who are the UK Patients here ?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kerry

who are the UK Patients here ?

#1 Post by Kerry »

Just curious to see how many people here are from the UK.

I would be fasinated to hear your opinions on the NHS and who your surgeons where, what you had done, how you feel before surgery during braces and after surgery ?
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

Clover

#2 Post by Clover »

Hi Kerry, I'm also from the UK and will be having a lower jaw advancement in Glasgow in the new year. I don't have much experience of the NHS so far, but my ortho has been absolutely brilliant. I'm not so keen on my surgeon, I find him a bit patronising, wish my ortho could perform my surgery :D . I'm feeling quite nervous about everything now, it's all seeming a bit real as my date approaches. How are you feeling about it all?

Kerry

#3 Post by Kerry »

So far i have been refered to the hopsital and had my first appointment on the 10th october, since that date i have had a letter saying i can have my wisdom teeth out which is now booked on the 15th November, its been a very swift process so so far so good. Im not sure when i will have braces im hoping to find that out when i have my pre op or after my wisdom teeth are out.

How did you find having the metal braces ? Im quite a out going person and love going out with freinds but im worried I might become very self concious of them. I would love to have ceramic braces but not sure if the NHS can do them even if it is at an extra cost, im going to ask though.
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

Happysmiler

#4 Post by Happysmiler »

Hi Kerry

I am having my treatment on the NHS in London.

I have got ceramic brackets on my top 10 teeth. I had to order these directly from Unitek 3M they are called Clarity brackets. My Orthodontist gave me the details on what to order, but I paid for them which was £179.

My Surgeon does not mind if I have the ceramic brackets, but I think there are many NHS Surgeons who will not allow them. The only way you can find out is to either ask your Ortho (who should know your Surgeons preferences) or try to get hold of the Surgeons Secretary who may be able to advise.

My metal brackets on my lower teeth have been trouble free and have never come lose, however in the first two weeks of having the ceramic uppers fitted 4 of them detached from my teeth and I had to get them re bonded. Since then they have been fine. I think this is the reason why some Surgeons do not like them, because during surgery they can come loose or even break as they are more fragile.

Either way, try not to worry yourself too much about it. Yes I prefer my ceramics as they are a little more discreet, but the metal brackets are fine - you soon get used to them and with the different coloured ligs you can chose, you can make a statement. People really do not take any interest in your braces at all, once you get used to seeing yourself with them on, they are no big deal. The thought of getting my braces fitted caused me a lot more worry than actually having them!!

Best Wishes
Happysmiler

Rach

#5 Post by Rach »

Hiya Kerry :D
I am from the UK and having lower jaw surgery on 28th january in chichester, all on NHS. Ive had no problems with my treatment at all and my ortho has been fab. only met my surgeon a few times in the last 5 years or so, so not quite sure what hes like but he does seem very proffesonal and im sure he will do a great job. Im actually really excited about my surgery and don't feel nervous at all...yet, don't know when that will kick in lol. Good luck with yours!

Rach :rose:
Feel free to take a look at my SurgeryBlog

Mart

#6 Post by Mart »

hey, I'm from Cheltenham UK and i'll be having upper and lower surgery sometime next year, i had to wait 6 months to start treatment but that went by very quickly and i'm now in my 9th month in braces. My orthodontist is very professional and polite, does the job very quickly and very well, haven't had any problems at all. I've spoken with my surgeon twice, his name is Dr John Harrison, he mainly works in a private hospital nearby but agrees to treat a certain number of nhs referrals per year. He also comes across as being very professional and has done many surgeries in his long carrear, also has a great sense of humour which i find comforting! Best of luck with your treatment!

Mart.

KriegeR

#7 Post by KriegeR »

Hi Kerry.

I'm from Wakefield in West Yorkshire and I've recently had a bimax correction along with a genioplasty to shape my chin due to an overly large lower correction. The surgery itself was to correct an 11mm anterior open bite with a bad skew on the top jaw.

I've had the full treatment on the NHS and I have to say that all those involved have been fantastic. I think the only thing that the NHS wouldn't do is provide tooth-coloured brackets for the brace due to the cost. As I'm not too fussed with the appearance of braces this wasn't a problem for me.

