Yes I'm going to cry about it

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chlorine23

Yes I'm going to cry about it

#1 Post by chlorine23 »

Being as I need to up my postings so I can get a ticker like everyone else, I'm going to be wussy about my mouth. Just had exposure and (not) bond surgery. Just yesterday I was cleared to eat whatever won't bump against the roof of my mouth. I was dying for a greek salad. Vons didn't have greek, so I got chicken ceaser. Well the spine on the romaine lettuce bumped against the roof of my mouth. Now I have a marble sized bump on the roof of my mouth. But still some vicodin left... Go figure, my mouth got beat up by a piece of lettuce.

kristiano8

#2 Post by kristiano8 »

I would die for a salad. I have two weeks left of my no chew diet. I'm not familiar with what you had done but eating whatever won't hit the roof of your mouth sounds difficult

chlorine23

#3 Post by chlorine23 »

It definately is difficult to eat what wont hit the roof of my mouth... being as that's a major part of chewing. I think this is some sort of joke by my surgeon, being as the last thing I remember before he put me to sleep was me saying something about dragging him down the hill (he made a comment about preferring a big burly man firefighter to rescue him rather than a woman.... jokingly). I only had a week on the no-chew, so I feel bad for you. Two weeks is a long time.

The salad was amazing considering that on a no-chew diet you don't really get fresh veggies. I tried a greek salad yesterday but the dressing burned my mouth so bad I only got a few bites. Salads are going to be my best friend for awhile I think. Crisp and cool... tasty... and you can add meat and cheese for protein!

Happysmiler

#4 Post by Happysmiler »

Lettuce turns nasty!!! - ouch!
Hope your mouth is better soon

Happysmiler

Happysmiler

#5 Post by Happysmiler »

Forgot to say - you have a good cry too - its sometimes makes things a lot better!!
Happysmiler

chlorine23

#6 Post by chlorine23 »

Thanks! I feel much better now. Happily chewing away! And I have to say, I missed fresh veggies when I wasn't allowed to chew. It was like the beginnings of scurvy or something! :wink:

Just the other day I rediscovered my french truffles at the local grocery store.... :D

soulaghra

#7 Post by soulaghra »

Are you guys serious? I have six weeks of a liquid diet :? I had SARPE though, did you have a different surgery?
Brace Day: 1.5.2007
SARPE: 3.20.2007
Completed Expansion: 4.9.2007
Front Teeth Gap Closed: 7.8.2007
RPE Out: ???

Eeegsy

#8 Post by Eeegsy »

Hey soulaghra

That makes two of us then! I'm currently 3 weeks into a 6-8 week liquid diet. Although the last 2 weeks might be a chewable soft food diet I believe!

Things are not to bad, but I can't wait for some solid food! I actually went to sleep the other night dreaming about food.... :x

Brandyleigh35

#9 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Why do you have to be on liquid diet for 6 weeks with SARPE? That is insane?? I was eating soft food the first night home, I had crockpot chicken! I was never on liquid diet with SARPE. Seems like most do maybe a week of it, but after one week its usually soft foods.

You are not wired shut or anything so why would you be doing only liquid? Soft foods should be fine as long as you are not chewing really hard stuff. Usually SARPE involved just fracturing the jaw bone, not completely breaking it, so it is not as unstable as it would be if you had upper jaw surgery. I have on my blog a list of foods that are perfect to eat after SARPE and with the expansion appliance. I think they are in March or April. Check them out....and START EATING!

Brandy

soulaghra

#10 Post by soulaghra »

Man it's not fun. I stand staring numbly into my pantry full of rock-hard delights. Nice to know someone else is experiencing the horror, thanks Eeegsy.

Brandy, um what? I'd like to say I'm mortified but I'm totally confused. My ortho emphatically insisted liquids for 6 weeks. Gahhh. I didn't eat anything for the 6 days after the surgery, and now I suck really liquidy cream of wheat through a straw. But I'm going to check out your blog entry, thanks and I certainly have questions for my ortho.
Brace Day: 1.5.2007
SARPE: 3.20.2007
Completed Expansion: 4.9.2007
Front Teeth Gap Closed: 7.8.2007
RPE Out: ???

Brandyleigh35

#11 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I think some ortho's are just very conservative, and don't want to chance it, but for goodness sake. I'm going to be having a Lefort 1 in a couple of months where my whole maxilla is completely released and moved forward. Even now...before my surgery my doctor has told me about 2 weeks of liquid and by week 3 I can start doing some soft foods, and that is with completely releasing things. SARPE does not do that usually. What is usually done is a modified Lefort 1 where they down fracture the jaw bones on the sides and down the palatal suture so that you can be expanded. The bones are not completely separated, only fracture so that new bone will fill in as you expand. Like I said before it is not near as unstable. Shoot, like I said, I came home and ate chicken that very night. Things felt a little loose, but they were not uncomfortable.

The bone will be fully healed completely at roughly 3 months maybe even sooner if you are younger. There is absolutely no reason you can't eat soft foods. Look at all the blog buddies on my blog. Everyone of them was eating soft foods I have spoken with a ton of people online and I have not met one yet that was on liquid diet for 6 weeks. Even my friends who were in splints were eating soft stuff before then. All of my SARPE buddies were eating soft foods within about 1 week. And several have had upper, lower, and genio done and were eating soft foods at about 2 weeks. Jennnicole was eating soft stuff at about 10 days, and she had the works done Steph too and what they had done was way more extensive then a SARPE. I'm telling you! Make some pasta....or pancakes. Scrambled eggs....whatever you can think of that you basically don't have to bite down on or chew too much. You will be fine I tell you! Just EAT!

chlorine23

#12 Post by chlorine23 »

6-8 weeks liquid diet??!!! Oh puke. I was only on one week. Mine wasn't jaw surgery, it was only exposure and bond of some impacted canines. They just didn't want me to have anything bump the roof of my mouth (and the lettuce leaf incident proved their point... although I was cleared by that time). The roof of my mouth was incredibly sensitive and bruised for two weeks. Now it's still a little sensitive but I can eat anything that doesn't hurt the roof of my mouth.

pk_girl

#13 Post by pk_girl »

Right now, I would kill to have a simple piece of cheese

pk_girl

#14 Post by pk_girl »

3 weeks :(