since alot of you are going through currently or will be shortly what I went through or somthing similar.

On January 31st, I posted this: (Day 1)

I'm finally home!! The surgery turned out to be 8 hours long instead of 6. My lips are ginormous! I am tightly banded shut and it feels hard to swallow sometimes. I have stitches all in my nose from the septoplasty and turbinate surgery. They are planning on doing more septoplasty at a later date. My pain level is unusually low, I have only had a small amount of narcotics ( in the hospital). I do not look anything like me due to the swelling. I can't talk or even mumble understandably. I get to attempt brushing tonight. My next appointment is next Tuesday. I got sick right after surgery... That was an experience to say the least! I also got choked on some crushed meds in juice. But overall I am doing pretty well.

On February 1st, I posted this: (Day 2)
I can't really tell too much of a difference with my breathing yet. Today I feel really congested and it feels like I am having to make more of an effort to breath through my mouth. I have stitches all up my right nostril and my swelling is worse. Hopefully my swelling will start to go down Friday and I can give a little more input. Today has been a rather tough recovery day but I still don't regret anything!!

On February 4th, I posted this: (Day 5)
Let me just say that the last few days really knocked me off of my positive pedestal. I ended up in the ER Thursday night because I felt I couldn't breathe and I couldn't keep anything down so. They gave me IV fluids and meds and a breathing treatment. It was really scary! I'm not in a whole lot of pain, just my throat from throwing up which seems to happen daily with me. I can say that I have definitely been having the "I wish I hadn't done it" blues.

On February 6th, I posted this: (Day 7)
Hello Everyone!! I come back with my positive attitude again! The last time I posted I guess I had started the downhill slope because I have had two very good days now, working on the third! I haven't thrown up in a little over 48 hours, WOOHOO for that!! My swelling has gone down a bit more which is always a plus! I will try to figure out how to post some pictures. I have sworn off all but three medicines that I know aren't making me sick: my antibiotic, my narcotic oxycodone, and pseudofed. I've added miralax powder to some of my fluids just because I know the narcotic is known for contributing to major constipation. One of the meds the doc gave me was a laxative but it immediately made me throw up so no more of that! I am fairly tired of the liquid diet already. Although my Mom made me a really yummy homemade veggie soup that I have been enjoying last night and today for lunch, it's blended and thinned down of course but my favorite so far! I started drinking from a plastic cup because I was getting fed up with the syringes. Small amounts and taking it slow with the plastic cup has worked best for me. I even used a spoon to have my soup for dinner last night so I could feel more normal at the table with my family! It tools a looooong time but I managed with a bib and paper towels to catch the dribbles. I have been sleeping in a recliner with a humidifier and fan close by. My back hurts some from sleeping and sitting a lot but when I take my narcotic, that usually knocks out any jaw pain along with little body aches. I have my first post op visit tomorrow morning. I am hoping for really good news, maybe even grasping for more than I should but I am hoping they will allow me to go on the soft food/no chew diet, allowing me to remove my bands to eat and clean and do jaw exercises then put them back on. In the post op instructions they gave me it alluded to that happening between day 10 and the 2 week mark. I'm not sure of how much weight I have lost, I know when they weighed me in the ER 4 days after surgery, I was already down 7 lbs. I will weigh this evening when I get home and see what my scale says. I am officially 7 days post op today, ONE WEEK DOWN wooooohooooo!!! So I guess day 5 was the real turning point to feeling better for me!

So now today February 10: DAY 11!

I am still doing really well. I can't WAIT to be able to chew again! But I am managing very well on the soft food no chew diet. I am down to two bands that I can remove to eat, exercise my jaws, and do oral hygiene. The only bad thing really going on these days is that I still have a blistery red ring around my lips that just won't go away. It is so painful! I was putting bacitracin on it but at my appointment this past Tuesday they told me to stop that and just use plain vaseline. Well that wasn't working either! The blisters would pop with the vaseline and then it was like a vehicle for spreading whatever it is. So now it's on my chin. Yesterday I stopped using vaseline and just started keeping moisturizer on it. It's still really painful and really dry now because the blisters are drying out but im not sure if it's any better or not. I go back on Tuesday for my second post op appointment (2 weeks post op) so hopefully they can figure out what is going on!

