MARCH 2011 BUDDIES

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Laundraholic

Re: MARCH 2011 BUDDIES

#91 Post by Laundraholic »

Libby wrote:I am one day post op. =] My Lefort 1 surgery was actually scheduled for May 2nd, but it was bumped up at the last minute to March 28th and I am so glad it's over with. Got home from the hospital today, lots of swelling and pressure but I am able to talk and move around quite easily.
Welcome to the March Buddies club :-1

Was originally supposed to have a saggital split and a Lefort 1 to fix an underbite, but at the final pre-op appointment with the oral surgeon, he decided that it would be best to just move the upper jaw forward (so only the Lefort) 4 mm, rather than move the upper jaw forward 2 mm and the lower jaw back 2 mm.

Surgery is tomorrow... last of the March club to go...!

juneyer

#92 Post by juneyer »

Good Luck Laundraholic.

I just got back from the Doctors office. He said everything looks like it should. I found out he moved my lower jaw 6mm and my chin 6mm. He has me biting into a splint now via rubber bands for 8 hours a day. So if I thought I couldn't talk before, now I really can't. I kinda look like I have an underbite with my teeth locked down when my mouth is closed, but I suppose that is from the swelling. Because on the inside my bottom teeth fall directly behind my top teeth in the splint groove. I'm not going to judge anything until I'm a few weeks into the healing. I Definitely feel like I am getting better. btw this is day 6 post op for me!!

arieswithbraces

#93 Post by arieswithbraces »

jonathon003 wrote:i noticed, with arieswithbraces anyway, you were talking so soon after surgery??

i'm on day 3 now, and still can't even imagine trying to talk. i try to mumble things with my family to no avail; if anything i feel i've dramatically improved my charades game lol.

also to my surprise, and maybe it was the diarrhea, but i haven't even started craving any food yet. the most i've had was a little pack of jello at the hospital on the 2nd day. yesterday i strictly drank water all day! a combination of everything being so congested (which makes drinking a huge battle since i cannot breath through nose most of the time) and my energy levels completely depleted, i just haven't had the motivation to get some calories down. i know this has gotta change though quick; gonna try some jello and juice in a few hours.
I was talking the same day of my surgery!! But not because I wanted too!! The Dr.s were in my room and making me talk! I went to reach for the pad and paper and they took it! :-=
Then, they made me change my elastics!! Everything went so fast! I was home the next day, showered and sitting up letting the TV watch me! I never bruised either. Today I'm 14 days post op. I had my second follow up yesterday. He's very pleased with my results. My splint became loose last week and I had to tell them, so they secured it again. It will come out in 3 more weeks. Most of my swelling is gone and I'm off all my meds except still using the nasal spray.
1st consult: 4/28/2009
Top Brace: 6/03/09
Extractions: 06/15/09
bottom braces 1/13/2010
**FAST FORWARD**
March 16, 2011 Upper Jaw Surgery~Lefort I 2-piece, BSSO, Genioplasty ( UNC hospital~Dr. Timothy Turvey)
April 19, 2011~Removed splint!
April 20, 2011~1st ortho appt since surgery...back in ligatures and got elastics

kelhuntley

#94 Post by kelhuntley »

Haha, I was talking to the nurses in the recovery room! Can't shut me up that easily ;)

Had a good proper look at the inside of my lower lip last night and OH MY GOD. It looks horrendous. It has all of these dents and small lumps all over it from where my braces have been digging in to it. But because I don't have much feeling there at the moment I can't tell. Normally I would have been covering those suckers up with wax to relieve the pain. So last night I decided to do just that, and have done again this morning. I'm hoping that by the time I get feeling back in my lower lip, it would have healed.

Have attached some more photos below - 10 days post op! I can't believe it has been 10 days already. Crazy stuff, still a bit swollen in my cheeks and chin as you can tell in the side-on photo. Managed to work 7 hours yesterday, so slowly building myself back up for a full 8 hour day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Goal:
To have the "perfect" smile before my 30th birthday - 29th November 2011

Braces:
Upper and Lower - 29th July 2009

Surgery:
Bilateral Sagittal Split Advancement Osteotomies of the Mandible (Lower Jaw +12mm) & Genioplasty (Chin -2mm) - 21st March 2011

freakyteeth

#95 Post by freakyteeth »

I love Love this board! It has helped me so much know what to expect. The doctors don't tell you anything!

I'm Day 3 and got shoved home yesterday on Day 2. I would have preferred to stay because I wasn't drinking worth a darn because my throat hurt so MUCH! I was totally unprepared for the amount of bloody drainage coming through my nose and the sinus pressure.

