New pet peeve- maybe you have it too?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iheartmypanda

New pet peeve- maybe you have it too?

#1 Post by iheartmypanda »

My latest pet peeve is that people have the audacity to keep comparing jaw surgery to having your wisdom teeth pulled!
:roll:

I'll explain to someone that I can only eat soft things because I had jaw surgery and most of the time said person will respond with something along the lines of, "oh yeah, I know what that's like! I had my wisdom teeth pulled!"

uhm.. ok yeah whatever! (not what I say.. what I think)

aaargh!

Is it just me that finds this irritating?

sillikitti

#2 Post by sillikitti »

Lol my stepmom had 1 tooth pulled the other day and she was like yeah I know exactly how you feel..I can't really eat either. I'm like...yeah, uh huh..I wish..they sawed threw bone..you can eat in a couple days..me a few weeks.

HighandLo

#3 Post by HighandLo »

IHMP,

I do know what you mean. People try to identify with what you're going through and all they've got is the wisdom tooth thing. I think it's part of having empathy for others, they want to relate.

But, that's why we're here! At least we all have at least one thing in common and can sympathize and vent! :D And it's a good thing, because I don't know anyone who's gone through the surgery.

Lo

dubnobass

#4 Post by dubnobass »

Heh, I've been telling people I'm having both jaws broken and reset, from the off. I've never had wisdom teeth comparisons, I just get people wincing or recoiling in horror :BigGrin:

iheartmypanda

#5 Post by iheartmypanda »

dubnobass wrote:Heh, I've been telling people I'm having both jaws broken and reset, from the off. I've never had wisdom teeth comparisons, I just get people wincing or recoiling in horror :BigGrin:
Ahhh, see.. that's more the reaction I'm looking for!
Meryaten- you're right! I am phrasing it wrong! Thanks!

kate0310

getting sympath

#6 Post by kate0310 »

I agree, its all about the phrasing and spicing it up. Say you have "a partly prosthetic jaw" - so far I've gotten the greatest reaction out of that one- a real face squirmer.

Embellish, elaborate, choose your adjectives and nouns carefully- and you will get what your looking for :)

Gem

#7 Post by Gem »

The week before surgery by ortho told me that when I had my 3 wisdom teeth pulled that pain was worst than this surgery. Guess what, he was wrong! After a few days I was able to eat but with this surgery after 2 months I still learning how to eat solid food again. So yes the wisdom teeth extraction definitely was painful but I was able to return to my normal life within 1 week. However I won't know what normal is until next year accordning to the OS!