Help/Opinions needed people!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paul

Help/Opinions needed people!!

#1 Post by Paul »

Ok, My ortho said I will be in braces for around 12 months, I have already had them on for about 1 and a half months (It has FLOWN by) and I can see a slight improvement already.

I needed the braces to "De-compensate" my teeth, but I dont have any crooked or misplaced teeth, nothing at all like that. Its just my front bottom and lower teeth have compensated for my skeletal underbite making them slant (front top slant forward \ and bottom slant inwards \ ), therefore I need them straightened before surgery.

Am I right that this should be easier for the braces/ortho to fix and should mean I wont be in the braces for as long as I would if my teeth had been crooked or misplaced?
Thanks in advance,
Paul

Delag

#2 Post by Delag »

I would think that you are right Paul. If you don't have any crowding to sort out or gaps to close, it should be quicker. 12 months is really quite short time - most people average 18 - 24 months (I think us surgery folks tend to be even a bit longer). As Meryaten pointed out - it can be a bit tricky and just when you think you are done a gap opens (or some such thing).

freerideuk

#3 Post by freerideuk »

hey there i had the same problem as you my botom teeth had slanted in towards my top teeth to compinsate for the gap

and orinigally was told 10 months pre op i am now at 14 lots of little problems can pop up during treatment

with widening of the top arch little gaps can appear which increase the amount of time and such things its really impossible to tell how long you will need your braces for

but me 14 months have flown by and its hard to beleave it has been 14 months already

just take it as it comes if you think too much about time scales it will evental make you extremely frustrated if you don't meet those dates

and ifit happens your treatment goes faster than expected its a nice wee surprise =]

xxxxxxxx

arianna

#4 Post by arianna »

Hi Paul,
I had the exact same problem as you. My teeth appeared pretty "straight" but had compensated for my incorrect bite. I was technically ready for surgery after less than nine months but because of university ended up having it once I'd been in braces for 13 months.
But I agree with everyone else.. everything comes in steps and stages and it varies a lot.

Paul

#5 Post by Paul »

To be honest, I havent been given much information, most information I have has been from my own research on the net, the NHS dont seem to want to tell you much.

As far as I know, I just need my teeth straightened, thats all, no arch widening or anything like that, dont even need any extractions (if I did I would have been told by now, right?).

My first adjustement appointment is on Thursday so Ill ask about it then.
I havent been given a surgery DATE yet, but I was told it should be some time around early next year.

freerideuk

#6 Post by freerideuk »

hey i know how you feel bout nhs i am getting mine done through it too but all you have too do is ask and they have to give you the answers

and ad suspect you would have slight widening of your arch if you have an underbite

but mabye you wont it can be done with just normal archwires you should ask and see

xxxxx