Wisdom teeth are out, pretty swollen!!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Beth85

Wisdom teeth are out, pretty swollen!!!

#1 Post by Beth85 »

Hey i thort i'd give an update.

I went to hospital yday to have my lower wisdom teeth out and a piece of gum taken from the roof of my mouth.

I was told to get there for 7:45am which was fine but then they said my husband wasn't allowed on the ward with me. I was a bit upset (cos i'm a bit of a wimp) as he's always been with me every op i've had!
Anyways he went home and i wandered into what's called the 'Day stay unit'.

I was told i was second on the list and there were 3 other people around at the time.
Well that wasn't the case...My surgeon came up to me and told me there were no notes for anyone to look at but not to worry as it was under control. Ha ha i don't think it was cos i ended up having 5 people go in ahead of me and all but 1 had left when it was my turn :roll:

I went down to theatre at 12pm eventually and i was wetting myself with nerves :oops:

So i woke up about 1pm in recovery, about 5 mins after being there apparently and sadly the first thing i did was burst into tears & repeatedly ask for my husband :oops: :oops:

I wasn't in any pain whatsoever luckily but i was quite panicky so they had to give me oxygen. I also got a weird heater machine directing under the bed sheets cos i was so cold. It worked a treat! :)

I was moved to the ward after a short while where i slept for a bit. When i awoke my mouth was filled with blood :FeelSick: but cos my lip was so numb i couldn't spit it out, very embarassing... :paperbag:

So anyway i slept some more then managed to eat some jelly & ice-cream. The nurses were very nice people, i felt happy with the way they treated me.

It got to about 4pm when the nurse phoned my husband to let him know i was ready to be picked up, 8 hours without seeing him :( I know, sad really lol!!

I went home about 5pm, my lower lip and chin were very swollen and still numb, so i couldn't close my mouth properly. My husband found it quite amusing as my lips were on the wonk :lol:

When i got home i had to eat so i ate Leek & Potato Soup with some bread, then ice-cream, again. I was stuffed!!! :shock:
I slept for a few hours, watched some tv then went to bed.

This morning i woke up in a bit of pain, i took my tablets which has helped a lot now.
I have extra strength Ibuprofen, Co-Codamol (with paracetamol) and anti-biotics which are: Metronidazole.
Still pretty swollen but i'm sure it will go down in a day or 2.

Well thanks for reading, sorry it was so long-winded :oops:

Hope all's well with you all
Take Care,
Beth x

Beth85

#2 Post by Beth85 »

Thanks Meryaten!

I've just sent my husband out to get me some ice and more soup :)

Take care
Beth x

Happysmiler

#3 Post by Happysmiler »

Hi Beth,

Glad this part is over, but sorry they wouldn't allow your husband to stay a while with you... how mean!

That's another hurdle you have made to your final result - well done!

Get better soon,

Happysmiler

Beth85

#4 Post by Beth85 »

Thanks Meryaten he got himself some frozen veg too so will try that!

Hey Happysmiler, yeh i've never had a problem with relatives being on the ward but it was a different hospital, so different rules!
I'm glad this part's over too, now i guess i have around 6 months or so before jaw surgery, hopefully... :)

Thanks again, hope all's well with you?

Beth x

monarch64

#5 Post by monarch64 »

Aw, hope you feel better quick Beth! I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out at the same time as my SARPE surgery last month...I think the worst part of my story was having the wisdom teeth out! It seemed to me that most of my swelling and bruising stemmed from that procedure and not the surgical expansion, totally opposite from what I expected!

Beth85

#6 Post by Beth85 »

Yeh NHS are great in some respects. But they were good to me and no relatives was a general rule for things like overcrowding and risk of infection. I shouldn't complain really, I was looked after well.

Thanks monarch64, so do i.

Had a bit of a set back this morning though... where i had some gum removed from the roof of my mouth, i somehow managed to start it bleeding while i was asleep. That certainly woke me up, had masses of blood pouring down my throat. Very scary!!! :shock:

I eventually got it under control after phoning the hospital but lost loads of blood.

Oh well, i guess it has to get worse to get better. And the swelling on my chin & cheeks is crazy today ha ha :lol:

Thanks again for your comments. Hows things now after the SARPE surgery?

Beth x

Beth85

#7 Post by Beth85 »

Yeh i know, it looked like i'd lost a sink full of blood but we think it was about 1/2 pint or so!
Just hope tonight or tomorrow morning it doesn't happen again :roll:

Beth x

vgmessenger

#8 Post by vgmessenger »

Good luck with your healing Beth, seems like having mine out was such much easier than this BSSO. Gets lots of rest and watch out for dry sockets!!

Victoria

Beth85

#9 Post by Beth85 »

Thanku Victoria! Don't think i see any signs of dry socket, although not sure what to look for? :?

Hope you have a smooth & speedy recovery :D

Take care,

Beth x

Beth85

#10 Post by Beth85 »

Oh ok so i'm sure i have none of that. The swelling has gone down considerably today thankfully and no more pain than usual!

Had a bit of trouble taking antibiotics and pain killers yday due to the bleed and also they're quite large and not sugar-coated :yuck: I'm terrible with taking tablets, especially not sugar-coated. It makes me gag and the taste of these antibiotics are foul :FeelSick:

So i haven't been too good with that but i dread it every time. Luckily i only had to take all my tablets for 3days :wink:

I still have an ulser at the back of my cheek where the last molar band rubs and with all the extra swelling it's made it a whole lot worse. Wax is useless and i currently can't bite down without eating my cheek ha ha :roll:

Anyway that's enough of me rambling on, sorry :oops:

Thanku for the advice Meryaten. You're always on hand whenever people need advice, it's so helpful :D

Beth85

#11 Post by Beth85 »

Erm sorry if i sound a bit thick but what's an 'antacid'? :oops:

dubnobass

#12 Post by dubnobass »

Tums, or Rennies :)
Or Remegel.. that might be OK, and chewable too. They certainly taste a little bit nicer than Rennies!

Beth85

#13 Post by Beth85 »

Oh ok! Thanks dubnobass, i'll try that.

str8teeth

#14 Post by str8teeth »

Might I ask why you had a piece of gum taken from the roof of your mouth? I may be facing wisdom tooth removal w/in the next year or so and am wondering what all it requires...like do they 'fill in' the whole from the teeth? I have no clue...

str8teeth

#15 Post by str8teeth »

Thanks for your reply! So, basically how long does it take for the clots to dissolve on their own? Like...how long to you have to worry about disturbing them?