question for all who corrected Underbite

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

john21

question for all who corrected Underbite

#1 Post by john21 »

Again me..... :lol: Well,imust say that the last week i found things and info about something that i hadn't in mind and didn't consider a big risk in the searches that i do about 1,5 years....and this is relapse.So,i will ask everybody in this forum who corrected Class 3 underbite to tell me:
How many mm did your jaw was pulled back,and did you saw any relapse?If yes,was it big,and did the occlusion changed again to underbite?Or the relaspse,if it happens is minimal?thanks

freerideuk

#2 Post by freerideuk »

am still to have mine corrected

but as i have herd relapse is very quite rare and only really happens when treatment is done before the patient has actually stoped growing where once corrected the bones will grow as before creating the underbite again

but am not sure am sure other people will know more about it than me

xxxx

Eeegsy

#3 Post by Eeegsy »

Firstly I know my surgeon only performs ops when the person has stopped growing, 20+. But I have heard about people having this treatment at earlie ages which doesn't seem to be too wise.

I believe most surgeries use 'rigid fixation' so the chances of the bones moving are next to none. But I beleive some surgeons go the extra distance to prevent any 'ill effects' from occuring. For example, keeping the splint in for a month, being banded tight for 6 weeks, followed by 2 weeks in slack bands. All of this minimises potential drawbacks, and increases the stability of the result.

It could be that some people may see some realapse due to the facial muscles acting on the bone over time. Although I'm not so sure.

csblackburn

underbites

#4 Post by csblackburn »

I would check with your orthodontist and surgeon to see whether you will have your lower jaw set back, your upper jaw moved forward or both. I had an underbite and had surgery three months ago. I thought for years that my lower jaw would have to be moved back but I was completely wrong. It was my upper jaw that was messed up and needed to be moved forward. My upper jaw was moved forward 9 mm and bone grafts from my lower jaw were used to correct my mid-face deficiency. I can't see any relapse occurring for myself as I have four titanium plates in my face and the extra bone added. It would seem impossible for the jaw to just move backwards with all of that added to it.

I'm sure relapse is possible in some cases but if you follow your surgeon's and orthodontist's recommendations that the risks would be extremely small.
Got braces? http://www.igotbraces.com
The orthodontic and orthognathic surgery support forum for everyone.

TheUnk311

#5 Post by TheUnk311 »

I worry about this and think.. What if chances of relapse were 50/50? What if the relapse that may occur brings back 50% of the problem you had before? These numbers are probably much higher than real odds/percentages, but would you go through with it for a chance to have your profile/bite fixed for life? My answer to this was yes, if I didn't do it, I would hate to say to myself 10 years from now - "what if"