Post op and struggling hard.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

scraggy

Re: Post op and struggling hard.

#61 Post by scraggy »

My happy times Are temporary stopped,
Yesterday evening I had a slight burning small pain where my stitches are on my upper gum line. I thought it was because they poke and prodded the area at the check up.
But today the burning got worse and the pain stronger.

I went saw my local doctor and he said my gum line along the stitches is infected so I have antibiotic to take for the week.

I'm really worried that this infection is going to interfere with my plates and make my body reject them.

Will the infection stop my bone from healing?

I not sure if I should phone and tell my surgeon.

scraggy

#62 Post by scraggy »

Hi all hope everyone is doing well.

An update, it's five days till I can start to try to eat. I'm very excited and keep changing my mind on what I'm going to eat. Full English or sausage roll. I really don't know,

What's even better news is that I have none of the jaw movement I had the first time so it's healing very well. I get little bits if pain on some days but it's not that bad.

I get to restart my brace treatment in three and half weeks time which will be elastic th pull my back teeth down to meet. Not looking forward to this stage of treatment but it has to be.

Will update after my ortho app on Wednesday.

scraggy

#63 Post by scraggy »

Today I saw my ortho and everything is looking ok, he told me I have a bit of open bite relapse but not to worry he thinks he can fix it with wires. He's going to start this in the new year. That when he going to start my elastics as well.

I'm been cleared to start eating which I'm so very much pleased about.

Small bit of bad news Is I have another infection and I'm going to see my sergeon on Friday so he can have a look. This is my second infection in a month.

Alicia110613

#64 Post by Alicia110613 »

sounds like a tough journey for you. After your second operation, did they give you some antibiotics immediately post-op? Also did your first infection clear after the antibiotics treatment? It's strange / unfortunate that you are having two infections - I think it's uncommon to have infections after the first 4 weeks. =(

scraggy

#65 Post by scraggy »

Hi Alicia, I did have antobiotic straight after surgery. But about week two post op I got an infection when speaking with the surgeons assistant they said the doctor gave me the wrong antibiotics so when the second infection came they gave me the right antibiotics.

With my first surgery my plates came undone the surgeon said he couldnt say for sure why that has happened. What they are concerned about is that has happened again.

Last Friday I had x rays done. I'm getting these results and seeing the surgeon on Thursday.

I'm just hoping it all looks good.
Worse case is that I just have to have the plates removed. There is no jaw movement like last time. It will just be a day patient to remove them.

scraggy

#66 Post by scraggy »

Major drama.

My surgeon rearranged his day to see me so soon, that I had to get supper early only for my car not to start. Panic phone calls later and one very expensive taxi ride. I get to the hospital a little late. Bless him he waited for me.

Sorry to those who were waiting for there operations. He explained that my plates may have come lose causing the pain and that he wants to remove them as I'm only 5 weeks post op he want to do it first thing in januray. So that will be the third operation

I'm to have antibiotic if it get infected again. But I only got to wait about 4 weeks for the op. I'm awaiting an appointment. It will only be a day case.

As for my car called the recovery people who said if was the battery that had gone and it just cost me £82.49. Holy cow it's now fixed. One very expensive day.

Alicia110613

#67 Post by Alicia110613 »

third surgery???

It sounds like in part, your surgeon/surgical team didn't do a very good job to begin with - w/ the loose plate and wrong antibiotics and all. I hope this one goes well!

scraggy

#68 Post by scraggy »

Hi Alicia., How are you doing. Are things getting better.

My surgeon is brillant. It my body that does not like the plates, I don't think that the surgeon is anyway in fault. The doctor who gave me the wrong antibiotic was my gerneral doctor. He had nothing to do with my surgery or braces

Alicia110613

#69 Post by Alicia110613 »

Things seem to be improving for me as the weeks go by. Still dealing w/ scratched up cheeks, but really not a big deal comparing to what you have to go through. Good luck to your third and last surgery. I think in a way, it's nice to have the plates removed so you don't have any permanent metals in your body.

scraggy

#70 Post by scraggy »

Ty Alicia I'm pleased things are improving for you, I hope your cheeks get better soon its horrible that bumpy lumpy feeling.

I look forward to Friday 13th ha ha ha. I hope my ortho is going to take my surgery hooks off. It's a real pain eating with them. I will miss them ( not) but 4 and half months has been long enough it's time to say goodbye.

Fingers crossed for me please.

scraggy

#71 Post by scraggy »

Yay three and a half months and the surgery hooks are off. Wires in to move the teeth that have relapse and 6 weeks of peace till the dreaded elastic are put on. For my final round of treatment.

Yay things are looking really great.

scraggy

#72 Post by scraggy »

Ouch ouch ouch ouch.

Since they changed my wires my teeth feel like there made of glass. Ive never had any pain what so ever after an adusjustment,Plus I fell off a wall and now have a massive bruise on my shine. That really hurts with a nice hard lump in the middle of it.

on other news I have my third surgery date it's on 29th of januray.

I hope everyone is doing well.

BracketBaring

#73 Post by BracketBaring »

Really sorry to hear the bad new scraggy. Hang in there buddy. I'm curious as to why you're having such a hard time healing. Are you a tobacco user, or diabetic?

BracketBaring

#74 Post by BracketBaring »

Sorry to hear the bad new Scraggy. Hang in there! I'm curious as to why you are having such a hard time healing. Are you diabetic, or a tobacco user?

scraggy

#75 Post by scraggy »

Hi Bracketbaring,
Healing for me has always been a problem since I was born. We don't know why. I'm not diabetic and stopped smoking 3 months before my surgery am still not smoking it's been 6 months now.

When I was two I broke my arm and that took over 4 months to mend.

My mum just says I'm a strange. It's just one of those things.