possible to fix asymmetry without surgery???

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ureadyforacold1

possible to fix asymmetry without surgery???

#1 Post by ureadyforacold1 »

Hi, I was playing around with my mouth the other day, and saw that if I lined up the midline of my top and bottom jaws, my jaw looks almost normal. It doesn't really look like one side has grown more than the other when I do that. If i bite normally, it looks like severe asymmetry. Does this mean I may have gotten into an accident as a child and dislocated my jaw or something and had it grow in wrong? This "asymmetry" has been there every since my 1st grade class picture, so roughly 15 years ago. I'll get a dentist/ortho's opinion on this later, but just looking for quick opinions now.

Is there a way to permanately alter the muscles in my mouth to shut correctly instead of in its current crooked manner? When I open my mouth, it opens up by shifting to the right (into a "normal" position), then shifts back to the left (crooked position). When I close my jaw it does that in reverse. My jaw also clicks everytime it shifts into the "normal" position. It feels as if if I can change my teeth so that they fit correctly in the "normal" position, and make the TMJ muscles accustomed to the "normal" position, I can fix the assymetry without surgery.

Can this be done with a splint of some sort?

ureadyforacold1

#2 Post by ureadyforacold1 »

oh googling found something called mandibular displacement, http://ipj.quintessenz.de/index.php?con ... &select=84

Will this work for me, since im 20 and past the childhood growing phase.

TownAndGown

#3 Post by TownAndGown »

I would agree, you need to get xrays to see what's happening. I have quite severe asymmetry which was noticed in my 20s as quite mild, but it's now quite noticable in my mid 40s. When I think back to my childhood/early teens, I remember wondering whether everyone only chewed on one side, or whether it was just me. So something was obviously going on then.

Do go and get it checked out, and followed up after that. If you have condylar hyperplasia then this is probably easier to sort out when you are younger. I wish I had! But I'm not an expert - I chose to ignore the problem for many years!

TG