How Much Was Your Surgery???

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Graceful58

How Much Was Your Surgery???

#1 Post by Graceful58 »

Just like to see the wide variety of prices charged for surgeries around the country.

List the surgery you had and the cost paid by insurance and out of pocket.

:)
Lower Jaw Advancement & Mentoplasty- Dec 31st...Happy New Year!!!

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Graceful

michigansal

#2 Post by michigansal »

My teenage son just had a Split Leforte I Osteotomy (I think that is what it is called) on 4/3. His palate was split and widened and his top jaw was brought forward. The oral surgeon fee was $8000. I can't even imagine what the hospital cost will be with two nights in the hospital. Since this was not considered a cosmetic surgery, our health insurance will cover a good portion of the fees. We didn't shop around on price because I wanted a very specific surgeon that is one of the top rated in our state. He does over 80 of these surgeries a year. Many OS only do a few of these each year. After Matthew was approved for surgery it was almost a 5 month wait for the surgery day. That is how in demand this surgeon is.

Since we didn't compare pricing, I will be curious to see what others are paying for these type of procedures.

kate0310

cost

#3 Post by kate0310 »

I had mine done in Canada- so i'm not sure what it is in $US...
but in Canadian$ I paid $3000 for upper/lower/genio...and hospital stays are free here so there was no extra for that.

I have 75% coverage from the government so in the end it wasn't bad.
I too didn't shop around because my surgeon is one of the best and VERY kind, but I waited many years to get an OR date
(obviously theres all the thousands in not-covered orthodontic on top of that!)

bunnywich

#4 Post by bunnywich »

All said and done, the total cost of my treatment will be ~$18,500. A little over $12 for the surgery and $6.5 for ortho...all out of pocket. BLAARG! Oh well, as I've said before, not having headaches anymore will be worth it.

Graceful58

#5 Post by Graceful58 »

It would be neat to put these all together in some type of table to see what state and area charges what...I know that would be some work but good all good info.

Blessings,
Graceful

Delag

#6 Post by Delag »

In Mexico.... close to $8000 USD for SARPE. I still don't have a quote for what the 3 pc. Lefort would cost. My OS works in house so there are no hospital fees. He also said he would lipo my double chin for a measly $2500 USD.

Michigansal - I would love to know what part of the state you are in and who your OS is. My OS and ortho don't agree on what to do with me and I have been considering getting another opinion while in MI this summer. Perhaps you could PM me with the info....

michigansal

#7 Post by michigansal »

Delag - Just sent you the info you requested through the PM. Hopefully I did it right! :lol:

Yarr

#8 Post by Yarr »

I got alot of coverage from the governmet because it was a medical process. So for the braces and stuff I paied approximetly 1000USD and for the surgery with hospital fees I paied 500USD.

Graceful58

#9 Post by Graceful58 »

Yarr,

That is unbelievable what you paid, wow...Canada is good to you! ;)

Blessings,
Graceful

Graceful58

#10 Post by Graceful58 »

We were suppose to go to Norway this summer but with my dh's accident we've put it off another year...surgery is very reasonable in Norway from what Yarr posted. ;)

Blessings,
Graceful

KeyserSoze

#11 Post by KeyserSoze »

Meryaten wrote:I think Yarr's in Norway.
In that case, I find it strange that he has to pay anything. I'm also in Norway, and am scheduled to have a double jaw surgery in the (near?) future. I'm not paying a single penny (or rather a single øre) for either the upcoming surgery or the braces. Both are automatically covered by the government.

KeyserSoze

#12 Post by KeyserSoze »

Meryaten wrote:Wow! Long time no see! How are you doing?
You remember me? I'm impressed. :-)

I'm doing well, thank you. I've had the braces on for a year now, but I still have no idea when I'll have the surgery. I suspect that it might be in 2008, since there are still gaps from extractions that have yet to be closed. The OD also wants to bring down two of my molars to close a vertical gap, which requires use of elastics. I HATE the elastics! Hopefully I won't have to wear them too long (I have already worn them for a month without noticing any difference).

MazingerZ

#13 Post by MazingerZ »

Washington DC, genioplasty only:
surgeon fee: about $3300
hospital fee including anethesia, outpatient: about $2300
insurance paid: $0

Yarr

#14 Post by Yarr »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Meryaten wrote:I think Yarr's in Norway.
In that case, I find it strange that he has to pay anything. I'm also in Norway, and am scheduled to have a double jaw surgery in the (near?) future. I'm not paying a single penny (or rather a single øre) for either the upcoming surgery or the braces. Both are automatically covered by the government.
Hmm that is wierd. My surgery was done for medical reasons, and I still had to pay the patient's charge(egenandel?). Same goes for the ortho. Although my brace-stuff is beeing done at a private clinic so that is perhaps why the government did not cover that. Anyway, Im done with the surgery, paied for it, I still have food, so Im happy :D

Gem

#15 Post by Gem »

Here in NY

Genioplasty - 4000 (my expense)
Oral Surgeon(leforte I)- 15000(insurance due to significant bone loss)
Hospital and anesthesiologist - ?(insurance)