Clashy front teeth

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dubnobass

Clashy front teeth

#1 Post by dubnobass »

I used to have a deep overbite, and now, don't, after surgery to bring my lower jaw foward. My canines are in a normal class I position, apparently. The only problem with this is that I find this very uncomfortable! My canines touching together is like nails down a blackboard to me.

Has anybody else experienced something similar post-surgery, after a lifetime of front teeth that didn't really meet?
Does it get better with time? Maybe my canines are just super-sensitive at the moment..
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

PCPFORMULA

#2 Post by PCPFORMULA »

I ve got that at the moment with one canine, its also a veneer, I keep catching it when talking and eating, my ortho does,nt seem to be bothered about it<mind you I m close to changing mine> last 2 app I know nothings been done due to them running 45 mins over in app.

I spoke to my dentist about it, he said once my mouths settled down he can file the veneer down a little, this can also be done to natural teeth, dentist also stated if this does,nt work veneer can be removed and crown put in, this will prob be the solution to my problem, I reckon yours could prob be easily fixed with some filing down, I had an open bite in that only the teeth behind my canines touched, I hope you get it sorted as it Sooo annoying!

PCPFORMULA

#3 Post by PCPFORMULA »

double post

ohmyjaw

#4 Post by ohmyjaw »

Yup I've got the same thing. Have already had several teeth filed down. I think my molars do not have very good contact yet, so my front teeth are taking much of the force. I do expect it to get better because my teeth are not in their final state of alignment yet!

dubnobass

#5 Post by dubnobass »

Filed down!! Not my precious pointy canines :o

My molars don't touch yet on either side, though the gaps are closing. I hope eventually that they'll meet. Then I won't have to lose my dracula fangs, which are my favourite teeth, if it's possible to have such a thing :)

I just wondered if this was what it felt like for everyone else with normal teeth, whose incisors and canines meet like they should. I suppose they've just had a lifetime to get used to it, whereas I've had about.. 3 weeks.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

sauerkraut

#6 Post by sauerkraut »

dubnobass, I think I can understand a bit how you feel. My crossbite is now gone, and it's the weirdest feeling biting straight down and having teeth meeting teeth. I've had a lifetime of biting crooked, so it now feels like my face has been all twisted round somehow... which I suppose in a way it has! :lol:

bunnywich

#7 Post by bunnywich »

The first go'round of braces, when I was about 10 yrs old, my ortho pulled out a drill and completely filed off the tips of all four canines because he said I "looked like a vampire." (I enjoyed looking like a vampire!) Even then I was angry. This time, I made it a point to ask my new ortho if she planned on filing them anymore and that I preferred if she didn't.

ANYWAYS, my question: aren't your canines supposed to overlap, not meet? I still have very long canines despite them being filed down and I can't imagine them meeting.

ohmyjaw

#8 Post by ohmyjaw »

btw, it was a lower canine that was filed down, which is not a big deal to me because my lowers don't really show. The uppers are just as pointy as ever!!

Supermax

#9 Post by Supermax »

dubnobass, I know that feeling exactly. I kept asking the surgeon if he hadn't moved the lower jaw too far forward :shock: because I just was unprepared for the lower teeth clashing on the uppers the way they do, and for the first two weeks or so when i started to get my feeling back, the pressure on the upper teeth was really painful....It absolutley does eventually settle down and once the sensitivity on those teeth pass, you get used to the correct bite.

My ortho is now correcting a crossbite on my molars and the first adjustments were hell, as it seemed like nothing was in the right place, but I can feel that as they slowly get to their right position , again everything is settling in... one thing I have learned along this journey is to trust that my ortho knows what she is doing, even when it feels like my mouth is upside down :shock: .

PCPFORMULA

#10 Post by PCPFORMULA »

does anyone get your teeth clashing when you talk?

I get this sometimes when Im talking away in a conversation, I talk quite fast sometimes, it feels as if my teeth bite together when talking, I take it this is normal until the bite settles down, can this do major damage to your teeth?