two words for all you pre-surgery folks: tongue scraper.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

angelgarcia

two words for all you pre-surgery folks: tongue scraper.

#1 Post by angelgarcia »

seriously. i wish i had one handy right after i was able to open my mouth again because my tongue was really not pretty at all. add this to your list up there with feeding syringes and heat packs!

i finally got it in my head to pick one up weeks later and it is suuucccchhhh a good feeling :) i'm totally addicted to it now and i use it everyday. cleanest tongue ever! :D
<-- 4 months post-op.

angelgarcia

#2 Post by angelgarcia »

excellent point, meryaten!

gaggers, proceed wtih caution.
<-- 4 months post-op.

JJ

#3 Post by JJ »

What exactly is a toungue scraper and where would you get one? I can imagine the tongue gets pretty nasty.

angelgarcia

#4 Post by angelgarcia »

yup, meryaten's right. a tongue scraper is a simple plastic thingy shaped for scraping your tongue.

i got mine at shoppers drugmart for like 2 bucks in the toothbrush aisle. i love it! i still use it (i'm about 2 months post-op now) because i was so traumatized by my nasty tongue after i was able to open my mouth a couple of weeks after surgery.
<-- 4 months post-op.

kate0310

nasty tongue

#5 Post by kate0310 »

I too am totally traumatized from the nasty tongue. I could SEE all the filth on it too, but couldnt open my mouth wide enough to attack it with my baby toothbrush. My nurse thought I had thrush...but it was infact just dead skin cells built up....EW!

I probably brush my teeth 6-7 times a day now.....just out of fear. And I went through a bottle of listerine in 2 weeks. And just to top it all off...I went to a concert and the security asked me to empty my pockets on the way in because they felt funny things in them, and I tried to convince them I didnt have weapons but they made my empty everything and so I pulled out my many toothbrushes for the world to see.... :oops:

angelgarcia

#6 Post by angelgarcia »

kate my dear, you neeeed a tongue scraper. i can't tell you how wonderful it felt when i finally scraped all that gunk off. it was like all my problems blissfully washed away or something.
<-- 4 months post-op.

angelgarcia

#7 Post by angelgarcia »

poor meryaten..

hmm.. maybe if you don't stick it too far into the back of your tongue? have you ever tried using one?
<-- 4 months post-op.

Amburly

#8 Post by Amburly »

Meryaten you should really try a tongue scraper. I too am very "gaggable" and I love mine. I can't stand to brush my tongue at all but the scraper doesn't bother me one bit. When I don't have my scraper I don't get to clean my tongue which makes me really paranoid of bad breath for the rest of the day.

Really try it. It's only two bucks if you can't use it.

TheUnk311

#9 Post by TheUnk311 »

Yeah I wish I had gotten one of these beforehand. I had a lot of buildup on my tongue too that grossed me out. Luckily as soon as they took my splint out I had enough room to get a tooth brush in there and go at it :)