Weight Loss Question

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kate0310

Weight Loss Question

#1 Post by kate0310 »

I was wondering if there is much weight loss after about 2 months- (not because of Vanity...I am Bride's Maid in a wedding 2 months after my surgery...and I am not sure if I should wait until after to buy my dress incase I lose weight.)

What is everyone's experience with that?

kate0310

#2 Post by kate0310 »

i know its kind of a silly question :?

kate0310

#3 Post by kate0310 »

yea my first priority is definately giving my body what it needs to recover, but a few pounds off would be a nice little present...as I too wouldnt hurt to lose a few. :lol:

My surgeon is going to phone me to let me know the details of how long ill be wired, and on liquids... etc... because they never really told me.

jadeli

#4 Post by jadeli »

I had upper and lower jaw surgery 6 weeks ago, and I lost 12 pounds in the first week, but I've gained 5 back already, and that's on a strictly liquids diet. I was tightly banded for the first 2 weeks (ish), and then I was allowed to take off my bands twice a day so I could eat something other than soup or milkshakes. I'm certain that once I'm eating solid food again, I'll be able to gain all the weight I lost back.
Made a braceface March 14, 2005
Endured upper and lower jaw surgery February 21, 2007

Eeegsy

#5 Post by Eeegsy »

Well I'm 4 weeks into 6 weeks of tights bands, and 2 weeks of slack.

After 2 weeks i'd lost just over a stone. I put some of that down to not eating hardly anything for the first week. I'm using the Zip n Squeeze bags which are great, and eating well enough. But I'm definitely not putting any weight back on, and I do feel thin. To be honest I can't wait to eat properly again!

I guess it depends also on if you lose weight easily. Usually I eat lots and lots and just manage to put weight on, so you can image a liquid diet, almost goes straight through me!

jf74

#6 Post by jf74 »

I was told to expect to lose 10-15 pounds in the first few weeks then I shuold gain it back. That's what happened to one of my friend.

Since I have an extremely fast metabolism ( I'm a sport freak ;)) and no fat to start with I will try to pack up a few pounds of fat before the surgery and drink a lots of high calories protein shake during recovery. Hopefully my muscle mass is not touched.

Anyway I think the best way to heal is to eat as much as you can and move a lots ... keep the blood flowing

jf74

#7 Post by jf74 »

One of my friend actually ate chicken and gravy turned into a puree, lol

blender are so nice ;)

Eeegsy

#8 Post by Eeegsy »

I was 'speaking' to a girl at the hospital who had Upper and Lower, and she says she has lost 4 stone in 7 weeks! She doesn't have Zip n Squeeze, like i'm sure alot of people out there have never heard of. And has been eating food out of a syringe... obviously she has been banded tight for 6 weeks, as seems to be the case here.

Oh and some f my favourite liquidised meals at the moment are:

Fish and Butter sauce in potato

Chicken in White Sauce with carrots and potato

Potato is a really good thing to add to meals it seems!

pk_girl

#9 Post by pk_girl »

potato is my lifesaver atm! mmm I might go and get me some KFC mash right now.

Now as regards to weight loss, I have lost 6 kgs in the week that i have had surgery. Now this was being a stubborn bugger and not eating a damn thing for 4 days.

chlorine23

#10 Post by chlorine23 »

I'm learning quite a bit about this whole eating thing. One thing I've found to help is to be adventurous. Try new foods. Instead of a regular baked potato, the other day I had a baked yam with cottage cheese on top.

Try different curries and soups (those of you who have never tried curry, you're missing out). A bowl of chili with melted cheese in it. Bananas, applesauce, yogurt. Macaroni and cheese. Oatmeal. Just go to the store with an open mind and grab different things. You might find a new food you love, and variety is the key to good nutrition. Use food as an adventure!