How long After Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

How long After Surgery

#1 Post by iBorg »

In my quest to learn I have a simple question. How long after surgery will I need some one to stay with me? Is it reasonable to think that after five days I'll be able to take care of myself while Judy, my wife, returns to work? I'm expecting top and bottom reconstruction.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

kate0310

5 days after

#2 Post by kate0310 »

I think that 5 Days is a good amount of time, but do you have a backup person who could come if you do find you need some help?

Gem

#3 Post by Gem »

I had prepared another bedroom before surgery so I could be self contained, but I made arrangements for my sister to stay with us so my daughters had some one to care for them. The bedroom was loaded with beverages and medication so I only had to leave to use the bathroom and that was only a few steps from the bedroom. My sister heated up 2 cups of broth for me and that was it. Post-op was exactly as os said it would be, he told me to get help for the kids and that I would be able to care for myself. It all depends on what kind of a patient you are. I would have loved for someone to tend to me but when I got home I just wanted peace and quiet.

ohmyjaw

#4 Post by ohmyjaw »

I had someone stay with me for one night - that's all! It was a condition for leaving the hosptial after one night instead of the two nights that I was supposed to stay. I had no problem taking care of myself. I had a friend that I could call or text message if I had a problem. However, I did find it tiring preparing food - making soup, blending stuff etc. But at least it gave me something to do besides TV!

MetalMouse

#5 Post by MetalMouse »

I am (and still will be) in college. After my surgery (either end of this year or early next year), how long will I have to be out of school? Less than 5 days? Will I be able to function properly after those days? I don't want to have to go to class scaring everyone :)

kate0310

school time

#6 Post by kate0310 »

Its a hard question to answer because everyone's situation is quite different, especially with the recovery timeline.

I am a student as well, and I took 4 weeks off, but was working from home after 2 weeks. However, I was sleeping 2-3 hours per night during that time and the feeling in my bone came back too quickly- so the discomfort and exhaustion was more than what a lot of people experience. I also didn't push myself because I am travelling for a month soon and I couldn't risk any sort of complication as I will be out of the country and far far far away from my surgeon soon.

My surgeon said that lower jaw patients tend to recover twice as fast as upper and lower, so that plays a part too.

Don't want to panic you with my 4 weeks, but just know that you could be back in a week, but theres a chance it will be longer. I think 2 weeks is pretty safe.

MetalMouse

#7 Post by MetalMouse »

Thanks for the info, Kate. 4 weeks is a long time. Were you able to make up everything?

When I had my wisdom teeth extracted, that barely effected me, so I'm hoping that same speedy recovery carries over to the surgery.

smile2006

#8 Post by smile2006 »

My finance (now husband) was with me for four days and then he returned to work. I was fine by day to be by myself on day 5. Have someone check in on you during the day of course....verbally at least.

kate0310

recovery

#9 Post by kate0310 »

I was in a pretty nice school position for mine- Because I went into surgery with VERY high marks, and so my teachers respected me and my work ethic...and basically now im just doing some term papers but as for missed class time and exams they have exempted me from them and are just estimating my final marks. So thats why I let my body take it's time to recover. If I had known that I wouild need to catch up everything I probably would have pushed myself a bit harder to get back to class.
But...my surgeon said I did have a rougher recovery than lots because of the hypersensitivity so my 4 weeks were legitimate.
I eat well, and I'm a healthy person and I am active- so part of it's just luck of the draw too.

Oh and for my wisdom teeth- I had a terrible 7 day recovery...so maybe that is an indicator? They had to take out tons of bone during the surgery though, and the teeth were very deeply implanted...
My best friend went shopping and had chinese food after she left the hospital for hers so I expected it to be a breeze....and to my unpleasant shock I was not as fortunate.