Worried about numbness after surgery!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cl2003

Worried about numbness after surgery!

#1 Post by cl2003 »

I just found out I could use some surgery to correct some slight jaw asymmetry.

The whole process seems a little creepifying (is he really going to cut my jaw off my head and move it a bit and screw it back on??? Spooky)

The whole thing seems pretty unpleasant, but whatever. In a year it'll be over (braces and all) so it's not really a big deal.

The one thing I AM concerned about are the reports of nerve damage and facial numbness I've been reading. I didn't find out about this risk until after I had talked to the OS, so I didn't get a chance to ask him, but I gater this is pretty common.

My OS says he does over 100 of these a year and he seemed like mine was routine for him, even boring, so that gives me some confidence. And I'm still decently young (27) and in really good shape so I heal pretty quickly. But I'm really worried about this part I'd like some experiences from people here who have gone through this.

Did you experience numbness? How bad was it? Did it prevent you from doing anything (eating, drinking, kissing, chewing gum, whistling, whatever....) Did you get full feeling back? How long did it take? If you hadn't gotten full feeling back would it have bothered you at all or is it something you could have lived happily with?

Thanks!

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Well I certainly can't speak for anyone else. I just had upper, lower, and genioplasty 8 weeks ago. Yes I have some numbness. Half of my lower lip is numb, and part of my tongue is numb. I also have some mild numbness in my chin area, but that seems to be coming back pretty rapidly so I'm guessing I will get it back eventually.

As for interferring with life....well, not really. I mean I can drink from a cup, and eat ok now. It has affected my ability to really feel kisses on my bottom lip, but while numb I do not lack control of it. By that I mean the trauma from the surgery does not usually affect ones ability to function and maneuver, it is just numb in that it has no feeling. Now I'm only 8 weeks post op, and my doctor told me that they did not touch any of my nerves, so he is fairly confident that I will get full feeling back, and I'm 43 years old. This can take awhile though. Full recovery can last up to a year or longer so really it is just a waiting game. EVeryones body heals at a different speed so it is impossible to really know how long you might be numb or to what extent. Another factor is the skill of your surgeon. Bottom line, mores skills, less trauma, less skill more trauma (or potential for it anyway)

A friend of mine had lower jaw advancement last year (she is 34) and she has some very slight numbness along her jawlines, but other then that she has none. Youth is definitely an advantage with any kind of jaw surgery though.

What I can tell you is this. Even with the numbness I have now I could live forever like this and be fine. Other then not being able to feel anything on the left side of my lower lip and occasionally stabbing it with my fork while eating, I really don't notice it all that much. No sure, it does affect kissing a bit, but hey, I still have a top lip, and half of the bottom that I can feel, So....its ok. I also have another friend who had this surgery about 15 years ago. She has permanent numbness in her whole bottom lip, and in a triangle down to her chin. She also says it does not bother her at all, other then if she has something on her chin, her husband has to tell her since she can't feel it it does not impact her life at all, and she still feels it was totally worth it, as do I.

Hope this helps some.

Brandy

HighandLo

#3 Post by HighandLo »

cl2003,

I think this is the main concern of most people, post-surgery. I know it was for me. Only you can weigh the benefits against the potential risks in your particular case.

I asked my OS this question yesterday. He said even if the surgery is textbook perfect there will be some numbness with everybody, at least at first. I had BSSO surgery 3 weeks ago and have some numbness on my R lower lip and chin. He could see my nerves during surgery, but didn't touch them. Apparently, these nerves are sensitive! Even a little bit of swelling can create a little numbness. It doesn't affect how I look, smile, eat, or kiss. But, I do want to be able to feel a whole kiss again (the romantic in me!). I very much expect to get feeling back (and I'm 47!).

He did tell me if I could feel anything on these areas, that I should get feeling back eventually, even if it takes 9-12 months?!?. I have been feeling a little more in my lip each week. I read that B vitamins help nerves heal so I take those, too.

But, if I don't get all feeling back, I think it will be worth it for me. I don't have headaches every day any more and my teeth meet together correctly.

Lo

HighandLo

#4 Post by HighandLo »

Yes, they do cut your jaw and screw it back together! :yikes: I spent NO time looking at pictures of this, as I don't want to have nightmares :shock:

Some more info I found on the AllExperts Website:

Question:
In October of 2005, I had maxillofacial surgery. Basically, my lower jaw bone was severed and shortened to remove my "underbite".

On my left side, I seem to have nerve damage. It is not numb but hyper-sensitive, it seems. I have trouble chewing but I can taste and feel heat and cold far more dramaticly than on the right. My lip "tingles" when I talk and chew or when touched. The inside of my cheek has a similar, if lessened, sensation. Initially, I could feel nothing. No temperature, no touch, nothing.

My doctor wants to see me in 6 months. He thinks things will improve but he is not certain. Is there anything else I can try?
[/i]

Answer -
What you are enduring is not uncommon after a surgical procedure to shorten the mandible. The nerve which lies in a canal within the bone is now asked to occupy a smaller space. In that case the body often reacts with inflammation affecting the nerves ability to function (in this nerve it affect the sensation of feel).

