DAY 3 Post-Op- *pics and updates* (upper/lower/genio)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kate0310

rigid fixation

#76 Post by kate0310 »

Brandy- I have not been wired shut or had a splint, or elastics throughout this whole thing (to my complete shock too!). I woke up in the intensive care unit with just my braces on. My surgeon said it partly depends on the condition of your bone on what type of fixation is needed after, and that until you are actually under the knife they can't tell what will be needed.
I guess all that milk I was forced to drink in my younger years finally paid off!

----

It's so nice to have this site to get feedback, because I think it's only once you are going through all of this ortho stuff that you learn to pay such close attention to facial structure. When I am on the public transit, I can't help but look at peoples chins and jawlines because this surgery makes you obsessed. :lol: It's nice that you guys see a difference (a good difference at that) because so many of my friends think that there is no change in my face (minus some swelling), including my best friend who has known me forever. No matter what, I feel a HUGE change inside of my mouth with my bite....which is why I did this all...but I had been hoping for some slight cosmetic impovement as a little bonus on the side:)

iBorg

#77 Post by iBorg »

Wonderful before and after pictures.
I agree with the obsession. Last night I saw a local TV newscaster and my wife and I both noticed something seemed amiss in her appearance. Looked closer and her jaw is very uneven. What I find amazing is the number of people I see whose teeth look "wonky" and should have the money to correct this. Of course the question then becomes is it a matter of money or desire. I'm sure many on this list would not have done this if they weren't hoping for some help with their bite (and maybe their grinding) and TMJ issues.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Delag

#78 Post by Delag »

Kate - I love the timeline you did. You were quite pretty before. Now you are stunning. Your friends may not be able to see a change, but they are seeing all parts of the person they love and won't notice the details - we loonies here on line have no problems picking your face apart bit by bit.:lol: I see a huge change and I think it looks great.

KeyserSoze

#79 Post by KeyserSoze »

Meryaten wrote:I think you're right that BSSO set-back is very common for prognathism in many countries.

The procedure you're talking about is probably a vertical ramus osteotomy that is done via an extra-oral approach. (I believe this pre-dates the IVRO, and indeed that it also predates BSSO).
Actually, it's not a vertical ramus osteotomy but an oblique ramus osteotomy. In this procedure the osteotomy is carried out farther back on the ramus than in an ordinary VRO, and at an angle rather than vertically. As a result of this, the IAN is never exposed, and hence, there is no loss of feeling (even immediately after the operation). The drawback of the procedure is of course that you are left with a scar below the ear. However, I believe that the scar will be barely noticeable.

kate0310

loonies

#80 Post by kate0310 »

delag- you loonies online have been very kind to me!

kate0310

5 weeks

#81 Post by kate0310 »

5 Weeks

Saw my surgeon this morning for a checkup.
He was very pleased with everything, and said that my bite hasnt shifted since surgery even without elastics or anything- which is great news.
He said the stiff feeling in my face should start to fade in the next few weeks, and my neckline and chin is not swollen anymore- the swelling that is left is through my mid-face around my nose and lower cheek area.
He said I may begin jogging now- as much as is comfortable, and I can also start SOFT CHEW! Thats a week ahead of schedule so I'm excited about that.
The bad news...he said I can't get on my horse for 3 months- which I'm pretty devastated about. Feeling depressed this evening from that, but atleast the rest was all good.
He said my achy bones in my face is still normal too, and wants to see me in a month now.
My cheeks are much less numb, but my lips and chin are veryy numb still.
That's all for now- Ortho in a week...blech!

iBorg

#82 Post by iBorg »

What a bummer about the horse. Hopefully at the next appointment he'll move that date up a month.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

kate0310

dressage only

#83 Post by kate0310 »

I tried the dressage only, and begged, but no...and its an understandable no. He said that my face would actually shatter If I fell off onto it. Going back into surgery and re-doing this all over again doesnt make it seem worth the risk does it?
His last equestrian patient got smashed in the face by her horse at 3 months and ONE day, after he said she could ride at 3 months, and her bones all stayed in place- so he's pretty strict about the horse thing since she had begged too and said how well behaved her horse is.

OHHHH wellllll!

I've got a question. Is it normal for my nose to still be sore to move after 5.5 weeks? Pushing on the lower sides of my nostrils is so painful on the bone underneath. And the bones in my face just have this dull ache in general, but most of you have said you were painless after only a few weeks. Im not in a ton of pain by any means, but im certainly not painfree either.

Starting real food is sooo strange! I have to force myself to not chew with just my front teeth. To be honest, I miss the ease of the liquids.
Scrambled eggs and really soft food is fine, but chewier things are a real nuisance.

Time for a salt water rinse...my braces have totally torn apart the inside of my mouth and its a bloody war zone. **Note to anyone getting the surgery...take LOTS of wax from your ortho.**
I dont have any and thats a big big mistake.

WhiteLurcher

#84 Post by WhiteLurcher »

Sorry to hear about the horse riding, but I'm sure the time will fly past it seems to do that alot these days :lol:

Your pictures a great by the way!

[/url]

MetalMouse

#85 Post by MetalMouse »

I just skimmed through this thread. Really interesting info. Your pictures and progress is amazing.

I kind of regret having joined this forum now, since now I know what to expect with my future surgery :-+ but at least I can be prepared :wink:

Keep us updated :)

kate0310

#86 Post by kate0310 »

MM- Meryaten is absolutely right. And I know i scared myself reading other people's threats, but 5 weeks later I would do it again in a heartbeat. Pain is such a temporary thing, that its SO worth the result. Even through the rough times, I have some very positive memories of the journey.
And I can 99% guaruntee what you build it up to be in your head before hand is so different from how it actually is...and the build-up is much worse than the reality. :)

kate0310

6 weeks profile

#87 Post by kate0310 »

Here is the profile change @ 6 weeks. Probably pretty similar to the 5 week one.
Unfortunately my makeup does change things too im sure..oh well

**exciting news- today I was able to PINCH my nostrils together for the first time since surgery. It still hurt, but I was able to do it. Breakthrough I hope? 8)
Last edited by kate0310 on Fri May 25, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mamabracito

#88 Post by mamabracito »

Oh wow I'm so amazed at your results. You must be so happy.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

July 18, 2006 Speed Braces on both Top and Bottoms!
July 30, 2007 BSSO, Le Fort 1, SARPE, and something else Surgery lol!

anabel

#89 Post by anabel »

Looking great!
Braces on July 2005
Upper/Lower/Genio July 2006
Braces off June 2007

kate0310

famous nose

#90 Post by kate0310 »

yeaaa man my nose has not been nice to me during this- but its so weird because the one thing that I NEVER had was breathing troubles...i find that strange...
NO congestion, no oxygen issues- yet the most painful nose. All the bones underneath feel so broken and the bone beneath my upper lip and that whole area is the most tender....
im hoping that now that I can pinch my nose I can get some circulation to it and get the swelling down....I got so desperate I began putting arnica cream IN my nose before bed so maybe that explains my breakthrough?