As a person with an anxiety disorder, I was very scared, but ended up being ok and didn't panic at all.
Braces 1986 & Sept 2007 (age 34)
severe class II impinging overbite
17 missing teeth (genetically)- AXIN 2 genetic mutation
Jan 2010 - genioplasty w/mandibular bone graft (from chin bone)
Jul 2010 - 4 mandibular implants. FAILED
Oct 2010 - re-placement of 3 implants, hardware removal
03/29/2011 - BSSO and 3 piece Lefort I
Sept 2012 - Upper jaw - 4 implants w/bone graft.
Jan 2016 - upper hardware removal, extensive upper bone graft

bracedfaced

#96 Post by bracedfaced »

kelhuntley wrote:Haha, I was talking to the nurses in the recovery room! Can't shut me up that easily ;)

Had a good proper look at the inside of my lower lip last night and OH MY GOD. It looks horrendous. It has all of these dents and small lumps all over it from where my braces have been digging in to it. But because I don't have much feeling there at the moment I can't tell. Normally I would have been covering those suckers up with wax to relieve the pain. So last night I decided to do just that, and have done again this morning. I'm hoping that by the time I get feeling back in my lower lip, it would have healed.

Have attached some more photos below - 10 days post op! I can't believe it has been 10 days already. Crazy stuff, still a bit swollen in my cheeks and chin as you can tell in the side-on photo. Managed to work 7 hours yesterday, so slowly building myself back up for a full 8 hour day.
Wow! You look good! You are obviously a little swollen but not nearly as much as I'd think for day 10. Can you post a before pic too? What all did you have done? I will look through your posts! Perhaps I am asking for redundant info! :-)

kelhuntley

#97 Post by kelhuntley »

Thanks bracedfaced! I've posted a before pic below - it is the morning before my surgery. Can you access this link - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6 ... 41e84bff3a - there are a few pics of my before and recovery!

I had bilateral sagittal split advancement osteotomies (lower jaw moved forward 12mm) & genioplasty on my chin (2mm taken off).

I'm feeling a bit swollen and sore in my mouth this morning. My boss has been away and finally came back yesterday and yak-yak-yak'ed the whole day so I think I probably talked just a bit too much!! My tongue seems to be covered in ulcers as well and it keeps rubbing on the back of my braces - ouchie!!

I'm moving cities (from Auckland to Wellington) in four weeks time, and had been doing some job hunting before my surgery - received an offer of employment in the mail last night, so officially have a new job! They are happy for me to come back to Auckland every 6-8 weeks to meet with my orthodontist and surgeon too - so good to find a considerate employer!!

Hope everyone else is doing well!
Kelly x
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Goal:

Braces:

Surgery:
Bilateral Sagittal Split Advancement Osteotomies of the Mandible (Lower Jaw +12mm) & Genioplasty (Chin -2mm) - 21st March 2011

thisisme

#98 Post by thisisme »

Day 7 post op!!! I was EXTREMELY naughty today and ate some KFC Popcorn Chicken. 'Ate' might be exaggerating... I crushed it with my fingers, smothered it in gravy and slid it down my throat. :P

Today is also the first day since surgery that I haven't felt nauseous! That was by FAR the worst thing about jaw surgery, feeling like you need to vomit 24/7 is one of the worst things in the world. Pain wise, I've had none and swelling is looking fantastic for 7 days post op! Obviously I do still have a lot though.

I'm talking fine and can open my mouth about 2cm which is a lot more than I was expecting?!

Anyway just a quick update, hope all is well with my buddies xoxo

kelhuntley

#99 Post by kelhuntley »

Oh god I am so jealous, I want popcorn chicken!!! I managed to completely smush some garlic bread into small swallowable parts tonight. Heaven. I also had a cookies and cream smoothie from a cafe down the road - they blended a whole piece of chocolate brownie into it - AMAZING!!!

Photos thisisme???
Goal:

Braces:

Surgery:

Laundraholic

#100 Post by Laundraholic »

Had my surgery (Lefort 1 advancement) yesterday at 9am and am home!

Swollen like crazy (and the surgeon says it'll get MUCH worse in the next two days), but suprisingly absolutely no pain whatsoever.

My nose hasn't stopped bleeding (esp when I get up to use the washroom), and I was quite nauseous yesterday (so they added gravol to my IV line in the hospital).

Being very careful about fluid intake -- the hospital nurse said she's seen a few of these surguries where the patients had to be readmitted due to dehydration because they weren't getting enough fluid after leaving the hospital with no IV.

