Post op and struggling hard.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

scraggy

Re: Post op and struggling hard.

#46 Post by scraggy »

The second surgery tomorrow, have to be there really early. To say Im nervous is an understatement. Knowing that if this op goes well that I be back to normal in 6 to 8 weeks. But if it fails that I face another surgery and months of not eating anything but liquid.

What I hope for tomorrow is that I grt some definate answers to tell me if any of the jaw has healed if yes how much,

Why hasn't the bone healed instead of all the guessings that they have told me.

What is the plan of action after this operation.

I'm not even sure of what he is going to do. I know he is going to remove the 4 plates holding it. But I don't know what else. He did say I might be wired shut. Bug that was only a might.

I won't get to talk to the surgeon till a week after the op.

Wish me luck everyone.

JeniK

#47 Post by JeniK »

Scraggy....best of luck tomorrow. Let us know how you are when you feel up to it. We are all thinking of you.

BracketBaring

#48 Post by BracketBaring »

Good luck Scraggy. IDK if you are a religious person, but I'll keep you in my prayers.

Anna5

#49 Post by Anna5 »

Also good luck from me Scraggy. I hope everything will go well, I keep you in my prayers as well!

scraggy

#50 Post by scraggy »

Thank you for the kind wishes, have just cone back round after my op yesterday.I don't seem to do very well under anesthetic. I haven't spoken to the doctors yet. So have wait to see the doctors say. Hope I'm making sense still not with it.

scraggy

#51 Post by scraggy »

Have seen the surgeon, I didn't have an infection but all four plates were lose the screws had all come out. So what they have done is to replace 3 plates and one bit of bone on my right side by nose has healed hey put 2 plates on the left side and one on the right by my ear.

Liquids for 8 weeks and I have a check up on Tuesday with surgeon. No bands as the don't want any pressure on my jaw at all.

I have swelling and am in more pain than I wad last time But they have given me stronger pain meds than last time.

So fingers crossed all goes well this time.

sirwired

#52 Post by sirwired »

I wonder if they used different screws this time? I hope round 2 works out better.

scraggy

#53 Post by scraggy »

I did kind of ask that question. He said something about bone deep and the screws being in old bone but I might have that wrong will ask again on Tuesday . I'm still not with it.

I feel so I'll. Worse than the first time. I feel dizzy and sick. The swelling is bad and I'm in a lot of pain. But feeling so rough is the worst. I dint know why I'm feeling this way.

Norrie

#54 Post by Norrie »

Did you have general anesthesia? If so, it can make you feel really bad for up to about a month.

So glad that you're on the other side of this surgery, and hope that you start to heal soon.

scraggy

#55 Post by scraggy »

Ty Norrie, I did have a general, I feel so I'll, really am wishing this would go now.

scraggy

#56 Post by scraggy »

So I guess I'm 2 days post op again, I'm feeling so much better now the dizzyness and strangeness i was feeling has gone. I'm still vert tired and just woken after sleeping about 15 hours.

The first time I had the op I didnt have much swellening but this time I'm really swollen on the right side that my eye can't open. How long does it take for the swellening to go. Or is there anything I can do to help it to go.

I have work on Monday but am not sure if I should take more time off.

My next task is to walk to the local shop i need to get milk it's only a 5 mins there if that, it's justs the thought of going outside. Having to get dressed. But I want milk.

scraggy

#57 Post by scraggy »

Day 3 and must admit to being a bit stupid, when they said they were going to remove the plates I thought it be straight forward, plates out stiches that be that.

But no I got plates put back it. What I didn't expect is the swellening or the numbness or how rubbish I feel. Why my nose feel 3 x bigger and my check is huge. But can now open my right eye. They ate all numb, none of which I had the first time round.

Still feeling sorry for myself so that hasn't changed but feel better that the second op took place looking back now I was stuck thinking that my jaw would never heal and I would be left like that. Not knowing what was going to happen or not. But now I know I have to wait to see if this works.

I'm going to take each day as it comes not going to worry what could or couldn't happen.

boodles8

#58 Post by boodles8 »

Haven't heard from you in a bit scraggy. Hope all is going well this time around.
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

scraggy

#59 Post by scraggy »

Hi all. An update.

Now one week post op and been to see my surgeon he gad a good look around and said everything is looking good.

I ask will it happen again he said it's unlikely to fo it again. The plates he used last time were straight with one screw in the top znd bottom. Thes plates he used this time are like a z shape with two screws top and bottom so should hold on stronger.

My swellening has gone down a little bit and the pain is mainly now were the stitches are.

I took this week off work as I didn't feel up to working I have 3 day of doing nothing before I go back full time.

My weight lost over this whole time has been 13kg and I'm still losing. I've lost most of my muscle. Hoping that once I start to eat better that it will come back.

On Tuesday I get to see both surgeon and ortho together for a check up and if I need any bands or if the still want to leave well alone.

scraggy

#60 Post by scraggy »

Hi everyone hope all are doing well.

An update, today I went to a joint clinic were I saw both my surgeon and ortho together and it's really good news. My surgeon say's everything looking good and I don't need to see him again. Unless I feel I need to.
My ortho is very pleased and is seeing me again in two weeks, he hasn't done anything to my teeth and just want to check in a fortnight. Then after another two weeks he will then go to using elastic bands and restart my treatment.

It was agreed with both of them that they would just leave my jaw to heal before doing anything as they don't want anything to happen like the first operation.

But best news is. If everything carrys on as it Is now then I can start to eat at the 4 week Mark just easy chew food then back to normal eating at the 6 week Mark.
I am over the moon with this news as I have struggled so much with thd food side of it.

I feel so happy and my ortho said that I look like thf old me, that hd was really worried about me cause I was not myself and all the time he's know me 3 and half years now.

I feel so much better that now I've be reassured. I finally getting back to normal.