swelling question

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lindss20

swelling question

#1 Post by lindss20 »

how long did it take for ALL your swelling to go down, and what type of surgery did you have?

Spooky

#2 Post by Spooky »

I am 19 days post-op and am still swollen! I am actually quite frustrated with it. :x I did not have much improvement for the past 7-8 days. I've done everything I know! Anyone with some good suggestions, please advise!
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006

smile2006

#3 Post by smile2006 »

I had upper/lower and genioplasty on July 13th. In retrospect I thought my swelling was bascially gone after three months. However, I'm now getting close of the 6 month mark and I'm still seeing a changing facial structure. My chin and jaw line continue to be more defined and soften a bit. My mouth is looking wider. Hard to explain but I think even when what you think is the visible swelling is gone, it likely is not. It takes time for everything to really settle and for the facial tissue to take it's new shape. Be patient for now and know things will continue to improve! :D

science teacher

swelling

#4 Post by science teacher »

I'm a month post op from a SARPE. I still have swelling by my nose and in my cheeks. My OS noticed there was still a lot of swelling around the muscles of my jaw. The good news is I look normal to everyone else.

He told me heat, heat, heat and massage the area where the swelling is to make the fluid move around.
kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

lindss20

#5 Post by lindss20 »

I just started lightly massaging my face and i've noticed it's helped!

overseasmel

#6 Post by overseasmel »

4-6 weeks for it to totally go. SARPE.

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

4beauty4symmetry

#7 Post by 4beauty4symmetry »

I wonder if there is much in the medical literature to conclusively document the effect the immediate application of ice has on an injured area.

Once the trunk of a car, weighed down by snow and ice, fell with such force on my elbow funny bone that I passed out from the pain. As soon as I came to I immediately applied ice. No bruise, no swelling=could be there was little tissue and not enuf blood capillaries there to leak and swell.

After my sarpe surgery last thurs, I had ice around the clock on my jaws, as I was wearing a jaw bra and was focused on that area. While I have some bruising there, swelling was minimal and subsided. Meanwhile my aggrieved sinuses just won't deflate and sensation has yet to return==except for the pressure of the rpe expansion.

I wonder if I had immediately applied ice to the sinus/cheek area if that would have affected swelling?

Isn't the first few days critical? After that I'm not sure there is much anyone can do to reduce swelling, cept let nature take its course.

Jennifer