Jaw surgery costs in Australia

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Epyx

Jaw surgery costs in Australia

#1 Post by Epyx »

At the outset of my braces treatment, my ortho mentioned that if we were going to do things properly, I should get orthognathic surgery to correct my overjet. I balked at the idea without really exploring it.

Now I'm 7.5 months into treatment and I'm having second thoughts. I don't have medical insurance, so I would have to pay the whole thing out of my own pocket. Are there any Aussies here who have had it done?

If so, how much does it cost all up (roughly)?

pk_girl

#2 Post by pk_girl »

Dont hit me, but for surgery AND braces, it cost me 550 dollars

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#3 Post by nahky »

Im not quite sure at the exact figures...

my surgery last year, with insurance, left me with a 3400$ gap to pay i think...maybe lower.

i think it would ahve costed me 11,000 out of pocket fully...

sorry they are bad figures. Just giving you an idea though, since im from melbourne..
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

overseasmel

#4 Post by overseasmel »

I had SARPE/expansion so its a bit different. My costs I think for the whole expansion shindig were:

Expander 1300
SARPE 2500
Associated nasal surgery 2250
Hospital costs (day) 750
Anaesthesist 1250

TOTAL $8050.00

I got about $600 back from medicare and about $2000 from my health fund (I have all the extras but not hospital coverage).

So for me it was about 5450 out of pocket.

I know its a different surgery but some of the costs might be comparable- hospital costs, anaesthetist etc.

Oh, and this was done in Sydney.

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Mel, if you haven't already claimed it, you are entitled to a percentage of your out of pocket expenses off your tax for the current financial year. I think it was 20%, but check the Tax Pack.

Leens5846

#6 Post by Leens5846 »

Hi all...

This is actually my first post here on message boards...you guys caught my interest

Lionfish you are right about the tax deduction..but I thought it was more generous than that? (something about any out of pocket medical expenses above $1500 can be claimed as a tax deduction?...but don't quote me on it..

Epyx, how long until you would be ready to have surgery? perhaps you should consider getting some private health cover and sitting out the waiting period.

I am due for lower jaw surgery in May 07 and have been told to be expect to be out of pocket $2500 total, this is because I've been recommended a great surgeon and I'm happy to pay the extra. But my health insurer offers some no-gap surgeons, so you could realistically only have to pay for the insurance premium (if you choose cover with extras and hospital)

So do the maths...say you get top extras and hospital cover for $100 a month...consider that you would need the policy for at least 12 -18months, your surgery might only cost $1800 worth of premium..

as opposed to figures around the 6k-10k mark...

hope this helps

p.s. nice to hear from some fellow aussies!

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

Nice to see another Sydneysider on the board, leens!

You are right about the threshold being $1500 - and that's for all medical/dental expenses. One root canal/crown pretty much takes care of that.

Re taking out extras (health) cover: when I looked into this for ortho alone there was a 12 month waiting time for my health fund (NIB) to start kicking in dollars. I decided that for the amount I'd get back (around $1200) compared to all up costs and what I'd have to pay in to NIB for the lead in period, it just didn't stack up.

chrisk

#8 Post by chrisk »

Hi Epyx,

It would depend on your surgeon and what he charges, which procedures you are looking at,(upper, lower or both, and/or genioplasty) and how long you will be in hospital. My surgeon charged substantially more than the schedule fee.

My hospital costs were around $7600 (for Monday night to Friday morning), anaesthetist costs around $1700, and surgeon fee (including splints, x-rays etc) around $6200. Out of pocket costs were close to $5000 for me. I've PM'd you with a more detailed breakdown of costs.
(for upper and lower jaw surgery and genioplasty)

I agree with Leens5846 that it may be worth investing in some hospital cover for your surgery. I guess you may have more choice of surgeons too, being in Melbourne so you might find a surgeon that offers no gap payments. I went with the surgeon that my ortho suggested, and am very happy with my decision (even though my surgery cost so much) since I've got such a great outcome.

Epyx

#9 Post by Epyx »

Thanks all, much appreciated. It sounds like I should allow something like $12,000 at this stage. I will have a talk to my ortho next week and get his input.

DirtyMartini

#10 Post by DirtyMartini »

I'm a bit late to this discussion but I'll add what I've been quoted. This is for ortho surgeon in western Sydney. I'm not in a health fund.

surgery* fee = AUD 3500 (approx 1770 is medicare refundable)

study models and splints = AUD 425

anaesthetic fee = AUD 1300 (approx 300 is medicare refundable)

hospital accommodation (3 nights shared) and theatre = AUD 6,722.25 (this is NOT covered by Medicare)

so nearly 12 grand :roll:

* bilateral maxillary osteotomy, facial contour reconstruction, and a few other things

vincent168

Re: Jaw surgery costs in Australia

#11 Post by vincent168 »

Would you happen to have the item numbers for these services? (in particular the surgery and anesthetist fees)