My surgery was performed by a maxillofacial surgeon who has worked on some very high-profile cases in the past. One of these included a serbian boy who had half his face blown away after playing with an unexploded hand grenade that he found. The moment I read this touching story I knew I was in good hands!

So all in all I can't really see any detriment to surgery on the NHS. It's been great for me.

Kerry

#8 Post by Kerry »

Hi guys thanks for your replies its been really nice to hear from you.

I am having my impacted wisdom teeth out on the 15th reallly scared lol

I think i will probably just keep my mouth shut haha and go with the normal braces, Im sure it will be fine besides its only for 1 yr n a half and thatwill go so quickly anyway !

I am infact going through the NHS so I will be going through the NHS Ortha too and not the one who refered me so im not sure id be able to get ceramics anyway and it will probably only cause complications and so on. I have met my two surgeons who has a look at me one was Ms Mills but i know she may not be my surgeon as aparently there is a new one starting who will be taking on new patients (Less of a waiting time) wahoo.

Im excited to start i cant wait for the end results.

Has anyone got any advise about the wisdom teeth removal? My bottoms ones are actually impacted and not grown through eeeeek

KriegeR

#9 Post by KriegeR »

Hi again Kerry.

I shouldn't worry about the wisdom tooth removal. I had all my wisdom teeth removed about a year ago as a prerequisite for my bimax surgery that I had done recently. The whole lot is done under general anaesthesia so you'll be asleep throughout. Afterwards you'll usually feel numb because whilst you're asleep they give you a BIG shot of local anaesthetic similar to what the dentist would give you. After that you might be sore for a couple of days but provided you follow the guidelines about rinsing and care of your post-op mouth, you'll be back to normal in no time. I was back at work just 3 days after the operation and I was eating normally within 5.

From your perspective there isn't really much difference between removing a normal wisdom tooth and an impacted one. However from the surgeons perspective, he has to remove an impacted tooth in a slightly different way. But as I said at the beginning there isn't really anything to worry about. You'll obviously get a little bit of discomfort as you would with any surgery, but it's very minor.

So far as the normal braces are concerned - go for it! :)

I accept they don't look as good as ceramics, but they're obviously available on the NHS. Although I'm not particularly image conscious, I think savings would always win me over more than appearance.

Anyway best of luck and keep us posted! :)

Kerry

#10 Post by Kerry »

loulou123

#11 Post by loulou123 »

Hi Kerry, ive had my braces on for nearly 18months now and am scheduled for surgery on the 11th feb 2008, all on the nhs.

I live in hampshire now but was living in west sussex when i began my treatment so am having it done at St Richards in chichester like Rach.

The nhs has been fine so far apart from the intial long wait for braces. My surgons great and i get on with the ortho well.

RACH-as you see from above im also in chi and having my surgery two weeks after you, what a small world! Is Mr Wilson your surgon?

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Kerry

#12 Post by Kerry »

its great to know there are some uk patients here because there isnt anywhere else like this forum. I have my teeth out in two weeks time and then il be on the waiting list for braces, they didnt say how long but they did say a new surgeon is starting and will be taking on new patients which is good to know but i hope he/she isnt fresh out of med school eeek :roll:

eybic

#13 Post by eybic »

Hi Kerry,

Are you being treated at Wexham Park? I saw a new guy there on Friday (Gavin Power) he's a really nice bloke and he doesn't look fresh out of med school, I have every faith in him although I've only seen him once :lol:

Nathan (Slough)

Kerry

#14 Post by Kerry »

haha yes im being treated at wexham park hospital too, i have my wisdon teeth out next week ahhh.

have you had any thing done yet and what will you be having done ?

I have been seeing ms mills but not sure if that will change or not.

finnan13

Hey

#15 Post by finnan13 »

Im in Liverpool having my lower jaw set back, I have been to my Oral Surgeon who is based at the Dental Hospital also in Liverpool. Still in the early stages, met my OD and Surgeon, theyve told me what im having done etc just waiting around to see my dentist for some extractions before i start off on me new life and me new face...god i cant wait, no more biting my bottom lip to make it appear less of a problem ha!
Anythin ya wanna know, just email me or that
Ant