Now I am going to go back and reply to some of your posts that I missed! :)

Hang in there! Believe me, it gets better! I didn't think it would, but you reach a turning point and you will be able to survive and get through this!

My pictures are at this link:
http://ashleighsorthognathicadventures.shutterfly.com/

AWSeibert

#42 Post by AWSeibert »

WoodWillow wrote:hey all, thanks for the encouraging words...

I've actually been having a really rough recovery and didn't want to come here and be a total Debbie Downer. I am in a wild amount of pain that even the strongest narcotics don't want to touch. It is so frustrating.

I woke up with a split in place that I wasn't expecting and I have been rendered perfectly speechless. my husband put a text-to-speech app on the iPad so I can communicate a little bit easier, but IMO there is nothing easy about this.

I was so hopeful I'd be able to come on here and have stories like some others have had, saying the recovery is easy and a piece of cake. That isn't my experience though. I almost had to cut my elastics last night since I started to choke and since I can't breathe through my mouth it was just scary.

I honestly hope the rest of you have an easier go... someone has to go through all the crappy stuff, I just wish it wasn't me!

Hang in there WoodWillow! I totally feel you on the breathing thing! I made my parents take me to the ER it got so bad for me one night. I've never had anxiety until that night when I felt like I wasn't getting enough air! The next day my lungs and chest muscles pure hurt to breathe from the way I was breathing and straining to breathe the night before. On top of that throwing up with the second worse thing EVER to me. I havn't have too much pain so I will keep you in my thoughts on that subject. I hope you are starting to feel a little better and your hopefully are rounding the corner to the easier days of recovery!

Ashleigh

lattiee

#43 Post by lattiee »

AwSiebert-looking much better than I did when I had Jaw surgery in 92 .

Buy Magic Bullet easy to clean and can make any regular food taste good liquidfied as long as you add some flavor.

Edamut -Tues is your day and how long will you be in the hospital ?

Woodwillow how have you been ? You must be 7 days post op? Is your swelling going down ?

For me I slept past my alarm but my alarm to get my son up woke me up and I woke up with my puffy eye coming back so OS prescribed me some antibiotics and said if not better within 7 days. I also am getting lots of tight muscle feeling which makes my ear start popping and I'm looking forward to be sleeping in this weekend and look forward to a short week as my son gets an early out on wednesday then Thurs,Fri,Sat,Sun and Monday off woohooo! More time to recuperate

worldpeace

#44 Post by worldpeace »

Hi everybody I'm back at home after 2 days in the hospital. The surgeon said everything went well. My first night was rough to say the least with all the saliva and pain. I did not have issues breathing though so that was a relief. Sleeping was hard I maybe got like 2-3 hours at the most. The second day was better I was able to get some much needed liquids down which raised my energy. I should mention that I also woke up with a splint and I could hardly talk. But the next morning was way better. My surgery was 3.5 hrs double jaw with no genio. The nurses were awesome and encouraged me to walk and I was able to clean myself. Today was day 3 I was released and went straight to the surgeon and be put in the elastics. I have been struggling to adjust all afternoon long. Its really hard to get the food syringe in. Swallowing is tough. Overall I feel tired but I'm grateful that I have not had any side effects from the meds so far no chocking or vomiting. The pain is manageable it's just more uncomfortable. I'm all swollen and that has not gotten down much. My friends call me sherman I look like Eddie Murphy in the nutty professor. I just try to stay positive and I'm really praying for all of you to get through this because it's not easy at all. My mom came down and she has been huge support for me and I really thought I could do this on my own. Having some nice meals and variety is good. Stay strong all my buddies! Woodwillow really hope you are getting better. Nice to meet u Ashleigh. Your progress is amazing. Good luck to endumat u going in soon! Hopefully better days ahead. Take care everybody!

lattiee

#45 Post by lattiee »

Worldpeace glad your back home but I find it interesting how people eat different during wired shut jaws as I had this huge straw that I could suck thru with my jaw wired shut in 92 and was able to drink alot of ensure .