midline asymetry

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shani

midline asymetry

#1 Post by shani »

just thought i would check, since i dont have an appointment for a couple of weeks now, i have noticed since my splint came out on wed that i have a slight midline asymetry, i had this pre-op and they were supposed to be fixing this. has anyone had a similar problem and if so, was it fixed with the elastics or did it stay like that?
ta, shani

BallPointPen

#2 Post by BallPointPen »

I had exactly the same problem, in fact my midlines were further apart after the surgery than they were before it, about 2mm. I saw my ortho on Tuesday and he gave me some elastics to wear at nights only. It is now Friday and my midlines are perfectly lined up. It does however seem to have given me a bit of a crossbite.

jjames

#3 Post by jjames »

Shani -
I had BSSO on Oct. 1 and I've had the same problem. Before the surgery I had the ever so slight crossbite that was barely discernable - as a matter of fact you couldn't even tell unless you pulled out a string and lined things up and really looked for it. Now after my BSSO it's pretty bad (about 2 mm), and the one side I'm supposed to be wearing elastics on to correct it seem to making it WORSE!!! I'm sick about it, but my ortho said she could help it with elastics, I'm hoping this is so.

Spooky

#4 Post by Spooky »

don't worry. the post-op brace work with your orthodontist will solve a lot of the little problems. I had the same issue. The rubber bands will take care of the problem and guide the teeth to the correct position.
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006