Genioplasty

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Skaff

Genioplasty

#1 Post by Skaff »

Just wondering - if a genioplasty is performed in conjunction with oral surgery is it generally covered by medical insurance?
Thanks

kate0310

genioplasty coverage

#2 Post by kate0310 »

I had mine done at the same time as upper/lower surgery, and it was covered for me.

Brandyleigh35

#3 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Honestly I think it depends on your insurance. From what I have been told though, Genioplasty is Not a covered benefit for most insurances. It is considered a cosmetic procedure and not a requirement so many insurances say no to covereage.

I'm in the process of trying to fight this. Sliding genioplasty has been shown to change the pull on the tongue and help with sleep apnea, so for me my doctor wants to do it to balance my profile, but also as one more step to insure we rid me of sleep apnea, he says that its medically neccesary. My insurance originally denied it so he is putting together an appeal and we will be resubmitting next week. If it is denied I will have to pay the the $3650 for this procedure out of pocket.

Definitely investigate what your insurance covers!

Brandy

piner08

#4 Post by piner08 »

i had double jaw surgery along with a genioplasty insurance covered 80 percent of the costs for my double jaw surgery, but the genioplasty wasnt covered at all. as far as i know for the most part it is considered cosmetic surgery.