As you describe, early on you could feel nothing and now it seems you are having a partial hypersensitivity reaction. This is not an unusual response to a surgery where the nerve has been asked to do so much. It is now approximately 8 months after your surgery and in general the optimal level of nerve healing can occur up to a year and one half.

There really is not much you can do but let the body heal itself in this situation. The fact that you have progressed so far from complete loss of sensation bodes well. I know it is difficult but try to have some patience.

If the sensation is very uncomfortable, the oral surgeon can prescribe a medication like amitriptyline or neurontin to help decrease the excess firing of the nerve. The only possible problem is that it may rocket scientist the nerve healing to a point. If it is unbearable, contact the oral surgeon and ask for one of the above medications.

I am never able to fully predict the length of time until nerve injury is completely repaired. As a surgeon who has witnessed quite a number of these situations, I must say that although extremely rare unless the nerve is completely severed permanent nerve injury is always possible. Will that injury manifest as hypersensitivity, hyposensitivity or complete numbness no one is sure. The fact that your situation is hyper bodes better for the future. It is of course possible to retain this hyper state, but in general resolution should occur with time.

I wish I could give you an exact time or a definite yes or no answer, but the factors that allow for the different manifestations are difficult to evaluate. My suggestion is to be patient----time is the best weapon for your situation.

I hope this helps a bit.

Lo

phil

#5 Post by phil »

I have a friend at church who had double surgery like I did, and she said she has never gained back feeling in her lower lip, but it really doesn't bother her unless she intentionally thinks about it--and that is not very often!

She is a person with multiple health concerns, though, and to her, to loose a little feeling in her lower lip was pretty low on the list!

Eeegsy

#6 Post by Eeegsy »

I had double surgery as well as a genioplasty and have got all the feeling back in my face. Only recently started getting the feeling back around the palate area, and i'm almost 5 months post op. When I stroke my lower lip I get a tickly nerve feeling but that's about it!

phil

#7 Post by phil »

Here's my numbness report on day 30 (LeFort I, BSSO):

Upper lip, nose, cheeks: practically normal.

Lower right lip: prickly, but I have some feeling.

Lower left lip, and area below lower lip all the way to chin: still basically numb. Beginning to regain just a tiny bit of feeling.

Inside mouth: feeling in left side of palate, none on right; limited feeling in upper gingiva; no feeling in lower gingiva; teeth still basically numb.

However, I am managing to drink from a glass (or a beer bottle!) just fine. I overcame my fear of that at about day ten.

quinquagesima

Postoperative numbness

#8 Post by quinquagesima »

I had orthognathic surgery on my lower jaw 15 weeks ago to correct an overjet. Since then, I have experienced persistent left-sided numbness affecting my lip & chin. The numbness is not total - I have an unpleasant tingling sensation if I touch my lip or chin. Both my surgeon & orthodontist are delighted with the outcome & neither has ever given me a chance to ask about the numbness (not difficult since I usually have my mouth open & my jaw full of implements when I see them!) I am assuming that my prospects of regaining full sensation are fairly limited as sensation has not improved at all in the postoperative period.

TheUnk311

#9 Post by TheUnk311 »

I had BSSO to correct an underbite 11 weeks ago. I can feel my finger wherever I touch it on my chin and lower lip, but the feeling is not the same. It is a dull feeling and the area still feels, stiff, I guess you could say. It is plenty enough feeling to drink out of cups/cans/bottles without dribbling, but not quite enough to always feel a tiny piece of food or sauce that escaped while eating.

I recall reading that the numbness usually goes away like a circle getting smaller. This seems to be the case for me so far, about 2/3 down my chin is when it starts feeling normal again, whereas at first it didn't feel normal until about the very tip of my chin.

iristurquoise

#10 Post by iristurquoise »

I had only lower done. When I initially woke up from surgery I felt almost entirely numb but my later that day I had gotten feeling back everywhere but the left side of my bottom lip and the left side of my chin. This numbness continued for quite some time. I often times had twitching and shooting pains in these places though that kept up my hope. One month post-op I felt my shirt rub against my chin for the first time and I was thrilled. Two months post op, I seem to have all feeling back but it feels a little weird sometimes. Almost like the feeling of touching a limb after getting a cast off or your finger after having a band-aid on for a long time. I was also very concerned but the results were fine. I was only affected intially in eating because I ended up with food all over. I do, however, think this could have something to do with the swelling and T3s!

Spooky

Re: Worried about numbness after surgery!

#11 Post by Spooky »

cl2003 wrote: Did you experience numbness? How bad was it? Did it prevent you from doing anything (eating, drinking, kissing, chewing gum, whistling, whatever....) Did you get full feeling back? How long did it take? If you hadn't gotten full feeling back would it have bothered you at all or is it something you could have lived happily with?
I still have numbness on my upper left lip 8 months after my surgery. I don't pay attention to it all that much, but it does have that "tingle" feeling. It doesn't prevent me from doing anything I normally do.

It would be AWESOME if I got the feeling back, then the surgery would have been 100% successful. But if the sensation doesn't ever come back, I don't think I would feel too bad about it.

I've lived 30 yrs of my life with a huge underbite, I think i can deal with this MINOR imperfection.
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006