Overbite, weak chin, insurance, bone resorption

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Emetic

Overbite, weak chin, insurance, bone resorption

#1 Post by Emetic »

I haven’t had a consultation with my orthodontist yet. Maybe I should talk to him first before I make a post here, but I feel like I need to be prepared for the worst news before I get it, assuming that actually happens. Does that make sense?

Anyway, here’s some of my concerns without the ortho consultation.

- I have a narrow arch. Only 6 teeth show when I smile from the front. I would like a “wider smileâ€

Emetic

#2 Post by Emetic »

I don't know whether chin implants are any less costly than genioplasty - genioplasty is different than an implant - it takes and moves the end of your chin to a better position and it is fixed there with plates and screws. Frankly, I'd think the biggest concern is that genio tends to increase your chances of permanent numbness following the lower jaw surgery.
I don't know why I was under the impression that genioplasty involved a chin implant. I even remember reading about it a long time ago. Talk about memory loss! I do have a question though... for genioplasty, where is the incision made? With chin implants, you have a choice of choosing an external incision under your chin or an internal incision inside the mouth. With the internal incision there is a risk of nerve damage so I'm not too surprised about genioplasty causing permanent numbness. It does concern me though. How common is the numbness and is it too serious?

I think getting a chin implant is a lot cheaper than genioplasty. However, I'm willing to go through both jaw surgery and genioplasty if it's needed instead of camoflauging the problem with a silicone implant and risking bone resorption. My goal is both a good profile and a good bite.

Anyway, thanks for taking your time to reply to my post! Very informative and helpful.

Daveyboy

#3 Post by Daveyboy »

Hi Emetic,

Just to pick up on your last post, if your goal is a better profile and a good bite then I would definately go discuss with your ortho and make sure they know you are concerned about both.

About 5 yrs ago I wanted to do something about my small lower jaw/chin and researched implants as well as genio. I didn't like the sound of an implant having heard that it is not exactly a permanent solution, so I went for a consultation with an oral surgeon regarding a genio. he advised me that ideally I should have braces,a lower advancement, and possibly genio at the same time. For many different reasons, I went ahead and had ONLY the genio.

I was very happy with the result, and haven't had any permanent numbness (yippee!!) The incision is inside the mouth so no problem with external scaring etc.

However, 4 yrs later it became apparent that my bite had got worse, and my teeth more crooked, so about 2 months ago I had all my wisdom teeth taken out, and had upper braces (linguals) fitted over 3 weeks ago.

I expect to have lower advancement surgery in about 12months time. Had I gone with the advice 5 years ago, I would have been walking around with good teeth and profile for 3 yrs already!!!

With regards to the expansion, I too have a narrow arch, however one thing to note is that it is important that the top and bottom arches both match each other. So although my upper arch is fairly narrow, because my lower one is also narrow, it does not make sense to expand the upper arch too much, hence we're only doing it with braces and not a SARPE procedure.

Ultimately my advice would be.. go for it!! And make sure you are happy with your choice of ortho and surgeon, as this makes a lot of difference. I first started consulting orthos 12 months ago, and have only just got my braces fitted!!

Good luck!
Dave

Emetic

#4 Post by Emetic »

Just to pick up on your last post, if your goal is a better profile and a good bite then I would definately go discuss with your ortho and make sure they know you are concerned about both.
Thanks for reminding me. I will definitely do that.
For many different reasons, I went ahead and had ONLY the genio.
If you don't mind me asking, what were the reasons?
I was very happy with the result, and haven't had any permanent numbness (yippee!!) The incision is inside the mouth so no problem with external scaring etc. However, 4 yrs later it became apparent that my bite had got worse, and my teeth more crooked, so about 2 months ago I had all my wisdom teeth taken out, and had upper braces (linguals) fitted over 3 weeks ago.
I'm glad to hear about both the scarring and the genioplasty working out. I can only imagine how much better it would have been had you had braces and surgery, so that's inspiring. Your situation sounds almost identical to mine so I look forward to seeing your results one day. Goodluck!

By the way, do you find the linguals hard to clean? Just curious.
And make sure you are happy with your choice of ortho and surgeon, as this makes a lot of difference. I first started consulting orthos 12 months ago, and have only just got my braces fitted!!
How many orthos/surgeons did you go through until you found the right one? And how did you know your current one was the right man for the job?