Otherwise, feeling good... but I don't want to jinx it *crossing fingers*

jonathon003

#101 Post by jonathon003 »

juneyer wrote:Jonathan- How are you doing? Any better?
hey buddy, been away from here for a bit, probably b/c i'm doing MUCH better. my nose has been pretty clear for the last few days. i also had my first post-op appointment with the surgeon yesterday and he basically made my life 10 times better! while the appointment itself was actually pretty painful when he snipped my elastics and cleaned my mouth out (that felt so amazing to finally clean that disgusting cave out) he removed my splint, gave me looser elastics so i could open more, and picked/suctioned out my nose as well!! lol. it was heaven. he literally tilted my head back, directed the light up my nose, grabbed some tweezer type appliance, and picked out a couple, lets say 'nasty objects' from there, then got the suction tube and gently suctioned out the rest. felt so amazing afterwards!

so anyway since the appointment i've been breathing miraculously (relatively speaking of course) and b/c i have much more room in my mouth i've started consuming some smoothies and high protein shakes i'm blending up. it's really about time b/c my diet was probably easily the worst out of anyone on here. for the whole entire first week i was basically just consuming water and apple juice. taking in at best 400 calories a day; it was horrible. i felt terrible as well, but just didn't have the energy to get down any heavier things. i've lost close to 15 lbs already (utterly insane for just over a week) so i want to try and at least hold ground now, or even gain some of it back if i can.

still quite some swelling my my upper lip/face. still quite a lot of pain too in my mouth constantly and in my jaw bones, but i can deal. haven't been taking any pain meds, so i think i'm going to start back on some advil at least b/c there's no point just dealing with this pain if i don't need to. also can talk a LITTLE bit now. still sounds terrible and muffled but ppl can sort of understand like 80% of the time, which is a huge improvement.

how bout you? you're also on your 8th day or so right?

btw was there anyone else here that had double jaw surgery like me?? some of these fast recoveries (kelhuntley, arieswithbraces, few more..) surely are just single jaw surgery?? i'm amazed at some of things some of you can do already!

also did i have the most done here? (not trying to brag...ok maybe a little :lol:) ...i moved both jaws forward, shortened the top jaw, expanded the width of top jaw, and had genio. still way too much swelling to determine how pleased i'll be with the final result, fingers are crossed.

jonathon003

#102 Post by jonathon003 »

Laundraholic wrote:Had my surgery (Lefort 1 advancement) yesterday at 9am and am home!

Swollen like crazy (and the surgeon says it'll get MUCH worse in the next two days), but suprisingly absolutely no pain whatsoever.

My nose hasn't stopped bleeding (esp when I get up to use the washroom), and I was quite nauseous yesterday (so they added gravol to my IV line in the hospital).

Being very careful about fluid intake -- the hospital nurse said she's seen a few of these surguries where the patients had to be readmitted due to dehydration because they weren't getting enough fluid after leaving the hospital with no IV.

Otherwise, feeling good... but I don't want to jinx it *crossing fingers*
congrats for joining the club at last!

yeah, admittedly i would have never survivied without the IV for the first couple days in the hospital, so definitely try to make sure you're getting as much water in as you can. sounds like you're doing pretty well and are in good spirits!

and yeah there's lots of blood the first couple of days. a big reason i'm actually really thankful i was in the hospital otherwise my house would have blood stains everywhere. ha my gown itself was an absolute disaster.

anyway hang in there and keep us posted.

Laundraholic

#103 Post by Laundraholic »

jonathon003 wrote:btw was there anyone else here that had double jaw surgery like me?? some of these fast recoveries (kelhuntley, arieswithbraces, few more..) surely are just single jaw surgery?? i'm amazed at some of things some of you can do already!

Was supposed to have double-jaw, but it ended up being single on the top jaw only.
Because I had been reading up so much on both procedures I was expecting MUCH MUCH worse, and am pleasantly suprised about how move movement I already have.

The zip-n-squeeze have been really handy, esp in getting down some soup.
I don't have much of an appetite, and am forcing myself to get something down to keep my strength and energy level up.

I love my teeth

#104 Post by I love my teeth »

congrats Laundraholic on getting through to the other side. The first 7 days are tough, hang in there, get a lot of protein and calories!! Try to sleep :D
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

freakyteeth

#105 Post by freakyteeth »

Hey friends! Day 4 here post rhino, 3 piece lefort, bsso. I had to go and get more elastics to hold my splint in because it was slopping around. I'm hanging in there. My nose is still running like a sieve, but much less bloody. Need to "eat" more, only getting in around 4-600 calories per day. Just not hungry.

My mom is here taking care of me and keeping me company, but I am talking waayyy tooo much.

Thinking of all you friends!

dentaltransformation.blogspot.com
Braces 1986 & Sept 2007 (age 34)
severe class II impinging overbite
17 missing teeth (genetically)- AXIN 2 genetic mutation
Jan 2010 - genioplasty w/mandibular bone graft (from chin bone)
Jul 2010 - 4 mandibular implants. FAILED
Oct 2010 - re-placement of 3 implants, hardware removal
03/29/2011 - BSSO and 3 piece Lefort I
Sept 2012 - Upper jaw - 4 implants w/bone graft.
Jan 2016 - upper hardware removal, extensive upper bone graft