Brace Choice? - Underbite Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

stateofplay

Brace Choice? - Underbite Surgery

#1 Post by stateofplay »

Last year I paid £4000 to have a lingual brace fitted to straighten my top teeth, with a view to book a consult for the jaw surgery this year..
Upon consultation with a NHS advisor I was told that overbite surgery is generally performed with metal braces and that lingual braces are extremely rare for this type of procedure!

I am at a stage in my life where a full metal brace wouldn't be an option for me personally... So my question is can anyone shed any light on what braces your particular surgeon would have considered before overbite surgery? i.e ceramic, lingual etc. My appointment with my local NHS maxfollical surgeon is next month and would feel much more confident knowing my full options - even if it means going elsewhere..

Thanks in advance! 8)

stateofplay

#2 Post by stateofplay »

Thanks for the quick reply..
I'm really hoping it does'nt come down to a choice of a full metal brace or no surgery, if it did i'm really not sure at this stage how I would proceed!
Out of interest, just how discreet are ceramic braces?

Eeegsy

#3 Post by Eeegsy »

For the sake of correcting your bite, then there's nothing wrong with having metal braces whatsoever.

You say you're at a "stage in you life" where they are not an option, so I guess you are late teens, early 20's. Trust me i'm 20 and have worn braces for 18 months and it's been great for me, no regrets.

I know you're in the UK, and I beleive full metals are the standard here. And for the surgery requires surgical hooks to be placed onto the brace so bands can shut your jaw tight after surgery, I don't know if this can be done effectively if at all with other types.

stateofplay

#4 Post by stateofplay »

Sorry Meryaten - it is a underbite not overbite.

I think clear ceramic braces would be a fallback option if linguals are not considered, though it would also be a huge waste of £4000..
Apparently lingual braces for jaw re alignment are performed more readily outside the UK, but I have no idea how I would go about accessing continental or US dental treatment?

I readily admit some people cope fine with full braces but for me personally it would really affect my confidence. I have also been informed by university advisors that it could set me at a disadvantage when it comes to interview for my particular field - as stupid as that is!

stateofplay

#5 Post by stateofplay »

I'm 21 and am studying at the bar to become a barrister..
With the prices you have quoted for the US that option seems to be out, I am guessing the contientent would be the same.

Meryaten, you mentioned the full brace would only need to be fitted post op.. Does that mean it is possible to have an alternate brace right up untill surgery in your experience?

stateofplay

#6 Post by stateofplay »

Thanks for all the advice..

Though it would be fantastic if my surgeon accepts a lingual brace, I may just have to consider the ceramics!

Eeegsy

#7 Post by Eeegsy »

That's mis-advice down to a low level if the university are saying things like that. I would talk to someone about that, and seriously look elsewhere for advice. I would go as far as saying that is complete rubbish what they have said.

Eeegsy

#8 Post by Eeegsy »

That's mis-advice down to a low level if the university are saying things like that. I would talk to someone about that, and seriously look elsewhere for advice. I would go as far as saying that is complete rubbish what they have said.

Eeegsy

#9 Post by Eeegsy »

double post.

freerideuk

#10 Post by freerideuk »

personally i don't see how you can say at this stage in your life you can't wear full metal braces. you are only 21 and why would it nock your confidence. many people alot older than you on this site have full metal brackets its nothing to be ashamed of and really isn't that big a deal. many people are a little nervous before they first get them on about what people will feel about them but if you read through posts made by many people they soon relise everyone around them is way to rapped up in there own lifes to care about you getting braces.

so maybe you should talk to your uni on how it would affect your chances at becoming a barrister
as i think they were wrong in saying it will affect your chances

if it is rubbish then maybe you should just accept visable braces will be required because with lingl braces i see no way that surgical hooks wires or splits could be attached to them post op

and it will only be for such a short period of a few months out of your whole life

is it really worth paying thousands againg for ceramics ?

pk_girl

#11 Post by pk_girl »

If you were actually talking about an overbite, you would need metal braces I think, as that is what I received. I am 17/18 and I have no problem with them. I have the same amount of confidence that I did beforehand, maybe even more as I know that I am getting 'fixed up'!

Don't worry I thought that I would be 'loserish' if I had full metal, but in reality, I got nothing but good comments and yeh others are too wrapped up in their lives to worry about braces. My Aunty has only just got hers off, and she is 48, she didn't care.

And yeh, talk to your uni about why having a few metal things on your teeth will stop you, it seems weird.

pk_girl

#12 Post by pk_girl »

bbsadmin, please delete. it posted multiple posts of the above post.
Last edited by pk_girl on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pk_girl

#13 Post by pk_girl »

bbsadmin, please delete

HighandLo

#14 Post by HighandLo »

Stateofplay,

I have ceramic braces with clear ligatures on the top and metal lowers and most people don't even notice that I have braces. You can't even see them from several feet away. They don't affect my speeach much; if anything, they encourage me to pronounce words more clearly. My Ortho told me I could have Invisalign up until surgery, but then I'd need to pay extra for metal or ceramic braces to have the surgery. I opted not to do that am glad. I've had braces for a year and am so used to them. No pain at appts. and no soreness with solicone/wax!

Good luck and think of the long haul. There is hardly ever a great time to do this, because life always goes on! By the way, I am 47 and had braces years ago. My surgery should be coming up this summer.

sec9

#15 Post by sec9 »

stateofplay

I am in pretty much your exact same position. I have to get the braces on soon AGAIN. This will be my third phase of braces and im only 18. I really really dont want to do the metal braces again, seeing as how I need to make a deadline where I have to have the braces off to join the marines ill do whatever it takes. The most important part for me is surgery to correct the jaw bone. After that is taken care off I will want the braces off ASAP not just for looks or feeling, but I dont want that to be the reason why I cant go to boot camp. Im going to let my ortho/surgeron know that way ahead of time. I wont mind worrying about straightening issues later in life. Hell I will get invysalign or something. This brings me to another question lol...

Would it be possible post surgery to augment from metal or ceramic braces to Invysalygn treatment??